What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I miss this forum!  (Read 6182 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: I miss this forum!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 02:38:15 pm »
Ok, so now I am thinking I am wrong...Drew here is the info you are looking for...literally (physically) right under my nose...http://burncorn.cas.psu.edu/   ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 02:38:15 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 03:06:00 pm »
Corn stoves burn dried corn, not cobs, as far as I know.
Brewman

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 03:07:02 pm »
 He goes by various names Jimmy the corn man, Mr. Corn.  He owns the most superior units in the world.

Take the letter "r" out, and the name fits like a glove.

Brewman

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 03:25:01 pm »

I understand that Costco is now introducing a spa burner stove.  Kind of a cross marketing venture with Hydrospa.  

(Putting on asbestos suit as I type)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

fatman

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 04:42:50 pm »
Corn stoves are a wonderful thing. I have owned a Bixby corn stove now for 2 years. It burns shelled corn between 12 and 15% moisture content. I buy bagged corn in 50 lbs. bags from a local farmer for $4/bag. Right now I am running the stove 24/7 and the temperature in the house is an even 73-75 degrees. If it gets too warm we simply turn the stove down a bit or open windows(yes, we literally open windows in the middle of winter to let heat out). The hopper holds about 100 lbs. of corn. There is no smell inside the house. I have 2 digital CO alarms in the house and they read zero when the Bixby is running. No problem there. Corn stoves are nowhere near the work, mess or smell of a wood stove.  Buying a corn stove is one of the smartest things my wife and I have ever done. We save a ton of money(we have not used the propane at all this year) and the heat it provides is great.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 04:57:47 pm »
Corn cobs can be used in place of toilet paper in a pinch, just like in the olden days.  You start with the red ones and finish up with the white ones.  I don't know if they have to be cooked, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Terminator
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:58:10 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 04:59:57 pm »
I'm with you Drew..I am getting too old for hauling wood. I thought of pellets but my wood stove is soapstone and I can't convert it...I am really interested in this co ,noorn stove. I am thinking it burns just corn cobs, could that be right?

No, no, no........not cork cobs. A specialy treated and proccessed kernal and cob, come in big bags. Feed the hopper full and the stove does the rest. A hopper can last alot of days depending on the thermostat setting of the stove. Built in fans, no POPPING, vented just like any other wood stove. Must supply fresh air from outside for the most effieciant burning.

Just like apellet stove, matter of fact I wonder if they are convertable????
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 05:00:43 pm by Tman122 »
Retired

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 07:36:07 pm »
Are you in Mandan?

The main store is in Mandan, I manage the store 100 miles west in Dickinson.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2006, 12:18:28 am »
How many heating hours do you get from 100 pounds of corn? Sounds like a great system.

Corn stoves are a wonderful thing. I have owned a Bixby corn stove now for 2 years. It burns shelled corn between 12 and 15% moisture content. I buy bagged corn in 50 lbs. bags from a local farmer for $4/bag. Right now I am running the stove 24/7 and the temperature in the house is an even 73-75 degrees. If it gets too warm we simply turn the stove down a bit or open windows(yes, we literally open windows in the middle of winter to let heat out). The hopper holds about 100 lbs. of corn. There is no smell inside the house. I have 2 digital CO alarms in the house and they read zero when the Bixby is running. No problem there. Corn stoves are nowhere near the work, mess or smell of a wood stove.  Buying a corn stove is one of the smartest things my wife and I have ever done. We save a ton of money(we have not used the propane at all this year) and the heat it provides is great.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

fatman

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2006, 07:47:12 am »
Depends on which heating level you set the stove to. Bixby has pushbuttons for "on/off" and heating levels 1-8 using "up/down" buttons. The owners manual gives exact feed rates. I can easily get a couple of days heat on the lower settings 1-3. Levels 7-8 take more. We have never run out of corn while heating.  When we first got the stove I would wake up in the middle of the night to check on it and make sure it was running well. I soon quit wasting my time. This stove runs so well, the flame is so consistant and the heat is so even that I just stay in bed.  When corn burns it forms a "clinker". A clinker is nothing more than solidified corn syrup. Somehow you have to get rid of this clinker. Either the stove does it or, on models other than Bixby, you have to manually remove it from the stove. Not a big deal as it is nowhere near the mess of a wood stove. It's easier to understand clinkers when you see a stove in person.  If I didn't have a Bixby I would buy a Golden Grain corn stove. Golden Grain is a heavy duty stove, simple operation and you can buy spare parts from the Grainger catalog.  I have never heard of any freestanding corn stove causing a house fire. The exhause temp is much lower than a wood stove. However, corn stoves must be installed with double-wall exhaust pipe.

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 12:57:50 pm »
We had a corn burner, but the revenuers kept bustin' it up. We had a two holer too, but that corn was for a different purpose. ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2006, 12:57:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42