What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Several questions  (Read 4326 times)

BigK75

Several questions
« on: December 09, 2006, 05:07:34 pm »
Gentlepeople:

I am new to this forum but have a couple of questions.  I am considering buying a hot tub.  Currently the only place I could put is in the corner next to the house and fence.  However there is a pond there.  If a bury it and put a cement slab will the cement crack or break because of the settiling ground (assuming I was to fill the pond with dirt).  Also my wife does not think it's a good idea to buy a hot tub because there is a chance that we will move in the next 1-3 years.  My thinking is that we can take it with us.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  

claude    

Hot Tub Forum

Several questions
« on: December 09, 2006, 05:07:34 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: Several questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 05:30:54 pm »
First, don't cross your wife. ::) Next, the pond area can be filled properly so as not to settle. Being a dealer, I would say yes buy it, and then bring it with you. You never know, the people buying the house may want to pay for it. It provides more enjoyment than a pond. However, I have a spa and I want a pond!
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 05:33:46 pm »
If you are moving locally, many companies move tubs for a reasonable rate. If you leave it,  it might help sell the house. I hear its a buyer's market right now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:37:40 pm »
I believe that to fill a depression such as a pond the 'normal' product around here is a clay-type soil. Very heavy, and when compacted well, is very solid....it is, however, a   b i t c h   to get out of the back of a dump truck when it freezes or is "sticky" wet.
IMO,  if you're looking at selling, there's no reason NOT to buy a tub. First, it's enjoyment for you and your wife for the next year or so, right? Plus, if YOU were in the market for a house and you saw "(x) year old hot tub", wouldn't you be more interested in buying? This is something I asked my hubby when he asked if it would up the property value....not on paper, but it's bound to bring interest. ;)
When you get ready to move, you might find that you would rather have bought a different brand, style, lounger, no lounger, etc.  This could be your "test tub", and when you move, you could buy a NEW one, with all that 20/20 hindsight!   :D
Sorry, I had a buddy that was a BAAAAAAD influence on me....he always said "It's only money, you'll make more." Between him and my OTHER bad influence friend that always says "If it's meant to happen, it will", I'm pretty well screwed.
RIP C-Rod

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 01:08:44 am »
We sold our house last year, and one of the main reasons our buyer chose our house was our hot tub. It won't necessarily add value to your house, but it may be an influential item with your potential buyers. We had to leave our tub there, as it was built into our deck. We now miss it very much!!

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't build the tub into anything permanent. I'd like to get another tub, even if we might move again. The tub could be part of the house negotiating process (i.e. "we'll take your offer of X for our house, but we'll take the tub with us. Otherwise, our price is still Y").
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 09:46:57 am »
I would not get hung up with that reasen that you sell you house.
If you love your tub ( most people do) then take it with you. This is not a big deal.

Your pond is not a problem either. fill it upwith clay and put a concrete pad over it.

One thing is very clear to me.
You will love your tub!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 06:18:48 pm »
take it with you when you move.  My dealer charges a couple of hundred bucks to come and pick it up and move it.  If not, make your money with the sale and buy another one at that time.  I think to sit back and not treat yourself because you may move one day is not a good reason.  

Shoulda coulda woulda.  Enjoy life now while you have your health.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:36:26 am »
I am pretty sure (Check your local laws though) you will have to take your wife with you when you move.

I tried to leave mine behind. But the new onwers made me come get her. You might be able to slip in some clause in your Purchase and Sale agreement about leaving her behind, but most buyers today are too smart for that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 09:38:09 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 10:10:30 am »
I feel the same as Dewster. But are we talking small yard pond? With a plastic liner? If so don't jack with dirt Jack. Get a wheel barrow and fill with gravel and be done with it. The guy that pours the slab will do it. If its a large pond then yes clay, but it has to be compacted to 2000 lbs. test or it will settle also. You can rent a compacter, If you choose dirt. If you might move in one year, you won't recoop your investment, but 3 years, its a wash. Price the home with the tub staying in mind. Then if there was something you didn't like about it or the hot tubbing in general, its an easy to start over.

anne

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 02:29:09 pm »
I am pretty sure (Check your local laws though) you will have to take your wife with you when you move.

I tried to leave mine behind. But the new onwers made me come get her. You might be able to slip in some clause in your Purchase and Sale agreement about leaving her behind, but most buyers today are too smart for that.

Your wife must be *such* a patient lady......... ;D ::) ;D ::)
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:31:43 pm »

Your wife must be *such* a patient lady......... ;D ::) ;D ::)

Which one? I've moved several times.  ;)

/she deserves better than me. That's for sure!
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 02:31:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42