What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Soaking Question  (Read 2447 times)

The_Pa._Lady

Soaking Question
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:03:55 pm »
Just wondering what the soaking time is for some folks on this Forum.  I have arthritis, and I usually soak daily for 1 Hr, sometimes longer, at 98 degrees.  Do you think over 1 Hr is too long?  Thanks for your input.  

Hot Tub Forum

Soaking Question
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:03:55 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Soaking Question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:20:54 pm »
In the winter, I have soaked for about 50 minutes in 102º water ... it's really nice.

In the summer I put the temp down to 100º and soak for about 20 minutes.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:37:54 pm »
I've soaked for over an hour at 98.  

At 102 I can only soak for 20 minutes or so.  

I don't see any harm in soaking for an hour.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:23:08 am »
At 98 degrees, you are pretty much temperature neutral so soak away.  Most of us soaked at 98 degrees for 9 months or so.  If you go hotter, even 99 or 100, after 30 mins or so, you will probably want some water to rehydrate.  I woudl not recommend alcohol 'cause the dehydration hangover would really stink above 100!!!

I like 102 degrees for 20 mins.  Puts me in a nite-nite state of mind!! ;)

gturn

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 11:10:22 am »
Just wondering what the soaking time is for some folks on this Forum.  I have arthritis, and I usually soak daily for 1 Hr, sometimes longer, at 98 degrees.  Do you think over 1 Hr is too long?  Thanks for your input.  

Since body temp is 98.6 there should be no problems soaking 1 hr at 98.  I set mine at 99  during the summer and have had it at 102 since the first part of Sep.  I usually soak 20 min. At 99 I let the grandkids play for 45 min at a time last summer with no problems.  You can tell when it is time to get out.

anne

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 01:50:46 pm »
I agree that soaking at 98deg for an hour or so is fine, and I have soaked at 101-102 for 45 minutes or so. But it is not valid logic that 98 deg is a "neutral temperature". Yes, 98.6 deg is the average human body temperature, but we are exothermic, like all mammals, and our metabolism creates heat, so that heat eventually has to dissipate. I dont know the exact thermoneutral zone of a human, and it would vary with clothes and without, but generally it would be low 70's to mid 80's. At temperatures higher or lower than that, your body has to actively heat or cool you. You could probably hang out in 98 deg water for a pretty long time though.
As far as safety goes, as long as you are hydrated and healthy, you'll probably become uncomfortable and want to get out before you are in danger.
Dance like nobody's watching

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 02:20:04 pm »
Lately I’ve been soaking 35-40 @ 101

Last few nights have been in the 30's

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 12:32:02 am »
I agree that soaking at 98deg for an hour or so is fine, and I have soaked at 101-102 for 45 minutes or so. But it is not valid logic that 98 deg is a "neutral temperature". Yes, 98.6 deg is the average human body temperature, but we are exothermic, like all mammals, and our metabolism creates heat, so that heat eventually has to dissipate. I dont know the exact thermoneutral zone of a human, and it would vary with clothes and without, but generally it would be low 70's to mid 80's. At temperatures higher or lower than that, your body has to actively heat or cool you. You could probably hang out in 98 deg water for a pretty long time though.
As far as safety goes, as long as you are hydrated and healthy, you'll probably become uncomfortable and want to get out before you are in danger.

Very impressive Anne. Are you a Veterinarian by any chance?

"I dont know the exact thermoneutral zone of a human,"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 12:42:26 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

anne

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 12:44:47 am »

Very impressive Anne. Are you a Veterinarian?

"I dont know the exact thermoneutral zone of a human,"

Gombo, you made me laugh outloud at myself. Sometimes I forget that the information in my head is NOT normal. Yes, I'm a veterinarian, but I was a wildlife/conservation bio major in college. TNZ matters to small birds and arctic mammals a whole lot more than to you and me!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 12:44:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42