What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: another question from a newbie  (Read 2075 times)

exit109gal

another question from a newbie
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:00:43 am »
don't understand the horsepower stuff
one spa (a viking) has total horspower listed as 5 it uses 220

another (hot spot) has two listed 1.5 and 2.6 and it uses 110

i'm confused
thanks
pat

Hot Tub Forum

another question from a newbie
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:00:43 am »

cburk0677

Re: another question from a newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:33:18 am »
Sounds like the first spa only has one large pump to run all the jets. The hotsprings tub has two different jet pumps which allows you to have the option to run half the jets off one pump and the other jets off of the 2nd pump. I have the vanguard tub and it has 2 jet pumps. I like being able to pick and choose which jets I want on. I also think that having 2 pumps is probably more efficient and provides the jets with more power than a single large pump would be able to do.

Honestly you should wettest before you buy. I wouldn't buy into the higher HP means better spa. Sure you want enough power to get a massage but you also don't want to be beaten to death either.
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:19 am »
It looks like you almost got caught by the old horsepower Marketing trick but fortunately something told you that there must be something more to this and there is.

Look at/ask more about that 5 HP pump and you'll almost surely find that it's really a 5 Bhp pump. BHP stands for Brake Horsepower or starting HP (that initial surge when you start the pump, it lasts about a second). It's really bogus if they only show the BHP, you really only care about the continuous HP. The other two pumps are probably rated at their true running HP, or continuous HP. Most of the major spa makers show continuous HP (or sometimes they show both so you can compare to the ones who only show BHP).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:41:56 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:41 am »
Hi Pat,

Don't confuse/mix the HP and the 110/220. (voltage)

For the most part, the pumps are typically the same, regardless if the tub is 110 or 220.   The thing to be aware of between 110 and 220 tubs is that a 220 will be able to run the pumps and run the heater at the same time.   With a 110v tub, it's run the pumps or run the heater.

For what it's worth, choose your tub on the wet test rather than the HP and pumps. (Some manufactuers list "peak" HP, while others list it as "Brake"), The amount of jets, the type of jets and the plumopging can all make a difference in how the tub performs.

07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 11:44:41 am »
Ignore the HP ratings.  Gauge the spa by the way it feels, not by the HP numbers on the pumps.  Those ratings aren't used consistently among the spa makers, anyway.
Brewman

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 11:46:22 am »
You are being intentionally confused.

There are 2 ways of listing horsepower, brake and continuous.

The Hot Spot has one jet pump.  The higher number is the brake power, which is the initial power when jets are turned on.  The lower number is the continuous, which is the hp when jets are on.  The reason both are shown is much of the industry only shows the brake power, which deceives the customer.  Watkins, who makes the Hot Spot has chosen to show both.  The tub you are looking at can run on 110 or 220.

I don't know about the Viking.

The feel of the jets is what is most important.  HP is next to meaningless.  It needs to be considered along with engineering, plumbing, number of jets, size of jets and orifaces, energy consumption...

Emjoy your shopping. ::)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 11:46:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42