What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PUMP SAFETY SWITCH?  (Read 1946 times)

Slappy

PUMP SAFETY SWITCH?
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:26:34 pm »
Now, you have to understand that I have an "old" tub. I sprung a leak a couple days ago and luckily caught it just before the water got down below the filter intake ... barely. My question is ... on the newer tubs, is there a safety switch which turns the filter pumps off if the water is low, or does it just keep on running? Would the pump motor get hurt if this happened or just keep on running forever?

- Slappy

Hot Tub Forum

PUMP SAFETY SWITCH?
« on: February 22, 2007, 08:26:34 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: PUMP SAFETY SWITCH?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:48 pm »
No, they can't tell the water is low besides it over heating due to low flow, etc. Doesn't hurt the motor, it's fan cooled. the seal in the pump can be affected, but it's replaceable.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:13:37 pm »
The big problem is having the heater run dry. Most tubs have some sort of system to keep the heater from powering up unless there is water flowing through. For example, HotSpring has a pressure switch in the heater itself. No flow? No heat.

Other have pressure switches in the plumbing, some have flow switch instead of pressure switch, still others have temp sensors alone.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Slappy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:32 am »
The only safety switch that I know of in my system is an overheat switch. If the water temp gets over 110, an overlimit switch will trip the tub off. This sensor is in the heater tube. I guess it makes sense that if there is no water and the heater gets too hot, it will shut off too. thanks for your input on this subject.

- Slappy

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42