What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: They weren't kiddin'.  (Read 2681 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
They weren't kiddin'.
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:56:36 pm »
So my water did it's usual drop in pH and alk after four weeks at 7.5 and 100, it's now sittin' at 7.2 and 80. I'm not going to adjust as I normally do for awhile to see what happens. It's been like this for a week now and I'm amazed at how much longer my FC is holding. I guess they weren't kiddin' when they say that the lower the pH the greater % of chlorine is hypochlorous acid. I haven't added any dichlor since Saturday morning's 1.5 tsp dose with a starting ppm of zero and I still have 1+ ppm present! :o When my pH is at 7.5 that dose brought my water to a 3ppm, 20 minutes later, and then was gone within' 24 hrs. I haven't checked my FC yet after that dose with my new ph but I will be tonight. I think I will be keeping it at this level from now on, unless of course one of the experts advice my otherwise. Is this ok to keep it so close to the minimum amount of acceptability and will the same dose bring my FC higher with a lower pH or does it just last longer?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:10:42 pm by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

They weren't kiddin'.
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:56:36 pm »

anne

Re: They weren't kiddin'.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 04:54:18 pm »
Interesting. I cannot answer your questions, except by referring to the Taylor guide, but you make me ask related ones.....I tried to ask this before, and I cannot remember the answer. Does pH really have an effect on the longevity of your FC, or just on it's ability to sanitize? If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that because your pH is lower that a greater amount of your chlorine present is in the sanitizing, or hypochlorous acid form. Agreed. However, I dont know that you can conclude that the lower pH results in FC *lasting* longer, just that the stuff that is there can do a better job. Anyone?

And your question about keeping it at 7.2 is interesting. I would think, but I'm just surmising, that its not a big deal, as long as you dont have skin irritation from low pH. I doubt that 7.2 is acid enough to cause damage to your heater, etc, since some people have water out of the tap at 6.8 and their pipes are assumably not corroded. (?) According to the Taylor water wheel, if you maintain a pH of 7.2, and a TA of 80, with a temp of about 100-104, then you should have a Ca of 350-400. How important is that??? What does "balance" mean, anyway, aside from keeping Ca in solution, not precipitating?
Dance like nobody's watching

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:21:19 pm »
I keep my Cal level around 230 ish.  It helps me as far as keeping things balanced,and seems to be less work as far as adjusting the other 2 factors.  That's been my exp,and the water I use outta the tap in FL.

autoplay

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 05:23:31 pm »
On a side note,I just noticed WHY NOT's Avatar.  Are those your feet WHY NOT?  And if so,do you protect those beauties with steel toed boots?  grin
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:24:19 pm by autoplay »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:46:44 am »
On a side note,I just noticed WHY NOT's Avatar.  Are those your feet WHY NOT?  And if so,do you protect those beauties with steel toed boots?  grin

No, they're my ex-g/f's(who I still "keep in touch" with ;))
And yes I do wear steel toed boots at work. They've saved me more than once. :-[ :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:46:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42