What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: child-proofing  (Read 5861 times)

tubhunter

child-proofing
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:51:59 pm »
What measures do others employ to "child-proof" their tub?  Specifically, I'm looking for ideas on keeping the cover secure (locked) when not in use.  Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

child-proofing
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:51:59 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: child-proofing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:56:35 pm »
Depending on the age of the children, the locks should be good enough. A cover is a heavy item for a 2 or 3 YO to lift and if the cover is locked the clips are kind of tough to open. As far as older kids - lock the tub with the cover locks.

I personally only lock the tub when we go on vacation, all other times the tiedows just dangle. My kids were old enough for trusting them not to do the wrong thing. If your tub is flush to a surface then I would think you have a large danger of a child walking on the cover and getting hurt.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 01:58:35 pm »
Not sure if all covers come with them or not but my cover has locks on each one of the four buckles. I have no kids but always keep them locked to keep out perps and neighbor kids. The last thing I need is a lawsuit filed against me.

ASAP

• 2006 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 03:26:49 pm »
I bought a 2006 Sundance Optima that will be delivered in the spring. Do they usually come with locks for the cover ?

Is this something I should look into with the dealer?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 05:57:56 pm »
I bought a 2006 Sundance Optima that will be delivered in the spring. Do they usually come with locks for the cover ?

Is this something I should look into with the dealer?

The cover comes with locks.  They are not much for security, but at least its something.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 10:02:16 pm »

Look into something like this. They are made with plastic buckles, or metal locking hardware.

Don't have any idea where to get them..  ;) ;D

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 10:44:09 pm »
What measures do others employ to "child-proof" their tub?

I always used my eyes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 09:42:56 am »
Like someone said the standard plastic snap locks coupled with
gate locks should be enough, but if you need something a bit
more secure....you may look at this product.

http://www.steelcore.net/spa.html

Article About This Product:
http://www.send2press.com/newswire/2006-07-0728-001.shtml

Han Solo

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 07:33:58 pm »
I always keep my cover locked with the snap locks when it's not in use. My son just turned five and we have neighborhood kids that come and play with him while I'm at work. My wife and her friends always watch the kids but even professional kid watchers can make a fatal mistake.
 A few years ago one of our friends that owns a day care made just such a mistake. She kept the outside toys in a 32 gallon plastic garbage can with an attached lid. The night before it rained and somehow the wind blew off the lid and the plastic garbage can that held the toys filled partially up with water. The next morning one of the children made his way outside to the secured play area and tried to get into the toy garbage can. He ended up falling upside down into the can and didn't have enough arm strength to get out. With in a few moments they all went outside, but by then, the little boy had drowned. The day care was right down the street from a fire house and paramedics arrived with in minutes, but they could not revive the little toddler. My friend was devastated that she lost a child she loved and cared for and after getting sued, she quit the day care business that she had operated for over twenty-years and moved away with a broken heart.
 There is no way I'm ever going to let something like that happen in my backyard, so I always err on the side of safety. Sorry if this story upsets anyone, but these things do happen to people just like us. Keep the cover locked when you not using the tub and do everybody a big favor.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 07:36:11 pm by Han_Solo »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 09:34:21 pm »

I always used my eyes.

Best, cheapest, time tested, truest method around that has bee lost in the modern age.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 10:06:58 pm »

I always used my eyes.

I even got glasses now to see better ...

The story that Han Solo posted is a sad story and I guess if I had toddlers in the house I might think differently but in a residential setting every adult should keep eyes out for little ones. I also think that using common sense to protect the kids is important. My tub isn't sunken flush to the deck and I certainly wouldn't have it sunken to the deck if I had small ones.

I went to a party once and my youngest was about 1 1/2 years old. We were by an in ground pool and he wanted to go to his mom ... shortest distance is a straight line, he walked straight into the pool without a floatation device on (he wasn't swimming at this point). I was all of an arms length away and quickly grabbed him before any harm could happen. Didn't expect it but was glad I wasn't far from his side. Even at the ages of 11 and 16, I always have an eye or ear out for what's going on.

My cover definately gets locked when we go on vacation to stop someone from getting an idea of using it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
What measures do others employ to "child-proof" their tub?  Specifically, I'm looking for ideas on keeping the cover secure (locked) when not in use.  Thanks.

If that fails, I'd suggest getting a locking strap.
07 Caldera Geneva

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:03:13 am »

If that fails, I'd suggest getting a locking strap.
ROTFLMAO!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 04:03:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42