What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump issue (from a newbie)  (Read 3673 times)

WideDomain

Pump issue (from a newbie)
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:46:14 pm »
I just replaced the spa controls on a used tub and reconnected everything. When I turned on the power, the pump cycles on/off, not a continuous run it just pulses. I have checked for an air lock and loosened the fittings until water drained. If I select the 2nd speed the pump stays on a continuous run but the circulation at the jets seems very low.

I have removed the filter to ensure that I don't have a blockage there. I'm stumped and don't know where to go next. Help?

David

Hot Tub Forum

Pump issue (from a newbie)
« on: April 19, 2007, 01:46:14 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pump issue (from a newbie)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 02:56:54 pm »
I just replaced the spa controls on a used tub and reconnected everything. When I turned on the power, the pump cycles on/off, not a continuous run it just pulses. I have checked for an air lock and loosened the fittings until water drained. If I select the 2nd speed the pump stays on a continuous run but the circulation at the jets seems very low.

I have removed the filter to ensure that I don't have a blockage there. I'm stumped and don't know where to go next. Help?

David

Its possible if you have them that a slice valve is stuck half open and the handle is broken in side where it connect to the inside psc of the valve, common in older spas.

Other than that not sure   Does the motor/pump pulse or just the water flowing thru it?  The pump should run on low speed  while heating which sounds like you are aware of just fishing I guess. :-/

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 06:04:08 pm »
When I turned on the power, the pump cycles on/off, not a continuous run it just pulses.

David

David,

It sound like your new control panel is sending only 120 volts to a 240 volt motor, that would cause the pump to pulse when its under load.  
Bullfrog 451

WideDomain

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:24:16 am »
In_Canada_eh, I think you are right. I get the proper voltage at the pump wire plug on the side of the control box but I didn't re-wire the pump and used the existing cable to make the connection as the cable was for a 240 pump. I didn't check if the previous owner had the pump wired backwards. I'll look at the pump connections and at least clean the terminal connections and see if that works.

I really appreciate the advice I have read in previous postings and with the help on my issues! Thanks to all who help!

David

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:17:44 pm »
David,

Glad to have helped
Bullfrog 451

WideDomain

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:55:18 am »
Well I replaced the cable to the pump with the one provided with the new controller, cleaned the connections, and re-installed everything. Primed the pump and I get the same pulsing of the motor on speed 1. Speed 2 runs continuously but with the circulation of speed 1.

I have checked the controller and I am getting 120v on the red and black connections depending on the pump speed selected. I even switched the red and black leads on the pump to see if there was any difference. There was... I then got a smooth speed 1 and pulses on speed 2.

How can I interpret my findings? Is it possible that I have a 2 speed 120v pump and not a 240v 2 speed? Could I have a bad capacitor on the first speed? Any help to get me moving in the right direction is appreciated!

David

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:55:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42