What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical requirments  (Read 2064 times)

rutten

electrical requirments
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:00:23 am »
I am new to the board and this may be a silly question.  Just purchased my first hot tub.  It is a Hot springs soveriegn.  The electrical requirments call for a 50 amp breaker in the main panel.  I have a 40 amp that is in the panal that is not in use.  Guess I am wondering if a 40 amp will work OK or do I pull it out and buy a 50 to replace it.  Work with a electrician that says 40 amp breaker is plenty and will work but at times I question his opinion.

Hot Tub Forum

electrical requirments
« on: June 15, 2007, 03:00:23 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: electrical requirments
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:35:35 am »
You might get away with the 40.  It's possible that you may have nuissance tripping when you're running the spa at full speed- heater on and all pumps working.  

If you're having an electrician do your spa wiring, install that 50 amp breaker now.  
Way cheaper to have it done now vs making a return trip after all the big work is complete.

If this is something you can do yourself, you can try the 40 and put in the 50 later if you have trouble.  

Never put in a breaker rated higher than the recommendation.  Lower won't hurt except for the wear and tear from nuisance tripping, if any.

If you question your electrician's opinion, why do you use him?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 07:39:35 am by Brewman »
Brewman

rutten

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 08:38:44 am »
Brewman,  Thanks for the response.  I will be doing my own wiring on the hot tub. The electrician is a friend of mine but will not be doing the work for me.  

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:00:43 am »
Not to be a jerk but if you don't know if the 40 will work when a 50 is called for by the manufacturer, maybe you shouldn't be doing the work?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:35:47 am »
You might get away with the 40.  It's possible that you may have nuissance tripping when you're running the spa at full speed- heater on and all pumps working.  

If you're having an electrician do your spa wiring, install that 50 amp breaker now.  
Way cheaper to have it done now vs making a return trip after all the big work is complete.

If this is something you can do yourself, you can try the 40 and put in the 50 later if you have trouble.  

Never put in a breaker rated higher than the recommendation.  Lower won't hurt except for the wear and tear from nuisance tripping, if any.

If you question your electrician's opinion, why do you use him?

Go with the 50 but the other aspect to consider is the gauge of wire. Often, with a 40, they will use #8 wire but a 50 or 60 amp will require #6 wire.

A smaller amp breaker will cause problems with overloading and tripping. You reqire an 80% leway for your breaker to function properly and it's why my understanding has always been that it's no problem to go larger than need be. A 40amp tub will run perfectly fine on a 60 amp breaker for example. I can't think of why it wouldn't Brewman?

Steve

« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 11:40:51 am by Steve »

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 01:31:32 pm »
wire it according to the warranty specifications....otherwise you could void the warranty.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:24:24 pm »

Go with the 50 but the other aspect to consider is the gauge of wire. Often, with a 40, they will use #8 wire but a 50 or 60 amp will require #6 wire.

A smaller amp breaker will cause problems with overloading and tripping. You reqire an 80% leway for your breaker to function properly and it's why my understanding has always been that it's no problem to go larger than need be. A 40amp tub will run perfectly fine on a 60 amp breaker for example. I can't think of why it wouldn't Brewman?

Steve

Sure, the 40 amp tub in your example would run fine on a 60 amp breaker.  But you'd have to have #6 wire on the circuit.  In most cases, I'd expect a tub rated at 40 amps to have #8 wire, which can only have a 40 amp maximum breaker.
The breaker size is dictated by the wire gauge used.  
If this 40 amp spa was wired with #6, you could put up to a 60 amp breaker on it.  I'm not really sure if there is a risk to the spa or not- I'd be more inclined to put the size breaker on that the spa maker recommends.  
Brewman

rutten

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 08:04:28 pm »
Made it simple!  Just bought a 50 Amp breaker and wired it in.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:07:42 pm »
Not to be a jerk but if you don't know if the 40 will work when a 50 is called for by the manufacturer, maybe you shouldn't be doing the work?

Not to be a jerk, but if you don't understand the validity of his question  (and it is a valid question)....................... ::)
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:07:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42