What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Lifter Question  (Read 4627 times)

caribbeansun

Cover Lifter Question
« on: July 10, 2007, 08:04:44 am »
Hopefully I can describe the situation adequately to allow for answers.  The question is "Do I need a different kind of cover lifter than the standard?"

The space the tub is going into:

- Recessed into a deck approximately 14" (leaving 23" above the deck) - there will be a platform around the tub on the sides and front
- This is a multi-level deck so there is actually decking immediately behind the tub and about 48" above the top of the tub  
- Space around the tub will be approx 12" between tub and brick wall on right side, 2" between tub and retaining wall that extends approx. 18" above the deck across the back, 24" of relatively open space to the left and the front is open to steps across the entire space.  In other words more or less like a C with the tub up against the back wall

I wanted the cover to fold into the space above the top of the retaining wall at the back and overhead deck - roughly a 24" deep hollow.

Given all of that (and hopefully you can picture what I'm describing) will the standard lifter be okay or do I need a different one ie. one for a flush mounted tub (the kind for tubs completely sunk into the ground or a deck).

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:05:33 am by caribbeansun »

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Lifter Question
« on: July 10, 2007, 08:04:44 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Cover Lifter Question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:08 am »
Hey C-Sun

What tub are you getting? What lifter are you getting?  Different lifters get mounted differently (Some higher, some lower along the hot tubs side, and there are some lifters that can mount to the deck.) Not all dealers offer the same lifter. There is no "standard" lifter for any one tub.

I had a hard time picturing what you want the cover and lifter to do (back of the retaining wall?) but your answer is yes....even without understanding the details, you will need to pay special attention to the lifter for this  application and not just take what ever the dealer throws in.  I would talk with the dealer selling you the tub and have him come out and look at what your set up is. You may have to order a lifter that the dealer does not carry.

Dr Spa, co owner of Roberts hot tubs, who post here, has several different lifter styles;

Would one of these work?  http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover.htm

I was thinking maybe this? http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover-up.htm

I hope that helps.   :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:26:42 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:37:48 am »
I am working on a cover removal item. You press a button on the side of spa and the cover dematerializes and when you are done press the button again and it rematerializes right back in place. I am still a few years away though.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:10:45 am »
An insulating force field? SWEET!!!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:25:28 am »
A force field or more of a containment barrier? (A deflector shield would just be silly)

I would think a level 3 force field would work, assuming you could get the tacheons to allign correctly, of course the power supply would need to be polished dythlium crystals (of course). It is an interesting therory though....how would the anti matter injector work?
07 Caldera Geneva

caribbeansun

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:31:58 pm »
Thanks Drew - I'm pretty sure there are a number of the deck mounted versions on Dr. Spa's site that will work well in this situation.  I had the dealer out about an hour ago and he really wasn't any help at all.  His answer was no lifter at all which I'm prepared to try.  If that proves to difficult for my wife then I'll get one of the lifters for Dr. Spa.

As to the tub - it's an Artesian Piper Glen.  Don't know what kind of lifter they were including.

I guess I should have tried this artistic line drawing in the first post  ::)

_______|
|
|
|
|48"
|
|                 ___________________
|__18"__ 2" |                                |
            |     |
 Wall     |     |      Hot tub
            |     |

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:32:30 pm by caribbeansun »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 12:45:04 pm »
So, going by the good dr's site  http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover.htm  ( should be on comiision for all the free advertsiing I do for that guy  ;) )    It sounds like there are several lifters that would work.

1) you need to mout the lifter up close to shell lip, correct?

2) The cover can't drop below the back of the tub.

There are several that Doc has that meet this need. IT looks like the Cover Valet is  the one?

And maybe the cover shelf and/or something as simple as the Cover keeper would work?

Given that the Piper Glen is 92 x 92 you will need to fold the cover in half (47" add in a bit for the foam thickness) and you are pretty tight with the 48" recess.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:39:41 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 01:47:03 pm »
CS-

I used the cover caddy
http://www.spadepot.com/warehouse/lftguide.htm?gclid=CL2qxbvEnY0CFQ54HgoddhdP0g

It does a few things differently then the others.  It only takes up one side not three like a lot other lifters.  This allows you to put the tub up against the wall without a 6" space for the usual cover arms.  This way no crud and leaves get caught down there.

It works great.  This site looks a little expensive.  I think I got mine for under $120.  It was just the first site that had it pictured.

also....with this lifter, the cover is only about 12 inches above the side when the cover is off the tub....unlike many others that can be 2-3 feet above the side of the tub.  I hate looking into a cover.

The specs may work, good luck.

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 03:49:13 pm »
I know that our spas come with the covermate I cover lifter. It needs about 18 inches of clearance between spa and wall. You look to have 2 feet. It also sits higher so that it should not interfere with you deck. Here is a video...http://www.bullfrogspas.com/pages/video-acc-coverlifter.asp

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 03:59:52 pm »
I am working on a cover removal item. You press a button on the side of spa and the cover dematerializes and when you are done press the button again and it rematerializes right back in place. I am still a few years away though.

I'll let you borrow my time-displacement transporter to go into the future and capitalize on the technological advances if it will help you...for a nominal fee and a percentage of the profits.  I've done it before.

Seriously.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 03:56:30 pm »
Really useful thread - I have opted for the Cover Caddy - cheers for the info hottbpete

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 03:56:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42