What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Spas  (Read 13585 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Arctic Spas
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 02:19:40 am »
I have been using arctic chemicals since day 1.  I use the disposable filters so I dont need clarifier, scale etc.  It is not required.

I use bromine tabs, that arctic sells, I believe that they are spa boss chemicals.  I use arctic refresh which is the 'shock'.  I also use perfect balance by arctic for alk and ph up and down which I never use.

Every week, I add some tabs to the brominator, I shock once a week or after a heavy use, I add 2 capfuls of perfect balance as the bromine causes my alk to drop.  That is it.  No more or less.

Some people may disagree, and I would not expect this to be considered as the gospel.  It works for me and it is easy.  REALLY EASY.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 02:19:40 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 08:44:56 am »
I have been using arctic chemicals since day 1.  I use the disposable filters so I dont need clarifier, scale etc.  It is not required.

I use bromine tabs, that arctic sells, I believe that they are spa boss chemicals.  I use arctic refresh which is the 'shock'.  I also use perfect balance by arctic for alk and ph up and down which I never use.

Every week, I add some tabs to the brominator, I shock once a week or after a heavy use, I add 2 capfuls of perfect balance as the bromine causes my alk to drop.  That is it.  No more or less.

Some people may disagree, and I would not expect this to be considered as the gospel.  It works for me and it is easy.  REALLY EASY.

Bosco, how does that work?  No scale, no clairifer? I thought disposable filters ment you didn't clean them, but I  don't understand how they elimiate the need for scale  or clairifier?  
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 09:20:16 am »
Drewstar,

Some disposables filter finer than regular filters.

I also think it depends on the water. I can't compare Bosco's water to mine but I don't use scaler as my water comes out of the tap very soft. As far as clarifier, if I keep up with the water I don't need it either.

What Bosco says is true - there is no gospel in water care, it's whatever works for an individual.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 09:30:26 am »
Drewstar,

Some disposables filter finer than regular filters.

I also think it depends on the water. I can't compare Bosco's water to mine but I don't use scaler as my water comes out of the tap very soft. As far as clarifier, if I keep up with the water I don't need it either.

What Bosco says is true - there is no gospel in water care, it's whatever works for an individual.

I read it as he attributed it to the fiters and that his filters, either due to the fact that they were disposable or had a smaller pore size eliminated the need for scale or clairifers.   I didn't think pore size could do that, and wanted to understand it better.
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 10:00:31 am »
drewster, I was told that when I use the disposable filters, not to add clariffier or scale.  The explanation that I was explained was that the filter will get clogged up quickly and ruined. It is my unerstanding that some chemicals clump material together so they are bigger and that the pleated filter can pick it up better.

Now I know that there has been serious debate over the past whether or not disposable micropure filters actually have the abillity to filter down to one micron.  I dont know the answer and dont really care to know.

I just know that every 4 to 5 months I add a new one and thats it.  I was told never to add scale or stain, clarifiers and never to use the chems to clean the filter.  

I must say, I have yet to have an issue with clarity or scale and stain problems.  I mean this honestly, absolutely never.  

here is the info from the website.

Micron Filters
Pool and spa filtration has gone to a new level with the Micron Disposable filters.
Filtration is based on 2 standards elements, Micron Rating (The size of the particles that are being filtered) and Efficiency (The percentage of particles above a certain size that are stopped by the filter), not square ft of filtration. Our micron disposable filters have the highest rating in both Micron and Efficiency Rating than any pool and spa filter on the market today.

What Disposable Filters Can Offer That Cartridges Can Not:
No filter cleaning needed with costly and dangerous filter cleaners.
Lower density at the surface of the filter with progressively higher density towards the center.
Particles are trapped throughout the entire cross section of the filter, creating superior dirt-holding capacity.
Patented thermally-bonded blown microfibre process assures consistent performance, filter to filter.
No leachables or extractable's, the filter holds onto all that it filters.
Inert material means broad chemical compatibility.
Lower maintenance time and costs.
Longer Optimum Filter Life Expectancy.
Increased Filtration
Filters faster and more efficiently than any other spa filter on the market.
Quicker water recovery after heavy use, takes contaminants out of water before they build-up and cause a decrease in sanitizers.
Lasts 2 -3 times longer than your standard cartridge filter.
Eliminates the need for Defoamers, Clarifiers, Cleaners, Enzymes and Descummers.
Chemicals last longer with less contaminants in the water, Less chemical problems and longer water life.
Removes solids in water and lowers your TDS on a constant basis.
Takes out minerals, stopping buildup on your equipment and heater, extending the life of your equipment.

Directions on use:

Micron disposable filters are meant to last from 2-5 months depending on use and chemicals added. To get maximum filter life with crystal clear water you do not need to use enzymes, brighteners, clarifiers, coagulating agents, or stain & scale preventers. Your filters natural properties will attract oils and scum that go through standard filters, so you can decrease or stop the use of defoamers or other anti-foaming agents.
*The filter will be full and should be changed when the color darkens to the core or the filter core is full of oils and contaminants and looks very saturated and clogged.

*Do not take the filter out and rinse off. Place the filter in the spa and do not check until at least 2-3 months later. If water goes cloudy, adjust chemicals and boost filtration to maximum for 24 hrs.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:13:25 am by bosco0633 »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 10:15:30 am »
Just to further add.  Several hottub companies have also started adding microban product to their shell construction.  Here is a little note that I took from Microbans web site.

There’s no better place to seek relaxation and relief from stress than a spa. However, the high temperatures and wet environment can make an unprotected spa surface a target for the growth of bacteria. Look for a spa or hot tub with a non-porous Lucite® surface and one that offers the added protection of Microban® antimicrobial product protection. Microban protection inhibits the growth of bacteria that can cause stains and odors on the surface of the spa. The continuous antimicrobial cleaning action makes your spa surface easier to clean and keeps it cleaner between cleanings. Microban protection is not a substitute for normal water treatment chemicals.

This sounds like it also contributes to the stain and scale issue.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 10:15:31 am »
How much does a disposable filter cost?  I was quoted $38 for one from my dealer.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 10:17:11 am »
I get 3 filters at a time for 90.00.  or they are 34.95 here.  So that seems like an accurate price range to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 10:17:45 am »
Do you get foam in your tub?  
07 Caldera Geneva

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 10:23:25 am »
I had foam once in almost 3 years.  I had 5 friends in the tub with soap, lotions etc on.  The tub took care of itself though and was better by the morning.  But the foam was not out of control like some of the pictures that you see.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 10:34:28 am »
I had foam once in almost 3 years.  I had 5 friends in the tub with soap, lotions etc on.  The tub took care of itself though and was better by the morning.  But the foam was not out of control like some of the pictures that you see.

wow.  

How often do you have friends with suits on in the tub?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:35:29 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 01:28:37 pm »
Help the illegal aliens out and buy American. ;D
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 08:56:16 pm »
I always have washed clean suits no soap on standby for all company.  All sizes, we got them on sale at old navy at the end of the season last year.  This way no worries.

Steelerpete

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2007, 06:36:40 pm »
Thanks Bosco, all the info. was great and the tub is being delivered on Thursday ;D so lots of tubbing on the long weekend. Wooo Hooo  8-)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 08:16:13 pm »
Steelerpete, did you get the tub??  where are your pictures

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 08:16:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42