What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozone and Soap  (Read 2992 times)

neocacher

Ozone and Soap
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:48:03 am »
I read in my owners manual (Caldera) that ozone is the only oxidizer that will eliminate soap. If this is true, it may shed some light on why some people have more success with ozone.  Obviously, this would reduce foaming and keep the water cleaner for longer periods of time and use less anti-foam chemicals.  

What do you experts have to say about this statement?

Cary in South Dakota

Hot Tub Forum

Ozone and Soap
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:48:03 am »

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
Re: Ozone and Soap
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:56:55 am »
Since you asked for experts I should keep my mouth shut. But I just can't. I have a recently purchased 2002 tub and I am not sure if my ozone is working.  I have had good luck getting rid of soap bubbles with an MPS shock. My son just had a birthday party and my water was crystal clear until 4 13 year olds got in with suits. Next time I will request the suits at the beginning of the evening run them through a rinse cycle and dry them before they go in.

Reese

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:08:34 am »
I don't know about whether dichlor or MPS oxidize soap or not, but I do know that a MPS shock usually helps if foam shows up in my tub.  

Regardless....I don't think hot-tub ozonators get enough ozone into solution to make an appreciable difference on any soap molecules that may be in the tub -- unless an ozone bubble and a soap bubble happen to meet at the surface! :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:13:16 am by Reese »

neocacher

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:16:21 am »
i agree about the ozone bubble and soap bubble meeting.  In my situation, where I do not have a 24/7 clean cycle, as many of us do not, the ozone would not be as effective.  However, with 24/7 cleaning a lot more of those bubbles would meet.

My reason that i am returning my ozone unit, is that I have limited filtration cycles, and so whatever value ozone does have would be reduced by 75% less run time.  I am not against ozone in the least.  I am convinced, however, that is is not cost effective for anyone, and even less so for me.    I do think there is somewhat of a convenience, safety, and peace-of-mind factor for those who do purchase ozonators and are especially usefull for those that do not use their tubs very often.

My .02 worth.

Cary in S. Dakota
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 11:19:08 am by neocacher »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:22:47 pm »
Ozone oxidizes soap.....but it takes some time.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:22:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42