What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Basic, basic water chemistry help?  (Read 5312 times)

MostlyLurkingGal

Re: Basic, basic water chemistry help?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:59 pm »
Thanks for asking Chad....everything is good right now, but my problems begin when I shock. PH is still good for now!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:59 pm »

tileman

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 04:47:21 pm »
Thanks for asking Chad....everything is good right now, but my problems begin when I shock. PH is still good for now!

You're welcome.
How many people use your spa regularly and do you follow the dichlor post soak dose strategy? If it's just 1 or 2 people and you D.P.S.D. I found that shocking with mps is the way to go. With a low number of soakers and daily sanitizing your need for superchlorination decreases. As long as you keep CC down with mps shocks I would limit your dichlor shock to once a month or after many bathers have used the spa.(i.e. you have a party)

Chad

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 06:14:47 pm »
Well Chad...sigh...only one soaker in my hot tub.  :'(
I do the 1 tsp. of dichlor after I get out routine.  Is there a way to know when to shock (by some readings) or is it just a do it once a week thing whether it needs it or not?

tileman

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 08:40:50 pm »
Well Chad...sigh...only one soaker in my hot tub.  :'(
I do the 1 tsp. of dichlor after I get out routine.  Is there a way to know when to shock (by some readings) or is it just a do it once a week thing whether it needs it or not?

That picture is too funny. ;D ;D

The reason for shocking is to oxidize chloraminates, which mps and dichlor both do with adequate amounts. It is also done to get a super sanitation, which only dichlor can do. This is done to eliminate any buggers that your daily dichlor dose can't. You get the best of both world's when using dichlor as a shock, obviously, besides the wait time for FC levels to fall back down to soakable a amount.
The best way to tell you need a shock is by testing for CC(TC-FC=CC). When your CC is greater than .5 it's usually time for a shock. Also when you notice your normal post soak dose doesn't last as long in the water it's a sign that you need a superchlorination.

Chad

anne

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 09:14:28 pm »
I'm also a mostly-solo tub user ( :'() and I do 1 tsp post-use as well-- works great. I shock with MPS about every other week, but even with me in the tub almost daily, I still generally have less than 0.1-0.2 CC at that point. From what I learned here, you really dont have to shock once a week "just because." If the tub does not need it you just add to your TDS over time, so you may be able to just do it every two weeks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 09:14:53 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 09:55:36 pm »
Thanks all....I appreciate all the help!

tileman

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 11:17:46 pm »
I'm also a mostly-solo tub user ( :'() and I do 1 tsp post-use as well-- works great. I shock with MPS about every other week, but even with me in the tub almost daily, I still generally have less than 0.1-0.2 CC at that point. From what I learned here, you really dont have to shock once a week "just because." If the tub does not need it you just add to your TDS over time, so you may be able to just do it every two weeks.

:-* Two women with nobody to soak with. :-*
I'll book the flight. ;) ;D

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 09:53:17 am »
I'll get the Margaritas ready.......... ;D

tileman

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 09:56:09 am »
I'll get the Margaritas ready.......... ;D

It's nice to see that you have a sense of humor about my post. I don't think Anne cared for it to much.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 10:01:09 am »
You were joking??

anne

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 01:10:17 pm »
No! I was fine with it! I was just teasing you on the other post. "Mi hot tub es su hot tub" :D
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2006, 01:10:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42