What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Balboa 'economy' mode. Worth it?  (Read 12325 times)

Davidny

Balboa 'economy' mode. Worth it?
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:38:08 pm »
Is it better to run a spa in 'economy' mode rather than 'standard' mode to save on electricity?

Hot Tub Forum

Balboa 'economy' mode. Worth it?
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:38:08 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Balboa 'economy' mode. Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:42:59 pm »
Is it better to run a spa in 'economy' mode rather than 'standard' mode to save on electricity?

I wouldn't think so in NY as economy modes are generally for warm climate enviroments where heat up times are minimized by higher ambient temperatures. :D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:47:35 pm by WHY_NOT »

Davidny

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:46:14 pm »
I was thinking maybe for the Summer months, but even then I'm not sure what the gain would be.

I've been turning it down to 99 overnight, so the pump wouldn't have to run as much, I put it up to 104 an hour or so before I want to use it.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 02:48:37 pm »
It's my understanding that economy mode shuts off the heater and circ pump. (a nice feature in hot climates). So if this is how you're economy mode works (what type of tub do you have?), like Whynot stated, I don't think it's a good idea. (on my Tiger river tub, they call it "summer mode").

07 Caldera Geneva

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 02:51:32 pm »
I was thinking maybe for the Summer months, but even then I'm not sure what the gain would be.

I've been turning it down to 99 overnight, so the pump wouldn't have to run as much, I put it up to 104 an hour or so before I want to use it.

There was a discussion a little while back about whether or not it takes more energy to maintain a tub at a certain temp or doing what you're doing by turning it down  when not in use and then cranking it back up when you soak.
I'll try to find it. :D

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345

Reese

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:26:13 pm »
Depends on what "economy mode" means.  On some tubs, economy results in the heater only operational during filter cycles.  If you use the tub at that same time every day, and can adjust the filter cycles to warm the tub up right before use, it could save a little -- the equivalent of turning the heat down in between uses.

Someone posted recently about a CalSpa design that actually reduced voltage to the heater in economy mode.  IMO, that would not save much electricity, because the heater would just run longer to achieve the same temp.

As far as turning it down between uses, you probably won't see much savings unless your use is sporadic enough that you go several days between dips.  Otherwise the water heats and cools so slowly that the total runtime for the heater is probably about the same. Nonetheless, if you have the leadtime to allow it to reheat, it is worth turning it down just in case you don't use it for a few days.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:31:54 pm by Reese »

loosenupspas

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:36:06 pm »
This setting works well in Florida.  What I am familiar with is a Thermo-lock type insulation which captures heat from the pump(s) and radiates it back in through the exposed pipes, economy works well in a hot tub of that type.  In a full foam spa....I don't know.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »
Economy for most current Balboa systems is it stops the pump from coming on the check temperature and the spa will only heat during a filter cycle. I keep mine like all year and I have not any issues with the temp being low when I went to get in.

Does it save you any money, I doubt it.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42