What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Geneva Valve discoloration  (Read 4382 times)

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
Caldera Geneva Valve discoloration
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:18:06 pm »
Greetings from Sweden,

that is just beginning to sense SPRING.

My Caldera Geneva works flawlessly and is a absolute dream.
However, there some ugly discolorations of the big diverter valves, They've gone from fresh grey to merky brown.

Anyone heard or experienced the same thing?
What could have caused it? It isn´t as if I´ve drenched it with chlorine. ::)

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Geneva Valve discoloration
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:18:06 pm »

MarKee

Re: Caldera Geneva Valve discoloration
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 05:21:51 pm »
A lot of older tubs did this and there is now a product called geloy that many plastics manuf. are adding to the plastic mixtures to prevent this.  It is caused by chemicals and ozone i believe.  Maybe Caldera has made some improvements since you bought it

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 05:24:45 pm »
A lot of older tubs did this and there is now a product called geloy that many plastics manuf. are adding to the plastic mixtures to prevent this.  It is caused by chemicals and ozone i believe.  Maybe Caldera has made some improvements since you bought it

I see an air control between those diverters that looks fine. Maybe a bad run of plastic? I imagine your dealer will help you, very easy swap out.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:25:13 pm »
Thanks. But believe it or not, this is a 2006 model.  :o

WMCrep

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:44:43 am »
Good Morning - We do hear of this discoloration occasionally.  Contact your authorized Caldera dealer and they will provide new levers at no charge to you as this service is warrantable.  If you have difficulties in getting the new levers, please use the toll-free number in the back of your owner's manual to contact us at the manufacturing plant.  pww

Micah

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:53:13 am »
Since this is a reoccuring problem not just with caldera but with a few other manufactures I would be curious as to if you have an ozone if so what size and if it came from caldera.  Also what is your chemical routine.  This looks like chemical discoloration to me.  Chemical or ozone.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:11:55 pm »
Good Morning - We do hear of this discoloration occasionally.  Contact your authorized Caldera dealer and they will provide new levers at no charge to you as this service is warrantable.  If you have difficulties in getting the new levers, please use the toll-free number in the back of your owner's manual to contact us at the manufacturing plant.  pww

He is in Sweden.  How do International folks contact the factory?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 12:14:23 pm »
Since this is a reoccuring problem not just with caldera but with a few other manufactures I would be curious as to if you have an ozone if so what size and if it came from caldera.  Also what is your chemical routine.  This looks like chemical discoloration to me.  Chemical or ozone.

Certainly the ozone/chems brought out the issue but seeing the air valve in between and the jet facings all looking fine tells me the plastic on those diverters did not hold up as well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Micah

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 09:29:16 pm »

Certainly the ozone/chems brought out the issue but seeing the air valve in between and the jet facings all looking fine tells me the plastic on those diverters did not hold up as well.

As i'm sure you are aware, the diverter valve is produced from one vender while the air valve is made by another.  The diverter valve is made of a stiffer stronger plastic to prevent it from breaking when the valve  becomes harder to turn.  It is very common that one type of plastic will change colors while another looks perfect.  I would really like to know what chemicals are being used in the tub.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 08:54:46 am »

Yep, will do. I'll give him a call today. Thanks!

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 09:02:22 am »

As i'm sure you are aware, the diverter valve is produced from one vender while the air valve is made by another.  The diverter valve is made of a stiffer stronger plastic to prevent it from breaking when the valve  becomes harder to turn.  It is very common that one type of plastic will change colors while another looks perfect.  I would really like to know what chemicals are being used in the tub.

I don't think you would know the brand, but it is chlorine for spas from one of the largest manufacturers around here.
That's about it. Occasionally I use a product called No Scale to prevent iron stains.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 09:30:06 am »
As a soon to be Geneva owner, I hope they fix the problem.   Everytine I look at the first picture:

I think of this:

:P
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:31:08 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:46:30 am »
We have sold Caldera.  Never seen this problem.  Chas?  Bueller?  Anyone?

Im-A-Duck

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 05:34:00 am »
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY DIVERTER VALVE ON MY CALDERA MARTINIQUE. THIS STARTED WITHIN A MONTH OR TWO AFTER I BOUGHT MY TUB. I USE CHLORINE FOR MY SANITIZER AND I DO HAVE OZONE. I DIDN'T THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT AS LONG AS THE PLASTIC IS NOT GETTING BRITTLE.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:04:51 am »
Have either of you gotten new diverter valve handles?  Shouldn't be a big deal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:04:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42