What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question about water level  (Read 4706 times)

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
Question about water level
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:52:36 pm »
We have a Hot spring Grandee and normally keep the water level fairly high:  it is usually just right for two people, as normally my wife and I are the only ones in our tub.  However, we are having some occasions when we invite some friends over and the population of people in the tub increases.  If I don't adjust the water level beforehand it goes up very high:  to the base of the diverter valve handles and overlapping the secondary control panel.  

My question is simple:  what do most people do?  Do they add or remove water, or just keep it at the level that works for the most people that are in the tub.  Do I risk damaging something by letting the level get too high?

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts anyone can offer?

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Question about water level
« on: June 23, 2007, 07:52:36 pm »

Spiderman

Re: Question about water level
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:44:42 pm »
When I add water to our Jetsetter, I go about 1" above the four precision jets above the Moto DX jet.  With my wife and two small kids, the water gets high and the kids usually splash some of it overboard.   How high are you filling your tub?
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:56:36 pm »
When I fill the tub I fill it to about an inch over the neck jets.  I let it drop until the the water level just reaches the top of the jets.  That level works best for my wife and I.

Bill

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 04:35:25 pm »
Do I risk damaging something by letting the level get too high?

Not as far as I know - hopefully the more experienced members will chime in here.  I just let my water slop out when I have 5+ people in there.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 04:43:47 pm »

Not as far as I know - hopefully the more experienced members will chime in here.  I just let my water slop out when I have 5+ people in there.

;D ;D ;D

I was just picturing my daughter's birthday party--10 12-year olds in January.  I had eaves of ice/icicles hanging off the tub.  They were in and out, rolling in the snow, creating more waves when they hopped back in.....  I should've taken a picture.  Water was constantly flowing over and out.  Thank goodness nothing important froze!
2005 HS Vanguard

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:51:55 am »
That is a typical problem with Hot Springs, they say it can seat a certain number but if you put that amount of people in the spa it will overflow. Three average size grown men can make sovereign overflow.

The only fix is to lower the water if you know extra folks are getting in.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 02:27:08 pm »
I always try to keep my water level below the pillows (when no one is in the tub).  Not having the pillows soaking 24 x 7 in the water can greatly extend thier life.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:28:27 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 02:30:25 pm »
Gary, just wondering why you say it is typical for Hot Springs. Is the normal operating water level closer to the top of the tub?  

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Gary

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 02:37:13 pm »
Gary, just wondering why you say it is typical for Hot Springs. Is the normal operating water level closer to the top of the tub?  

Try to put the number of people they say it holds (with the water level where they state it needs to be) and most of their spas and see what happens. I have heard this complaint quite often through the years. That is one thing I could not understand about HS, you buy a 7' spa but good luck putting a family of four in it without making a mess on the ground.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 03:16:30 pm »
I guess I am wondering why that wouldn't happen in all spas?  I have probably had a max of 6 people in my tub at a time. I don't recall the waterlevel going up to my controls, but I think it got high enough to make the waterfall really small ;D

Gary

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 03:22:11 pm »
I guess I am wondering why that wouldn't happen in all spas?  I have probably had a max of 6 people in my tub at a time. I don't recall the waterlevel going up to my controls, but I think it got high enough to make the waterfall really small ;D

Design.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 03:42:53 pm »

Design.

Aren't most spas very similliar? I see similliar seating arangements, simillliar dimensions, (including height)  and simillair volumes of water.  

What spas don't?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 04:32:06 pm »

Aren't most spas very similliar? I see similliar seating arangements, simillliar dimensions, (including height)  and simillair volumes of water.  

What spas don't?

I'm not understanding that either.

I think we've all noted on these sites a few times that the spa really holds 1 less person than they always claim to so a 6-person spa is really a 5-person, 4=3, ...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 05:40:31 pm »
So if a spa was designed like a funnel, the water level shouldn't spill over. Other than that, what makes Hot Springs unique in that respect?
I would think that unless the water level was closer to the top of the spa out of necessity (to accomodate the filter or something), the water would be displaced similarly in all spas. Are you just kidding, Gary?
Common, you have peaked my interest...inquiring minds want to know

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:35:35 am »
I've been in a D1, hotspring, coleman, great lakes, and caldera they all over flow when you put the max number of peoplr in it. The grandee I have actually seems to overflow the least. I had 5 adults in it and it didn't overflow.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:35:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42