What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Temps with kids in the hot tube  (Read 22117 times)

RGF

Temps with kids in the hot tube
« on: October 16, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »
Do you know of an optimal temp for a 2 ad 4 year old?  We are at 100 degrees, but I don't know if that is too hot/unsafe?

Rick

Hot Tub Forum

Temps with kids in the hot tube
« on: October 16, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
Re: Temps with kids in the hot tube
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:21:27 pm »
I keep my tub at 98 for just this reason.  They kids are pretty much temperature neutral at this temp (98.6 if they are human children).  They can stay in unlimited at this temp.  At 100 degs, I woudl not have them in for more than 15 mins or so.

When I want to get in, I run out, kick up the temp to 102 degs, and by the time I make the Rum and Coke and grab a towel and the wife, we are at 100-101.  After 5-10 mins, we are at 102 degs.  

I like to keep the flexibility to have the kids in if we want.  Not sure what the impact is on the electric bill is though??  Also, cooling off can take a while out here in South Florida, especially n the summer.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:22:20 pm »
140 degrees for two hours will get them tender. ;D
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:33:01 pm »
I've got a 2 and 6 year old and have had the tub for a year.  We keep it at 100 most of the time.  If I know the kids are going to go in in advance I will try to open the cover up and cool it off to 99.  I figure bath temps are safe up to 100 (thats what the temp on the cute floaty bath thermometers go to) so I'm not too concerned up to 100.  I usually bring drinks out for the kids and the little one I make sit out every 10 minutes for about 2 minutes or so.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 06:47:36 pm »
I put my 4 year old in the hot tube @ 101 for a max of 15min.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 07:13:32 pm »
I'm with lskarp
I prefer to keep my water temp near 98 when the kids are "playing" in the tub.  They rarely do the full body soak like the wife and i do, so I'm not all too worried.  Having said that, I still prefer to keep it under 100 for them.  

When the kids exit, i'll crank it up a few degrees for the wife and me.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

anne

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 07:16:24 pm »
I think a lot of people can give anecdotal advice about this, and I can tell you that I grew up with a hot tub that my parents kept at 102-104. All 3 kids survived. But maybe ask a pediatrician?
Dance like nobody's watching

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:28:24 pm »
Ours are 4 and 7 and we keep it at 100F.  THey stay in for no more than 15 minutes.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 07:49:37 pm »
Alot of people say ask your doctor, however as we all know you must be careful even taking a doctors advice. Alot of doctors are wrong and medicine is certainly not an exact science. So be careful for goodness sake.

So you need to use your own judgement(if you have good judgement). As we all know the the most crucial thing here is going to be the amount of time they are in the tub.
Keep it short and sweet.

Other people have argued that their kids sit in the bathtub with water much hotter than a hot tub for an hour and they are fine.. However keep in mind the majority of the time in the bathtub they are sitting in water up to their waste, not in water past their heart.

Cgy_Spa

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 12:13:40 am »
This subject is exactly what tipped the scales in the favour of the spa we purchased.  It has a super high cool down seat that puts our 2.5 year old no deeper than her waist. So far soaks with her have been at 101-102F.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 12:51:05 am »
... if they are human children)....  

If they are "Human" children?  What, prey-tell other kind of Children might there actually be  Alien?  If so, get a picture or two.  Holloween is right around the corner...

Thanks for the laugh!

...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Bama

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 02:34:55 pm »
Do you know of an optimal temp for a 2 ad 4 year old?  We are at 100 degrees, but I don't know if that is too hot/unsafe?

Rick

While I'm new at tubbing, I'm not new to kids and young respiratory systems!  
I know that kids are more sensitive and the body temp rises much faster than an adult.  Depending on the size of the child and the amount of body fat.
Rule of thumb: With tub temp at 100 degrees.......a small child should not be in for more than 10 minutes.
Tub temp at 98 degrees is much safter for the very young for the fact that
 Body temp is close to par.

Depending on the outside temp and the air quality/temp...
 the respiratory system of a young child is not developed as much as an older child  therefore, a small child may have difficulty breathing the hot steamy air just above the water's surface.  
For instance, water temp @ 100 degrees or up on a mild day could cause a small child to struggle for fresh air.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:38:38 pm by Bama »

gturn

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »

Rick
My grandkids are 3, 5, and 6 years old. I don't let them stay in over 15 min to be safe.  I keep the tub at 102 in the Fall and Winter and at 99 in the Summer.  Just because 98.6 is body temp doesn't mean the little ones can stay in for an unlimited amount of time.  If I stay in for half an hour I start getting uncomfortable with the heat and those little ones heat up faster than adults.  When it is 100 outside your body sweats because it wants to cool off, water transfers heat faster that air.  It is good to be safe.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 02:39:49 pm by gturn »

anne

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:40 pm »
I keep my tub at 98 for just this reason.  They kids are pretty much temperature neutral at this temp (98.6 if they are human children).  They can stay in unlimited at this temp.  At 100 degs, I woudl not have them in for more than 15 mins or so.
I missed this post somehow the first time 'round.

****THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!*****
I agree that you'll be safe at 98 deg for quite a while, but this is not a "neutral" temperature for us!!!! There was another thread on this not too long ago.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42