What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Floating remote controls on Marquis  (Read 5854 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Floating remote controls on Marquis
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:17:29 pm »
Anyone had a problem with the floating remote controls on their Marquis tubs?
Mine is not even a year old yet and it died! :'( I can't imagine that a battery could be bad because it is not used that often (compared to a TV remote or even my spa monitor). :( :(

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Floating remote controls on Marquis
« on: October 31, 2006, 07:17:29 pm »

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
Re: Floating remote controls on Marquis
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 07:49:40 pm »
Bonni,

I have a Marquis Quest model - and a two button floating remote.  My spa was 'installed' in February of this year (2006).  My original remote 'died'  :'(      in September.  I tried replacing the batteries (watch out for the waterproofing 'gel'!).  It still wouldn't work - so I took it to the dealer - who ordered a replacement for me - and delivered it in less than a week.

I'm not sure what the problem is - but I kept the first remote under the cover in the spa - in the 'holder'.  Since receiving the new remote - I only take it "in" the spa when I am using it - I keep it in the house otherwise.  

I guess the remotes aren't all that 'waterproof' afterall!  But I got a replacement no questions asked from my dealer!  :)

I'll be watching this thread to see if any of the Marquis dealers chime in with their suggestions / opinions.

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:52:20 pm »
Boni:  You can open the remote with a phillips screw driver.  The battery is likely dead.  I have seen a few that were not sealed properly and water got to the batteries.  The electronic board has a clear jello like seal in that protects it.  It is covered under a 3 year warranty, so take it to your dealer if the new battery doesn't fix it.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 10:03:13 pm »
Thanks, I'm going to return mine and do as SurgTec does, just bring it in every time. I usually keep it in the drink holder by the deep therapy seat..it's a great convenience since my favorite spot is opposite the control panel.
So Markee, is the Dolphin remote also covered for 3 years?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:06:24 pm by Bonibelle »

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:53:08 pm »
Looking at the warranty, it appears that the floating remote is covered for 1 year.  The dolphin remote would be considered a component of the Soundsations audio warranty which is 1 year as well.  Good news is, I have never seen a dolphin remote come in under warranty.  You can always control your jets and lights from that remote.  Both remotes are made by Balboa.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:22:30 am »
I'm on my second floating remote, too. The first one died about 6 months ago and I changed the batteries. It worked for a little while and then died again. I called my dealer and he replaced it, no questions asked. I never saw any moisture in there so I'm not sure why there was a problem.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:58:50 am »
mmmmmm looks like a trend is developing..Markee do you know if the design or anything has changed recently in the remotes, or can we just expect that they will have a life of under one year?  I think replacements are expensive when they are no longer in warranty :(

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:00:37 am »
I've had problems with my remote too.  It works intermittently.  I tried replacing the battery, but that didn't work. I called and asked my dealer about it and he said to clean the "eye", which I have done but it still doesn't work right.  He said to bring it in with me the the next time I come in.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:09:08 am »
Ruby, how old is your remote? I think your tub is newer than mine.
I wonder if Cappycat or Cola have any problems...Chime in here guys..I think we may have a run on bad remotes  :(

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:33:02 am »
At the time I had my dealer replace mine, I remember him saying how he had already replaced a few of them. And that was 6 months ago.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

MarKee

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 10:35:16 am »
The remote needs to be pointed at the black IR dot in the spa and held at a slight angle to work properly.  If you have the soundsations dolphin remote I would just stick with that for controlling jets/lighting/sound.  Like I said I haven't seen any of these come in under warranty.  Maybe Balboa is coming out with a new design on the spa remote, several manufacturers use the same remote.  Be sure not to leave it floating in the spa after you're done using it.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:03:05 am »
Markee, I NEVER let mine float in the tub at all. It is always by that back seat, the deep therapy seat. And to be honest, although I know the humidity is really high, I use the spa blanket and so my spa cover and the jet controls (and that little remote holder) stay relatively dry. I know it has to be be pointed perfectly because if you don't get it just right it will turn the pumps on and off right away. Mine is dead...I tried it right in front of the sensor.

MarKee

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:24:24 pm »
Well get a replacement from your dealer and hopefully you don't have any trouble with it in the future.  You do have sound and a dolphin remote right?

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 04:10:09 pm »
The key to these and similar remotes (jacuzzi went through them like butter) is they are water resistant not water proof. When not using them keep them out of the water and they will last a long, long time.

If you drop it in the water no big deal, just do not leave it floating in the spa.

You keep anything in water long enough and it will get wet!
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:01:45 pm »
I went and got a replacement remote and I will keep it dry, and bring it in each time I use it. So how do they keep the control panels working?  Will they eventually start to leak and stop working too?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 07:01:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42