What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Daily Shock Treatment? - Newbie needs help!  (Read 2590 times)

Mr. Dutch

Daily Shock Treatment? - Newbie needs help!
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:46:08 pm »
Hi Everyone!  Since my last posting on Sunday night, I am pleased to report that we have had a winter storm that has left me stranded in my home for two days.  We have also had to cancel school  for two days due to single digit temperatures, wind, and snow drifts!  This has left me without much choice but to soak in my new Jetsetter excessively and to drink too much boxed wine!   (No, not franzia - I only drink the good stuff.)

Now, to my question.  My dealer told me to add 1 tablespoon per user of MPS 10 minutes before every use.  Does this seem excessive?  My test strips seem ok, but I am new to all this.  I have not added anything else since I dumped in the specific amounts of other additives the dealer suggested after testing my water.  My skin is a bit sensitive (my back has been a touch itchy after using the tub), so I would prefer to use less chemicals than more.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Salutations from the frozen North!

Mr. Dutch

Hot Tub Forum

Daily Shock Treatment? - Newbie needs help!
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:46:08 pm »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: Daily Shock Treatment? - Newbie needs help!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:56:40 pm »
I assume that you are using N2 or the HS equivalent with ozone.

I add 2 tbs of MPS in my Envoy before (or during) each use along with a weekly dichlor shock.  System has worked fine for me for over 2 years now.

I have itchiness after not using the tub for a while.  I've always attributed it to the jet action rather then the chemicals since it's not there with the jets off.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:00:05 pm by tonyp »

Mr. Dutch

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:00:32 pm »
Yes, I am using the HotSpring MPS Chlorine-Free Oxidizer.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:21:30 pm »
You are doing fine.  Use either 1 tablespoon of MPS or 1/2 teaspoon of chlorine before each use.

Weekly shock with either 1 1/2 teaspoons chlorine or 2 1/2 tablesppons of chlorine.  If using MPS as the daily product, I usually recommend using chlorine as the weekly shock.

Itching could be pH.  You should check it weekly.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tileman

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:01:18 pm »
That seems like alot of chems to add to your tub each day. When your spa water has to dissolve that many solids each day, it has to make water changes alot more frequent then when using the post soak dichlor dose method. I have no research to back my theory up but I would think if your adding 3-4x more stuff to your water daily it's bound to happen.

anne

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:02:05 pm »
I know that it is common, and recommneded by dealers, but i do not get the logic of daily MPS. I consider chlorine to be a sanitizer- so needs to be done daily (or so) and MPS to be mainly an oxidider, for eating up chloramines........so why would you oxidize daily, with no sanitation?

Not trying to stir aything up, i just dont get it.
Dance like nobody's watching

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:41:39 pm »
I know that it is common, and recommneded by dealers, but i do not get the logic of daily MPS. I consider chlorine to be a sanitizer- so needs to be done daily (or so) and MPS to be mainly an oxidider, for eating up chloramines........so why would you oxidize daily, with no sanitation?

These are the MANUFACTURER'S (Nature2) instructions, not dealers'.  The theory is the sanitizer is the minerals.  The MPS or chlorine activates the the minerals with each use.

If you are maintaining a higher chlorine residual 3-5 ppm, you certainly don't need to add MPS daily and you don't need the Nature2 cartridge.

It would be a waste of money! :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Slappy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 12:44:25 pm »
I also use mps once a week and maintain my dichlor at about 1 ppm for tubbing and about 3 ppm for
cleansing/time away.  This has been working very well for me for the last 3 months. I'm just about due for a tub dump.

- Slappy

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 12:55:33 pm »

These are the MANUFACTURER'S (Nature2) instructions, not dealers'.  The theory is the sanitizer is the minerals.  The MPS or chlorine activates the the minerals with each use.

If you are maintaining a higher chlorine residual 3-5 ppm, you certainly don't need to add MPS daily and you don't need the Nature2 cartridge.

It would be a waste of money! :D

This is good info as I just started using the N2 as well and I guess I didn't get it either!   So that would be why it is recommended to keep a lower chlorine residual.  Very cool.

Here is what I am doing:
* adding a tsp of dichlor per person after soaking.  (I will try adding just 1/2 tsp and see what that measures)
*MPS to shock
*shock with dichlor once a month

If I did use MPS with each soak, couldn't I use it AFTER to oxidize what I just left in the spa?  I think it gives off a not pleasant odor and I like the idea of not adding stuff right before I get in.
2005 HS Vanguard

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 04:36:25 pm »
If I did use MPS with each soak, couldn't I use it AFTER to oxidize what I just left in the spa?
Remember that MPS will contribute to TDS quite a bit more than dichlor.  I'd suggest you stick with your current dichlor routine.  As long as the bacteria introduced during the soak is killed by the dichlor after the soak, a gradual buildup of chloramines is of no consequence on a daily basis.  A good shock, either MPS or dichlor, once every 1-2 weeks is enough.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 04:36:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42