What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OOps, did MPS instead of Chlorine for startup  (Read 6638 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Re: OOps, did MPS instead of Chlorine for startup
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 07:18:49 pm »

Off topic by a mile, but I found it very ironic that TL is a senior level and Vermonter a newbie, when Vermonter is a person who is one of the most knowlegeable in the industry in my opinion when it comes to the chemistry stuff.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 07:18:49 pm »

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:18:13 pm »
I will let it cycle thru for awhile and then switch it to the other jets and let it go again.   I have to say I'm not sure if I can let it run for 2 hours on each cycle but I will be as patient as I can.  

nlittle,

Sorry for the late response - just got back from picking my son up from his high school Outing Club's ski/snowboard session.

I'm not certain your HS is the same as mine with respect to pump operation, but assuming you can run both pump trains at the same time, then that is what you should do.  There is no benefit to running one and then the other.

I should clarify that the two hour "run time" is, from my experience, only needed for the initial startup or if you ever run into some type of microbial contamination issue.  While it is a topic for a future post, the high velocity (feet per minute flushing within the plumbing) resulting from operating the main pumps is a key to either act as a proactive approach for avoiding formation of a biofilm or to take care of a biofilm if it exists.  In your case, I'm assuming there may be some biofilm from the manufacturer's testing of the tub (and the residual water), so two hours of 10 - 20 ppm FC should do a pretty decent job at taking care of it (although if you ever have a severe biofilm, a more agressive approach is needed).

Normally, after you use the tub, dose it to a Free Chlorine (FC) level of 2 - 3 ppm and then operate both pump trains for about 10 minutes.  Shut them off and, in the case of HS, you're done with filtration until you use the tub again.

Please remember that whenever you are circulating chlorine it is important to have all valves and jets (and wetted surfaces) "on" so that the chlorinated water can make contact with all those surfaces.

So...to sum up, operate both pumps at the same time and you should be fine.

Vermonter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:19:40 pm by Vermonter »

nlittle

• Hot Springs Prodigy 2006
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 07:29:24 am »
Oh, so probably I put the smart jet system halfway instead of 3 or 9 oclock?
I will try that.  
The word biofilm is really kinda grossin me out and the fact that I would be able to see it is even worse...
What does it look like?
At this point my water is super clear and I have had both pumps running on full blast quite a few times for 10 to 15 minutes each time....I feel pretty comfortable.
I am going to check chem right now and maybe take my first soak!!
Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 09:52:30 am »
Off topic by a mile, but I found it very ironic that TL is a senior level and Vermonter a newbie, when Vermonter is a person who is one of the most knowlegeable in the industry in my opinion when it comes to the chemistry stuff.
yeah, ironic, isn't it?  ::) He's got better things to do with his time than I do....I did most of my posting asking questions in preparation of buying a spa, then in balancing the water, etc. And I'm laid off for the winter again, so be prepared for more posts from me......
You'll notice I never said that I know more than Vermonter, or anything like that....because it would be a LIE....I've just posted more.  :P ;)
RIP C-Rod

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 09:54:30 am »
Oh, so probably I put the smart jet system halfway instead of 3 or 9 oclock?
yep, that's how I get every jet open at the same time on my Grandee.
RIP C-Rod

anne

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 03:25:59 pm »
Arctic has what I assume to be similar to the "clean" cycle of the HS tubs. It runs the main pump/filter for 45 minutes. I have opted to ignore that setting, and instead I turn all three diverters to midway, and turn all three pumps on. They automatically go off after 20 minutes, and I'd rather have all of my water moving around and filtering for 20 minutes than to have just the main pump on for 45 minutes with none of my new chlorine dose getting into all the pipes. I find it odd that the manufacturers bother to have established "clean settings" that we as owners then have to modify to do a good job as sanitation. :P
Dance like nobody's watching

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 12:44:39 am »
Arctic has what I assume to be similar to the "clean" cycle of the HS tubs. It runs the main pump/filter for 45 minutes. I have opted to ignore that setting, and instead I turn all three diverters to midway, and turn all three pumps on. They automatically go off after 20 minutes, and I'd rather have all of my water moving around and filtering for 20 minutes than to have just the main pump on for 45 minutes with none of my new chlorine dose getting into all the pipes. I find it odd that the manufacturers bother to have established "clean settings" that we as owners then have to modify to do a good job as sanitation. :P

So, Anne, your pumps always automatically turn off after 20 minutes unless you are using a cycle that allows one to run for 45 minutes?  Do I understand correctly?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

anne

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 02:01:09 am »

So, Anne, your pumps always automatically turn off after 20 minutes unless you are using a cycle that allows one to run for 45 minutes?  Do I understand correctly?

All of the functions in the tub shut off after 20 minutes if not touched: light, pumps, bubbler (therapy air). So when I'm done tubbing, I add chlorine and hit all three pump buttons- and yes, all run for 20 minutes then shut off on their own. The instructions with the tub advise doing a "boost" filtration after "intense use" or after adding chems. This turns the main pump on (circulating through the filter) and O3 on for 45 minutes. But pumps 2 and 3 are unaffected, so no water circulates though those pipes.....so I dont do that anymore!

My comment was not exactly critical, I just dont understand why any "clean" or "boost" cycle would be considered all that useful if it does not ensure moving water and chems though ALL PIPES.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 09:56:00 am »
I agree with Anne...and it's something I've wondered about since day one. The 10 minute run time is fine, but it SHOULD run both pumps for a true "clean" cycle...
RIP C-Rod

Tom

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 04:58:51 pm »
I just dont understand why any "clean" or "boost" cycle would be considered all that useful if it does not ensure moving water and chems though ALL PIPES.
The "boost" cycle and the 20 min shutoff are programmed into the controller.  I have forwarded your comments to our R&D department and perhaps they will look into it with our suppliers.
Tom
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 04:59:28 pm by Graybeard »

katyana

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 07:16:26 pm »
Thanks for all the info.  I am getting a tub in a few months and have wondered about "what" might come with the tub   ::)

anne

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 10:00:46 pm »
The "boost" cycle and the 20 min shutoff are programmed into the controller.  I have forwarded your comments to our R&D department and perhaps they will look into it with our suppliers.
Tom

thanks, Tom. It seems that it would just be a matter of programming, and such a simple thing to change, that it makes me wonder my HS and Arctic (perhaps others?) do it that way.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 10:00:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42