What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice on year round soaking  (Read 2222 times)

tileman

Need advice on year round soaking
« on: September 17, 2006, 07:11:08 pm »
In St.Louis, MO  our winters get pretty cold while our summers are extremely hot and humid. I hear different theories about whether or not you should keep a spa open year round. Any advice???
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 07:11:41 pm by tileman »

Hot Tub Forum

Need advice on year round soaking
« on: September 17, 2006, 07:11:08 pm »

Spiderman

Re: Need advice on year round soaking
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:01:24 pm »
Our summers in upper Michigan are the same; cold, cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer.  We bought our tub this past July.  It was delivered on July 14th.   July 15th was the hottest day of the summer at 102 F    Good timing  ::)  Anyways, we didn't care how hot it was and went in anyways; and every day since then.  I suppose as the newness wears off, by next summer we may pass on the 102 F days, but we normally don't have days that hot.  I'm looking forward to this winter when its -10 F out (or colder) and we can get into some hot water.  I would say use it when you want.  If you feel too hot, don't go in.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 08:24:23 pm »
We've had our spa since November.  We averaged probably 6 days a week until mid July or so.  The temps in July were well over 105 and still in the 90s in the evening and even when we had the tub down to 97 we found ourselves only using it once or twice a week.  We just hit a cooling streak last week (low 90's) but even better is we have cooled into the mid 60's in the evening and it is perfect for tubbing.  I think we will be back to daily tubbing now.

BTW, I'm in SoCal so we will have a mild winter...   :)  But yes, we use it all year round.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 08:25:16 pm by Brookenstein »

tileman

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 08:24:53 pm »
Hey Spiderman. I'm sorry I should have probably posted my question differently. What I'm concerned about is causing damage to my spa when I use it during really cold or extremely hot temps.

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 09:20:37 pm »
Brookenstein:

Where in SoCal are you that it gets to 105?  :o

I'm in San Diego and we had a heat wave in July when it got in the upper 80's

We're lucky in SoCal, no matter how hot it gets during the day, the nights are always cool.  Today: High 75, low 60.   8-)

Of course, that's why my friend in IL and I paid the same for our houses, but my entire house will fit in his master bedroom.

-geekd
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 09:22:11 pm by geekd »

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 09:53:22 pm »
I too live in the St. Louis area and plan on using the tub throughout the entire winter.  In fact, many of the reasons we bought the tub were driven from stories of soaking parties in January and February.

Jr

Brookenstein

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 10:33:02 pm »
geekd,

I'm in south Corona, about 90 miles N of San Diego.  We got as high as 114 this summer.  In fact my 6 yr old had soccer practice at 111 one Friday afternoon.  

My latest water bill (9/4/6) says the avg daily temp was 97 degrees.  I'm pretty sure the one before that said 105, I think thats where that number came from, lol.

nicker

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 08:43:59 am »
Winter is the BEST time to use it 100%    Winter and Summer months shouldn't cause any damage to the tub.  I mean unless its completely neglected.  Sun may fad the tub but unless you plan on keeping your cover off all day nothing you should worry about.  And winter, that is what they are made for!!!.  

Keep it open and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:28:17 am »
I live in New England.  I use the tub year round. It get's the least use in the hot summer months (July and August), but it is still used about once a week during those times.

I wouldn't even think about shutting the tub down in the cooler months.  Absolutey, positively not. Not an option.

I  specifically bought it for the cold months.  Sitting outside in the hot tub, at night in the cold air is aboslutey fantastic.  Cold weather tubbing is the best. I do feel somewhat bad for the folks in the warmer regions who haven't experienced sitting outside in the tub while the snow falls. It's beautiful. The hot water and steam and the jets are very comfortable, to me, it's the reason why the hot tub was made/invented..and the winter sky with the snow is stunning.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:31:40 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 09:28:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42