What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Have you drilled into the side of your spa?  (Read 4789 times)

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
Have you drilled into the side of your spa?
« on: September 23, 2006, 07:53:40 am »
I was going to title this thread "Have you screwed into the side or your spa" but I was afraid of what kind of responses I was going to get!!  ;)

I am waiting for delivery of my Geneva and looking at a few accessories.  The Geneva has I think one cup holder and looking at the Spa Caddy, Redwood folding table, etc. these need to be drilled into the side of the tub.  The metal folding towel holder also needs to be drilled in.  Now I know my Cover Lifter III will also be attached with screws but the dealer is putting that on so I am not as nervous.

Is is OK just to drill these other items onto the side of the spa?  The cabinet is synthetic so I am not even sure I am drilling into studs.  Should you remove the panels before drilling to see what's behind or just have at it?

Thanks,

Marc
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 07:55:32 am by gores95 »

Hot Tub Forum

Have you drilled into the side of your spa?
« on: September 23, 2006, 07:53:40 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Have you drilled into the side of your spa?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 08:14:19 am »
I have drilled a 1 1/2" hole into the corner of the spa for electric (knockout for electric was too high) and put my coverlifter on.

My advice is to remove the side panel(s), locate the studs to get a firm grip and you want to make sure you're not hitting anything important with the screws.

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 01:43:25 pm »
If your nervous about hitting anything behind the skirt, you can buy a drill stop collar at any hardware store for about $3 that will not allow you to drill past the preset depth
Bullfrog 451

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 02:46:31 pm »
Just don't puncture anything on the other side with a screw, like plumbing, jets, whatever.  If in doubt, as said earlier, take off the panel and see what's back there.

Brewman

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 09:48:52 pm »
Gores,

You should be fine for the most part as the new Watkins-made tubs have plywood backing on the inside of the cabinets.  The panels are easily removed though, just to be sure.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 09:48:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42