What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: generic spa filter question  (Read 4049 times)

Matt Foley

generic spa filter question
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:10:12 pm »
I think I need to replace the filter in my Marquis Retreat. I was hoping to buy a generic brand on-line, but I can't find the part number that I would need. Does anyone know?

Also, how do generic brands stack up to theose manufactured by the dealers?

Gracias tanto
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Hot Tub Forum

generic spa filter question
« on: January 04, 2007, 02:10:12 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: generic spa filter question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:24:01 pm »
In general generic filters have the same filter media as the ones manufacturers distribute.  I am not aware of any spa manufacturer who actually makes filters.

However, have you considered supporting the company that is getting you a new cover?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:42:01 pm »
 Would agree with Dan to support youf local guy, If its a single filter should be a
 UNC 4950 or the new # FC 2390  

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:46 pm »
Hot and Jac, thanks...that's what helps keep us around.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Matt Foley

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 12:26:51 am »
Ummmmmm.... My local guy wants $68.00 and I can get one on-line for less than $30.00. I'd love to support my local guy, but I think paying double for anything is asinine....Don't you?
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Reese

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:45:10 am »
Ummmmmm.... My local guy wants $68.00 and I can get one on-line for less than $30.00. I'd love to support my local guy, but I think paying double for anything is asinine....Don't you?
I agree, if it is truly the same product.  Just be sure you are comparing apples to apples.  Some aftermarket filters are constructed with cheaper media -- making them less effective, harder to clean, and probably shorter-lived.  I purchased a set on-line based on price once, and found out the hard way that all filters are not the same.  Had I made the right choice, I still would have saved a few bucks compared to my dealer's price, but in hindsight... his markup wasn't bad for knowing which filter brand was best, keeping it in stock, and knowing the correct model off the top of his head.

Matt Foley

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:04:47 am »
The brand I was looking at is Unicel. From what I've read here, they are very highly rated.

Reese

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 11:14:38 am »
The brand I was looking at is Unicel. From what I've read here, they are very highly rated.
Yes.  That is what the dealer carried, and the one I wished I had purchased either from him or on-line, because it looked more like my OEM filter.  I got a cheaper brand from one of the main on-line stores (not Doc).  I would describe the Unicel media as more like a nylon fabric with wide pleats, while the cheaper filter looks more like paper, and tightly packed.

May I ask where you found it for $30?  I'll be needing a set of replacements soon.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:20:46 am by Reese »

Matt Foley

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 11:53:38 am »
I found them on eBay from a much praised dealer as well as here: http://spafilters.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=spa_filter_listing_m.htm (free shipping)

Reese

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 12:54:15 pm »
Thanks! :)  I note that the filters at the link are Puracel, not Unicel.  It does appear that they use a similar media and construction.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 12:58:00 pm by Reese »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 01:21:30 pm »
 If it is the UNC 4950 I sell it for 39.95   68.00 is to high but hey he has to stay in business.

anne

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 01:22:20 pm »
I bought a Unicel filter at ebay for about $30. Ironically, the seller turned out to be an Arctic dealer on the east coast!
Dance like nobody's watching

Matt Foley

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 03:07:24 pm »
Thanks! :)  I note that the filters at the link are Puracel, not Unicel.  It does appear that they use a similar media and construction.

Dang, I didn't notice that, thanks for the heads-up.

I bought a Unicel off eBay for 23.95 plus 6.95 shipping. Much better than $68!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 03:07:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42