What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: year to year changes in hot tubs  (Read 5287 times)

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
year to year changes in hot tubs
« on: March 29, 2007, 07:53:13 pm »
I'm curious how much change there is from one model year to the next for the industry.  Is it like cars where they are basically the same for 2-3 years then maybe a major change?  Are changes more likely cosmetic or internal with pumps, etc.  What have been the some of the most significant changes for the better the last few years?

Hot Tub Forum

year to year changes in hot tubs
« on: March 29, 2007, 07:53:13 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: year to year changes in hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 08:05:51 pm »
I'm curious how much change there is from one model year to the next for the industry.  Is it like cars where they are basically the same for 2-3 years then maybe a major change?  Are changes more likely cosmetic or internal with pumps, etc.  What have been the some of the most significant changes for the better the last few years?

I think the biggest change is probably filtration differnt types of filter media and ways to circulate water, high flow pumps things like that, not talking about main pumps but circ pumps.

I think a lot of these companys have also started throwing way to many bells and whistle type stuff at spa's granted it looks nice but all it really does is raise the price of the spa.
  I am not sure whats next probably more stuff like HS is doing with these automated built in chem systems that have been around for awhile but I think companys are getting better at it and making it easier for the consumer to maintain there spa.  I have yet to see anything that is fool proof yet though.

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:48:22 am »
Agree that making water chemistry easier is probably a big target for the manufacturers.  I need all the help I can get.  Would be interesting to know what the R&D geeks are thinking about implementing in the tubs to come.  The change from the 06 Epic to the 07 is "a slight modification to the base and the cabinet length".  Maybe the change from the 07 to 08 will be another "zone".  I'd hate to buy a tub now not knowing a "breakthrough" is a year away.  But then, one would never buy anything.  Guess it's all in the timing.  

Warpdrv

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 11:31:03 am »
It would be really cool if they would just invent one of those Devices that they have in Finding Nemo that scans the tank with a freakin lazer beam and cleans it all for you....  :)

:o

Warp

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:14:24 am »
Reason for the original post:

Bought wife's parents house in FLA..parents still live there.

Wife goes down every winter.

Plan to retire move to FL end of 08.

If bought spa now (would have to be a really great deal), she could use in winter… but......

She'd be there only in winter and parents would have to maintain (eeehhhh)

Warranty would be elapsing while not using.

So logically it makes sense to wait plus there may be improvements between now and then.  

Again wondered how much improvement/changes one could expect from one year to the next

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:48:43 am »
Probably not a lot of major changes.  As said earlier, you might see changes in features, but nothing really to do with the function of the spa.

For instance, Jacuzzi added LED lights to their cupholders on some spas.  That's a pretty cool feature they didn't have last year.

Last year, Hot Spring added Stainless Steel fittings to their jets.  Again, nice, but nothing to the function of a spa.  Now, I just saw on the HSS website an iPod docking thingy.

So, you will see some stuff from year to year.  If you think the types of things mentioned would make you regret having bought a spa now, then wait.  If those aren't big deals, then go ahead and do it.

The mfgs keep what they are working on very close to the vest, so it is hard to know what might be coming out.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:10:43 am »
Thanks.  Figured the vast majority of changes are little ones.  I presume the tri-zone was a major change for Marquis.  Not sure when that came out.  Were they changes to an existing model or did they come out with a new one.  Maybe they'll come out with quad zone.   Guess there's only so much one can do with a box of water.

loosenupspas

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:10:57 am »
Spa industry changes things very slowly.  From year to year, I have found design changes to be minimal.  Changes take place gradually and over the course of the year, at least that is my experience.  Year over year prices tend to rise, so there is a reason to consider last years model, as it will generally be about the same design wise as the current model but cost slightly less.  The spa and hot tub business isn't quite like the automobile industry where significant changes take place each year.  But in a hot tub, sometimes it is the small changes that make a big difference, controls, pumps, jets, etc, all add to the warm and cosy gestalt of your hot tub, however individually each change is kind of minor and hard to grasp.  Good luck and welcome to the fine state of Florida

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:21:15 pm »
These are some areas that I personally hope the industry will work on for future tub designs......my personal "wish list".

#1.
I think they should make changes in the way tubs drain for water changes where it is easier and much more automated....even if it is just offered as an option to folks that want to pay for it.

I am going to eventually do this to my tub with a customization.
(and yes, yes I know it will affect my warranty)

#2.
Another area is the control display units should be more user friendly and easy to read in bright sunlight.

Also control units that swivel....I think some brands already offer this....where you can see it right side up whether you are standing outside the tub or you can swivel it where you can read it from inside the tub.

#3.
Better built in drink holders...deep "non-tip over" drink holders that have drainage features.

#4.
Thinner lighter hot tub covers made from high tech materials that have the same ability to retain heat as the traditional cover...I personally think hot tub cover lifters are ugly and this would help make them obsolete!  

#5.
Pop-up towl racks. Offer an optional telescoping towel rack that pops up from within the corner part of a tub shell. When not being used it slides back down into shell/frame area so cover will close.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 12:27:59 pm »
These are some areas that I personally hope the industry will work on for future tub designs......my personal "wish list".

#1.
I think they should make changes in the way tubs drain for water changes where it is easier and much more automated....even if it is just offered as an option to folks that want to pay for it.

I am going to eventually do this to my tub with a customization.
(and yes, yes I know it will affect my warranty)

#2.
Another area is the control display units should be more user friendly and easy to read in bright sunlight.

Also control units that swivel....I think some brands already offer this....where you can see it right side up whether you are standing outside the tub or you can swivel it where you can read it from inside the tub.

#3.
Better built in drink holders...deep "non-tip over" drink holders that have drainage features.

#4.
Thinner lighter hot tub covers made from high tech materials that have the same ability to retain heat as the traditional cover...I personally think hot tub cover lifters are ugly and this would help make them obsolete!  

#5.
Pop-up towl racks. Offer an optional telescoping towel rack that pops up from within the corner part of a tub shell. When not being used it slides back down into shell/frame area so cover will close.

There is one brand of tub that uses the therapy pumps to assist in draining. I think it's a gret idea and would like to see it employeed on other tubs.

For me:

I think there could be improvements made in cover snaps.  four corners, cheap plastic snaps.  The snaps break, plust  think there could be a better way of holding down the cover tighter with less gaps.

Varaiable speed pumps: Not 2 speed or such, but is it possible to have a rheostat or pot on a pump to dial up and down the speed? (like a dimmer on a light)?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:57:17 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

loosenupspas

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 01:23:58 pm »
drew....build it and they will come..........

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:46:24 pm »
drew....build it and they will come..........
Hmmm. I could become a leading ejuneer of spas on da internets. I'd be a genius . Call me Drew the drew!  :)

could any folks with greater knoweldge give reasons why a variable controller on a pump wouldn't be a good idea?
07 Caldera Geneva

Vanguard

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 02:02:47 pm »

Varaiable speed pumps: Not 2 speed or such, but is it possible to have a rheostat or pot on a pump to dial up and down the speed? (like a dimmer on a light)?

Pentair is making a variable speed pump called the Intelliflo, so your idea could be done.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 02:07:48 pm »
[
could any folks with greater knoweldge give reasons why a variable controller on a pump wouldn't be a good idea? [/quote]

Drew,
A ac variable speed controller on the motor driving the pump is possible. Problems would include but not limited to the following. Money, durability, size, being able to tune pump to all the different speeds, wiring, electrical interference with other components on tub just to name a few. Also not really sure if this option would  bring any benefit to user.

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 04:13:38 pm »
I sent an email to marquis and got the following reply:

"I don’t foresee any major changes in the product line for 08, we usually change models in late October or early November so the products are already moving off the drawing board and into the development stage. We will have a new cabinet color, and probably an additional cabinet design to go with it. There will probably be at least one or two new models in the lower price point range. Our upper end units are being well received so we don’t feel the need to make changes just for the sake of changing. We will add a second jet pump to the Quest, the dealers have been requesting that for the past year. Possibly a built in stereo system as a add on option in the next few months. There may be a couple of new colors, that’s just about it."

That's a lot more than I expected.  If we could just get an automated water analysis sytem installed that releases chemicals "as needed" we'd be all set.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 04:13:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42