What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thinking Of Selling My Marquis  (Read 3203 times)

Matt Foley

Thinking Of Selling My Marquis
« on: December 22, 2006, 01:50:05 am »
We purchased this house about 4 months ago and it came with the Marquis Retreat. The tub is in perfect condition and has 4 years left of the transferable warranty.

The spa is kinda small for us and we were thinking about buying a new one.

What is the value of this spa? We were told by the owner that they paid just under $4500, if so, what is a fair asking price?

Thanks,
Matt
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 01:51:34 am by Jack_Squat »
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

Hot Tub Forum

Thinking Of Selling My Marquis
« on: December 22, 2006, 01:50:05 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Thinking Of Selling My Marquis
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 04:34:29 am »
How old is it? Sounds like a year? If so I would say about 2-3 grand. But use it as trade bait for a dealer you may find more value in reduced price on a new unit.
Retired

Matt Foley

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:05:14 am »
Yes, it is about a year old.

I thought selling to a second party would net me more than what a dealer would offer on trade.

Matt
Now from what I hear, you're usng your paper not for writing but for rollin' doobies! You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a van down by the river!

neocacher

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:33:16 am »
$3500

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:57:39 am »
Hey Matt, are you near Wisonsin? Tattoo lady has a Grandee that's too big for her, and was toying with the idea of a trade either private or via a dealer. Interested? Can you get yourself to Wisconsin?

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Matt Foley

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 11:26:36 am »
I think Wisconsin is about 5500 miles away, just a bit too far  :)

Matt Foley

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:20:47 pm »
$3500

Is that second party or what a dealer may give me?

Matt

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 01:24:57 pm »
I think Wisconsin is about 5500 miles away, just a bit too far  :)

Fed Ex?  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Uzona

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 03:30:25 pm »
The retreat is too small?   How big is the van? ;D

neocacher

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 03:55:37 pm »
$3500 is 2nd party. A dealer would give you about $2000-2500. HOWEVER you may find a dealer that would give you $3000-4000!   If you decide to go with a dealer, I guess you have to find out what the bottom dollar difference is, and make up your mind from there.    

I just traded in an older tub for a Caldera Cumberland, and got a HECK of a trade (IMHO).  I got as much or more than I could have sold it for. I didn't even THINK of selling it on my own after his quote.  But I had to listen to 3 or 4 other crumby quotes also.

Some suggestions:

1.) DO NOT RULE OUT A TRADE IN! Take pictures of your hot tub and bring them along when you go to the dealer. Tell the dealer that your tub is in MINT condition (if it is!) and tell them how you will tell all your friends about the dealer, if he gives you a good deal! (then make sure you do!)  

2.) Don't make up your mind on a particular model or brand.  Some dealers are "hungrier" than others.

3.) I guarantee that one dealer will give you a trade in heads and shoulders above the rest.  If it is a good brand, pick the model you want from that dealer and go with it. Because it is end of the year clearance time, you may do very well!

4.) Cost differential was more important to me than a particular brand. Because I was flexible with brand and dealership, I saved a LOT of money.  I went with the dealer that gave me the best deal, and I still got the size and voltage (I wanted 115V) that I wanted.  Funny thing is, I actually got the BEST tub in my size range, the BEST CASH TRADEIN,  for the BEST price, from a dealer that I think may be the BEST in town.  It is funny how it worked out. But I assure you it did.

5.)  Hope this helps.  Again, these are only my opinions. Others definately will have other opinions!

Neo

Matt Foley

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 12:11:17 am »
$3500 is 2nd party. A dealer would give you about $2000-2500. HOWEVER you may find a dealer that would give you $3000-4000!   If you decide to go with a dealer, I guess you have to find out what the bottom dollar difference is, and make up your mind from there.    

I just traded in an older tub for a Caldera Cumberland, and got a HECK of a trade (IMHO).  I got as much or more than I could have sold it for. I didn't even THINK of selling it on my own after his quote.  But I had to listen to 3 or 4 other crumby quotes also.

Some suggestions:

1.) DO NOT RULE OUT A TRADE IN! Take pictures of your hot tub and bring them along when you go to the dealer. Tell the dealer that your tub is in MINT condition (if it is!) and tell them how you will tell all your friends about the dealer, if he gives you a good deal! (then make sure you do!)  

2.) Don't make up your mind on a particular model or brand.  Some dealers are "hungrier" than others.

3.) I guarantee that one dealer will give you a trade in heads and shoulders above the rest.  If it is a good brand, pick the model you want from that dealer and go with it. Because it is end of the year clearance time, you may do very well!

4.) Cost differential was more important to me than a particular brand. Because I was flexible with brand and dealership, I saved a LOT of money.  I went with the dealer that gave me the best deal, and I still got the size and voltage (I wanted 115V) that I wanted.  Funny thing is, I actually got the BEST tub in my size range, the BEST CASH TRADEIN,  for the BEST price, from a dealer that I think may be the BEST in town.  It is funny how it worked out. But I assure you it did.

5.)  Hope this helps.  Again, these are only my opinions. Others definately will have other opinions!

Neo

Neo,

Thanks for the great advice. I hope to make it to the "dealer" this weekend. Perhaps he is willing to make a trade. If he wants to screw with me, I'll go to a Hot Springs delaer.

Matt

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 07:55:44 am »
A dealer may only give you 2500 but with another grand off a new spa that makes it 3500 Thats how you need to approach it with a dealer.
Retired

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 09:35:47 am »
I would think the Marquis would bring a bit more used because it still carries a warranty..
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Matt Foley

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 02:55:16 pm »
I would think the Marquis would bring a bit more used because it still carries a warranty..

That was my hope as well.

I did visit the dealer today and he said he would give me $3900 on a trade up to to a Destiny. But the more I thought about it, I may just keep the Retreat because there is only my wife and myself.... No need to overdue it.

Matt

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »
Matt, my brother-in-law has a Marquis, and he loves it. Where are you located? I might be interested in it. Cash on the hot tub barrel. You can PM me if you like.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 03:05:21 pm by galen »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 03:01:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42