What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa install area  (Read 3678 times)

don.davis

Spa install area
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:26:40 am »
OK, I've taken the jump and have landed (so to speak) a 10-year old D1 Diplomat for $300.  It's being delivered tonight and I plan to keep it in the garage until I can prep the install site and get things ready, as well as check it out.

As far as the installation site, what are my options, exactly?  Beyond having a slab layed down, how and where exactly can I install it?  I'm re-doing the deck this spring so cannot incorporate it directly there yet.  My general plan is to build a lower-level deck where the spa will go, plant the spa there, then re-model the existing deck with access to the newer, lower level.  So, that is one option in that it would sit on a low wooden deck built to support it, but are there other options?  Can it sit on large pavers set in sand for example?  What factors besides drainage must I consider?

As before (for the purchase advise), thanks to those who've been there already!

Don Davis
Woodbridge, VA

Hot Tub Forum

Spa install area
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:26:40 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Spa install area
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 11:32:04 am »
Sure, you can put it on pavers and sand. Ther are also plastic pads that are now being sold that provide an adequate  base for the tub. I have also read about crused gravel  too.
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas

don.davis

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:45:14 am »
Zep and Drewstar, thanks, that's excellent news.  It was delivered last night and three of us muscled it off a motorcycle trailer in an hour with PVC pipes as rollers.  It's now sitting in my driveway until I can tip it (safely) to it's normal position and roll it into the garage for inspection.

I appreciate your responses and links!

Don

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 09:04:34 am »
A spa pad would probably be the easiest install,

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=153132

and at first was going to qualify that with a "however it costs $250..."  But, consider the cost of pavers and sand AND your labor,  it may not be as costly.  You may also be able to re-sell the pad when you are done.  Sand and pavers? maybe not so much.

Since where you are putting it is going to be only temporary, I'd also consider the electcrical run too.  It can get pricey to start running 220 lines all over the place.  I would map out where the final install would be, and the electrical and plan from there.  :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:09:38 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

don.davis

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 09:19:51 am »
Oh, also, any good advice on how to safely tip this thing to a level position from it's side, without trying to find 4 other people?  Any tricks?

don.davis

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 09:27:12 am »
Drewstar, I agree pads are convenient.  As you may have surmised, since I hope to get into the world of Spas for $300, I'm looking for a cheap install as well.   8-)

My general plan is to get it into the garage, check out what I can, replace what I need to, call a tech if I must, then move it to the backyard.

It's about a 50' run from the panel to the install area.  Do you recommend the $139 spa-configured aux panel from Spa Depot?  It seems like a sensible deal.

I want to dig out a 9'x9' square, level it, frame it with 2x6s, fill with crushed gravel from a pathway that I'm removing, top with 24" pavers, and place the tub on that surface.  That should provide sufficient drainage both from the sides and below, and only cost about $50.  (Yeah, my labor is cheap when it comes to this stuff!)

Then build what will be the lower deck level and patio around the spa, which if all goes according to plan will give it a sunken look/feel and provide a seating and relaxation area around it.

Don

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 09:43:48 am »
Don, I can't recomend the pads as I've only heard about them 2nd hand and never used or bought them.  (I'm not "not" recomending them,  either). I do know several manufactuers say that pads are perfectly acceptable.

It was a pain for me to dig and set my pavers, and for me, if I was doing a temporay install, I'd do the pads, it would be "Worth" it for me. But if I was handy (sounds like you are) and could throw togethor a temporry paver area quickly, easly and withouth tears swearing and shocking the nieghbors all for $50, I'd  do that.  You might be able to reuse the pavers in another project too.

Keep in mind that even with the handi pad products, the ground needs to be level. If you have to dig out and level an area anyhow, and are doing a paver project in the spring, it might just as well be easier to lay pavers than placing $200 plastic pads down.  (yea, I know,  I'm no help.... ;) )

I guess  it comes down to what's your priorities? Ease, or money and you don't have to pour cement for your spa.

I'd be less hesistent to dig up and pave a beautiful section of lawn to lay sand and pavers/gravel for a temp area than I would for an area that will eventually be covered by a deck...

If you're running 50' of electrical line,  that should give you plenty of room to place the spa somplace and then be able to move it later to it's final  spot without any elctircal changes, no?  SO give all that, I'd look to see where you decide to put the tub, and then ask do I want to dig and lay pavers/gravel for $50, or toss plastic pads down for $150?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 09:51:57 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

don.davis

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:01:04 am »
Drewstar, I see what you were getting at now.  No, when I move it from the garage to the back yard, that will be it's permanent home.  I won't move it until I know for sure where it's going.  Hell, for all I know, I could be a couple of months away from even getting it to work.

I'm just happy to know they don't HAVE to go on a concrete pad...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 10:06:39 am »
Oh... I thought you were going to install it in one place for several months and use it, and then when the decks were completed, move it to it's final place. Sorry. :)
07 Caldera Geneva

don.davis

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:10:28 am »
Nah, I'll be lucky if I can scrape the manpower together to move it once, let alone twice!  :-)

have a good one and thanks for your time!

Don

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:10:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42