What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: used HS Prodigy w/ pics  (Read 3538 times)

daaw

used HS Prodigy w/ pics
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:37:36 am »
I have been lurking around here for nearly a year and have only posted once or twice.  Alot of great info and thanks for the POTDs!  ;)

So that I can one day have all those beautiful women that I see on the POTD at my house (yes I will post the pics), I am almost ready to make my purchase.  Wonder what the wife will think?

I found a used Prodigy online which was one of the tubs I was considering.  The few pictures of it seem to make me think it might have been well maintained.  It is suppose to be approx. 5 yrs old.  

Anyone care to give me some advise on what I should look for and what questions I should ask?  How about the differences in this tub and the current Prodigys?  

I live several hours away so I don't want to make the trip only to be disappointed.  My guess is I would rent a truck and transport it home.

Am I making a huge mistake by buying used?  Price is a major consideration, but I don't want a major headache. Is $3,000.00 reasonable?

The hot tub is set up and running, or so I am told.  Is there a way to test the functions once I see the tub? Any secrets regarding how tell if the pumps, heater is good in a short period of time?  Will there be any service issues with my local HotSprings dealer?  

Thanks in advance to any comments.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 11:38:53 am by daaw »

Hot Tub Forum

used HS Prodigy w/ pics
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:37:36 am »

Brookenstein

Re: used HS Prodigy w/ pics
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 12:37:44 pm »
When I was looking at used tubs I actually asked if I could get in and wet test.  It was the only way to make sure the jets all worked, they weren't falling off, etc.  I then asked what the owners chemical routine was.  This gave me an idea for how they cared for the tub.  Some people only changed the water every year and tested the water chemistry at the water change.  I figured this wasn't someone I really wanted to buy a tub from as who knows how hard the equipment had been warn/used/etc.  I would also ask if it is the original cover.  If it is, you will probably need a new one.  Look at the panels, make sure they don't look warped at all.  I saw a year old Jacuzzi that was all warped.  

As for price, is 3k the asking price?  This is just MY OPINION  (dealers usually disagree with me, lol) I would offer $2000 or $2500 depending on condition.  If it was at a dealer I would pay the $3k because they look them over give you a new cover, filters, and deliver... but you may very well need to do all that on your own.  5 years is kinda pushing it on age (again just my opinion when I was looking used for the 3k price).  Obvisouly this also depends on your area and what things go for there.

daaw

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:20:54 pm »
3k is the asking price...what is the lifespan of a hot tub?

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:23:13 pm »
My parents had a tub last 20 years before they replaced it.

I think most people replace after 10-15.

daaw

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 07:34:06 pm »
The owners say they have it running on 115v.  I imagine this will casue the water to heat slower, but will it prevent the water from obtaining max. temp?

Brookenstein

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 08:04:26 pm »
Usually the drawback is that you can't have the jets on and the heater on at the same time... so if you are in the tub a long time with the jets on, your temp may cool slightly.  I don't know 100% that this is true with the Prodigy, but that is the general rule with the 115.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 09:07:12 am »
The owners say they have it running on 115v.  I imagine this will casue the water to heat slower, but will it prevent the water from obtaining max. temp?

It will not prevent spa from reaching maximum temp.  The Prodigy is engineered to work on 110.  My Jetsetter is on 110.  No problems. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

daaw

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 05:32:37 pm »
thanks for the advice.  Can anyone give me any hints on moving this thing?  If I purchase it I will need to move it approx 50 ft to a trailer.  Am I (with a few others) going to be able to move it with, say an aplliance dolly or is there something I can rent/buy to make it easier?

Mez

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 06:47:32 pm »
thanks for the advice.  Can anyone give me any hints on moving this thing?  If I purchase it I will need to move it approx 50 ft to a trailer.  Am I (with a few others) going to be able to move it with, say an aplliance dolly or is there something I can rent/buy to make it easier?
You can rent a furniture dolly or even one used ti move a piano...one with large rubber "turf" style wheels is the best. Another option is to get some PVC tubing, 10 ft lengths, 3-4 of them and roll it on those moving the one that pops out the back into the front...kind of the roman method.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 06:47:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42