What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: k-2005 vs. Hanna pHep4 meter  (Read 3122 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
k-2005 vs. Hanna pHep4 meter
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:50:07 am »
I read this thread from another forum and it seem's that maybe Taylor kits aren't as accurate for measuring pH as I thought. :-/  According to them it's alot more accurate using a Hanna meter. Does anyone know about these things and if they really are that much more accurate than the pH test method in my k-2005?
Here's the link to the thread-
http://www.hot-tub-spa-covers.com/cgi-bin/messageboard.pl/noframes/read/80549

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:52:20 am by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

k-2005 vs. Hanna pHep4 meter
« on: January 25, 2007, 05:50:07 am »

Reese

Re: k-2005 vs. Hanna pHep4 meter
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:31:41 am »
 :) That is Doc's board, published on his other cover web-site.

I wouldn't read too much into one user's experience.  You would need a lot more data to draw any conclusions regarding the accuracy of different methods.  I think the post, and response show the correct approach -- calibrate the results of your test method based on correlations with at least two other sources.

I have the impression that handheld electronic meters aren't  that accurate (+/- 0.5 pH), and they need regular calibration, so they really aren't much more convenient, either. (Unless you are color-blind like a recent thread.)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:54:07 pm »
:) That is Doc's board, published on his other cover web-site.

I wouldn't read too much into one user's experience.  You would need a lot more data to draw any conclusions regarding the accuracy of different methods.  I think the post, and response show the correct approach -- calibrate the results of your test method based on correlations with at least two other sources.

I have the impression that handheld electronic meters aren't  that accurate (+/- 0.5 pH), and they need regular calibration, so they really aren't much more convenient, either. (Unless you are color-blind like a recent thread.)
Thanks Reese...........I had no clue that was Doc's. :-[  Man, he's everywhere. Good for him. :D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:24:18 pm »
Chad,

I think there is a valid reason to use digital testers - color blindness.

But what Reese said is true, you would need to keep the test equipment calibrated; have a high level and low level reagent to do the calibration or else using digital testers is as good as using test strips ... is it accurate? ::)

Coming from a medical repair background, I have wondered over the years on how good any of the inexpensive digital testers really are. Lab grade equipment is very expensive ( I just bought a graduated cylinder to use at work and a 25 ml (1 oz = 30 ml) glass grade "A" one was $75) I toyed in the middle of last year on buying a TDS meter until I read how the meters interpet the readings ... highly inaccurate.

But with all of that said, I guess if good enough is good enough then any way to test the water chemistry is going to be OK.

BUT |    ;)
       |    ;D
       V     8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:24:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42