What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Costco to sell Bulk Hot Tub Chemicals!!  (Read 6987 times)

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
Costco to sell Bulk Hot Tub Chemicals!!
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:04:01 pm »
Wouldn't that be nice if that statement were true!  ;)

They clearly have discovered a market in the hot tub industry but fail to realize where the real money is to be made.  I don't understand it.  Here is a company that prides itself on selling you a 10lb box of dry mustard and oh don't forget your hot tub on the way out.   I understand that liquid chlorine has a short shelf life but bhromine, dichlor or lithium hypochlorite for that matter.  

The stuff is out there and they’re shipping it in 20kg pails to the independent dealers.   Am I missing something?  No more 50 test strips…500!!!  Okay independent dealers, I’m sure I’m not making any friends with you guys, but purely from a consumer’s point of view of course.  There is tonnes of money to be made, I think Costco is really missing out on this one.

Okay, Fire at will...   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

Costco to sell Bulk Hot Tub Chemicals!!
« on: October 27, 2006, 05:04:01 pm »

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
Re: Costco to sell Bulk Hot Tub Chemicals!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 05:11:56 pm »
Okay, Fire at will...  

Why? What did Will do? ;)
...because integrity's the key

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 05:54:27 pm »
I don't think there's as big of a market as we think. Spas aren't pools that take a heck of a lot more chemicals.

I've gone 6 years with my 13,000 gallon pool on a combo of trichlor, cal hypo and bleach. I have bought 2 - 50 lbs of cal hypo and have about 10 lbs left, 1- 10 lb tub of trichlor and probably 20 gallons of bleach.

I've gone 1 1/2 (almost) years on about 8 lbs of dichlor, 3 quarts of clarifier and a bunch of stuff that I don't use any more (enzymes and such). Baking soda is actually cheaper at the grocery store at $0.85 for 2 lbs.

There are places that you can buy bulk such as dichlor but then you'll have to store the stuff, I guess if you have the place to store, it's a great idea.

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:14:23 pm »
According to the local Costco Sales rep I talked to a couple of weeks ago, they sell an average of 15 tubs every weekend.  I don't know if there is any merit in that statement but I think if you look at it from a high volume point of view, it cold be very lucrative.
(15 tubs) X (52 Weekends) X (how many stores chain wide).  All these people have to maintain the tubs there selling and to send their customers elsewhere for the chemical needs seems asinine.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 06:29:47 pm »
Are they actually stocking the tubs?

I know the local BJ's has an area when in season for pool supplies and they don't seem to move too much stuff. I see 50 lb tubs of Trichlor sitting there every month, a few less than the previous month...

There are places to buy bulk supplies - dichlor from Leslies in 2, 8, 25 ... is cheap but it is also less active ingredients, I buy dichlor from Doc - 5 lbs for $30 and it lasts almost a year. I looked at BJ's for baking soda and it was actually cheaper to buy a local store brand than it was Arm & Hammer at BJ's.

I guess it could be lucrative but I would also think they would stock the more commercial brands (HTH) and not things like Sea Klear or other spaecialty items.

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 06:49:46 pm »

I know the local BJ's has an area when in season for pool supplies and they don't seem to move too much stuff. I see 50 lb tubs of Trichlor sitting there every month, a few less than the previous month...

There are places to buy bulk supplies - dichlor from Leslies in 2, 8, 25 ... is cheap but it is also less active ingredients, I buy dichlor from Doc - 5 lbs for $30 and it lasts almost a year. I looked at BJ's for baking soda and it was actually cheaper to buy a local store brand than it was Arm & Hammer at BJ's.

I guess it could be lucrative but I would also think they would stock the more commercial brands (HTH) and not things like Sea Klear or other spaecialty items.

Your fortunate you have some choices.  Here in Ontario it's Costco or Costco.  And if Costco doesn't stock pool supplies your off to the dealer.  I'm paying $45Cn for 2 kg of lithium hypochlorite plus 14% tax!!   OUCH!!  

Come on Costco, rescue me.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 06:55:39 pm »
I think Doc sells to Canada ... PM him and ask.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »
Couple problem here as I see it. First, costco will need to assign a specific amount of space to the chemicals, and as costco goes, it would be a rather large space. They then require a a minimum turn over. I don't think the market is large enough to create the turn over they require (and you might be surprised at their requirement. I was in negotiations with them, very briefly, for a product, and this is one of the things that caused my jaw to hit the floor).

Additionally, since costco transports much, if not all of their stock, they could have a considerable additional expense now hauling something classified as hazardous material by the DOT.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 07:04:51 pm »
Someone posted a while back about Sam's club selling dichlor- IIRC it was a #75 pail for around $100.  
Brewman

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:09:25 pm »
Someone posted a while back about Sam's club selling dichlor- IIRC it was a #75 pail for around $100.  

Thanks Brewman,  can anyone in Ontario confirm this?

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 09:49:33 pm »

Your fortunate you have some choices.  Here in Ontario it's Costco or Costco.  And if Costco doesn't stock pool supplies your off to the dealer.  I'm paying $45Cn for 2 kg of lithium hypochlorite plus 14% tax!!   OUCH!!  

Come on Costco, rescue me.

Slimchance,

Do you use Lithium Hypochlorite? That's what my local spa dealer suggests for spas. For some reason, it seems more popular in Canada. Most people here have had better luck with dichlor.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 09:53:53 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

slimchance

• Jacuzzi J-365 Oh Ya!!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 04:07:44 pm »
Do you use Lithium Hypochlorite? That's what my local spa dealer suggests for spas. For some reason, it seems more popular in Canada. Most people here have had better luck with dichlor.

Yes I do!  I love it.  When you get out of the tub you feel great.  Your skin isn't dry and there is no smell at all.  It is an unstable chlorine so it is more UV sensitive, however if you soak mostly at night then I highly recommend it.  My tub might see one or two hours of daylight a week so stabilized chlorine is not necessary for me.  It is the most user friendly chlorine out there.

PS: active chlorine is about 35%  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 04:31:21 pm »
I'm really starting to wonder about Dichlor shelf life.   I've been buying Leisure time 5# bottles.  About the time I ran out and bought a new one, I opened the next bottle and had forgotten the smell of the fresh chlorine. I shocked with it and the next day my 3 month old water looked day one fresh.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 04:31:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42