What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Handi Pads  (Read 8272 times)

D.P. Roberts

Handi Pads
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »
I've seen several references to Handi Pads (the premade plastic spa pads you can get for about $300 from Costco and Wal-Mart). Has anyone here actually tried one? Do they hold up over time? Do they look okay? Final question: When it comes to stewed prunes, are three enough? Are four too many?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

Handi Pads
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Handi Pads
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:01:39 pm »
Yes, that is what my Envoy has been on for the past 16 mo.  My tub is perfectly level... haven't had any settling problems.  I've been told my tub is  a little louder because of it, but nothing obnoxious.  The amount of prep work to level the site was a bit more than expected.  i think it looks ok, but not great.  i've tried to put plants around it to minimize its visibility.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:31:26 pm »
I put my spa on those pads as well.  I installed my spa in March of last year and had trouble getting anybody tp pour concrete.  They have seemed to hold up well.  I have put pavers around the tub and it looks ok.  Not perfect as if the entire pad was made of pavers, but good enough.  Only a couple of inches show. So far, I would use them again.

I can't give you long term results, but a guy in Cleveland has had his spa on them for 3 years with no issues.  That sounded good to me.  I also liked the fact that they would be easy to move. We weren't absolutely sure that that was where the spa was going to end up.

If I could just chew through these restraints...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 07:39:58 am »
I know of 2 spas that have been on spa pads for 4 years or so, and both are still okay.  These are the EZ Pads.  That's 4 Minnesota freeze thaw cycles, and spas are still level, and pads are physically in good condition.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:41:01 am by Brewman »
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 08:44:42 am »
I notice Sundance shows them in the accessory section of their web site.  If the manufacturer is promoting them, your probably safe.

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 08:58:44 am »
We've had our tub on them for ~6 months, they are in my opinion overpriced for what they are, probably cost $1 to make but I think $250 for a "tub's worth".  Still I think at our local dealer we got a better price than I could find on the web anywhere, support those local dealers.  

They are alot cheaper than other options though and if you, like us, are planning bigger things down the road which may include moving the tub they are a great option.  Another feature I think is good is that the seams between pads allow rain water and snow melt to drain, rather than just lay there saturating your tub bottom all the time.  They are hollow too which probably provides at least some insulation for the tub floor versus concrete or worse a deck.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:02 am »
re: They are alot cheaper than other options

At $250 are they really?

I think my concrete pad was like $400.

I guess some may qualify that as "alot cheaper".

I think foundations are not a place to skimp.

But hey....2EachHisOwn.

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 12:06:45 pm »
I guess I might clarify that I have my handi-pads sitting atop 8" of crushed limestone wrapped with a road-grade class 4 geotextile soil separation fabric.  Structurally my system most likely exceeds most people's concrete pad in strength, has superior drainage, is not subject to cracking or heaving, has superior insulative qualities, and can be removed and relocated.  Actually, my system structurally probably exceeds that of the roads many of you live on, overkill.....maybe.

I am happy I chose this setup for my application, if you like concrete go concrete, to each his own.  I just think the handi-pads have some advantages, especially if your tub setup or location when you get it may not be permanent.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 12:08:32 pm »
I have put in many concrete slabs over the years. Sometimes we end up doing them in-house. Usually costs us about $200-300 that way. Concrete prices go up and down. Don't like to do it that way, I usually work with a handyman or gardener, which is much cheaper than a contractor who specializes.

And I don't know why so many people consider a slab to be so permanent. Rent a jackhammer, get two strong backs and a picup truck and the slab goes away. Not the easiest work in the world, but certainly not rocket science - any laborer or handyman can do it.

I have a patio in my front yard - don't know why - but it's around fifteen feet square. I have gotten several bids to remove it. The bids range from $200 plus dump fees to $400 all said and done.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 04:21:30 pm »
I've had my Reward on Handi-Pads for almost 4 years with no problems.  Prior to the hot tub the space was occupied by a large swing set for 14 years which had 4 inches of mulch under it every year.   I cleared away the mulch,  put down 2-3  inches of construction sand (not play sand), leveled it with a long 2x4 and that was that.

The pad sticks out 6 inches on two sides, even with the tub on the steps side and out about 1 ft on the opposite side.    I wasn't thrilled about pavers around it as water, snow and ice can "pool"  on the pavers and makes a dry spot hard to find.   I built a "temporary" deck or platform around it on three sides using 2x4's as a base and using decking on top.  It just sits on the ground but it is heavy and doesn't move a bit  Along the 2 sides the deck is 18 inches wide  alllowing enough space to walk down and open the cover ( or shovel the snow off the cover) and on the steps side its 9 ft x 6 ft.   It took a Saturday and about $100 and it works great.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 06:28:58 pm »
I

The pad sticks out 6 inches on two sides, even with the tub on the steps side and out about 1 ft on the opposite side.    I wasn't thrilled about pavers around it as water, snow and ice can "pool"  on the pavers and makes a dry spot hard to find.  

I'm a tad confused - you put pavers on top of the pad, but the pavers pooled water, so you replaced them with temporary decking. Have I got that right?

I'm just wondering because if we do the pad, it looks like it might stick out around the tub (depending on the tub we get).  If we get a Marin it will stick out about 12-18" on most sides, but if we get the Tango we can use 6 pads instead of the usual 8 that come in a pack, and it will fit almost perfectly.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 06:32:50 pm »

I am happy I chose this setup for my application, if you like concrete go concrete, to each his own.  I just think the handi-pads have some advantages, especially if your tub setup or location when you get it may not be permanent.

Yeah, we're getting a used tub, and I'm not sure how long it will last, so I hate to have a base poured specifically for it. With pads, it will be easy to add/remove later if we end up needing another tub.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:00:20 am »
No,  I used 6 pads and it sticks out a little all around.  I put the tub right on the pad.  The  "deck" I put in around it is so with bare feet you will never track dirt or grass into it.  In the winter snow pushes off it and when it melts any standing water runs through the decking.  If you have a lot of rain there is never standing water like you can get in the grass or on pavers around the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 08:00:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42