What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D1 Californian questions  (Read 2292 times)

still sore

D1 Californian questions
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:50:09 pm »
Who makes their brain and control panel? Are they quality? Sames question about the pumps, by the tags they almost look proprietary.

Is it worth giving up color options to go with the "ultralife" shell?

Should I worry abouot the "high flow" stainless steel heater as opposed to the titanium and other alloy heaters the Marquis and Saratoga are using?

Anything in particular to look / ask about? We're doing a wet test in a day or two. Would you have or have not special ordered any options if given the chance again?  

Whats a good price?

Thanks for any input, I'm hoping both the wife and I can agree on this one!

Hot Tub Forum

D1 Californian questions
« on: September 06, 2006, 09:50:09 pm »

still sore

Re: D1 Californian questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:53:28 pm »
Think I answered one of my own questions - the ultralife is a life warranty but f anything goes wrong you have to pay to have it shipped back to california (big $$$ from NY). Th regular shells have a 7yr warranty. I got to figure shipping a hot tub from NY to Cali is probably about 1/2 the price of a new hot tub, so, is there any justification for giong with the ultralife?

Reese

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:13:22 pm »
There was a discussion of this topic here recently.  I am paraphrasing here, but as I recall, D1 dealers claim that:

1.  It wouldn't cost that much to ship, more like a few hundred.  The dealer would likely arrange shipping, although they are not legally bound to.
2.  It wouldn't get that far, because the company and dealer would work out the claim to your satisfaction without shipping the spa back.  (Most likely repair locally, or work out a trade on a new one.)
3.  If it fails during that part of the warranty, you are likely to end up trading in your several year old spa for a new one for the cost of shipping, and that's not bad.

Given the better warranty on those shells, it reflects that their confidence is higher on that material.  D1 and HS have been using it for a long time.  It may not be as pretty as some of the colors or marbles that are available in acrylic, but it is probably good.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:56:55 am »
There was a discussion of this topic here recently.  I am paraphrasing here, but as I recall, D1 dealers claim that:

1.  It wouldn't cost that much to ship, more like a few hundred.  The dealer would likely arrange shipping, although they are not legally bound to.
2.  It wouldn't get that far, because the company and dealer would work out the claim to your satisfaction without shipping the spa back.  (Most likely repair locally, or work out a trade on a new one.)
3.  If it fails during that part of the warranty, you are likely to end up trading in your several year old spa for a new one for the cost of shipping, and that's not bad.

Given the better warranty on those shells, it reflects that their confidence is higher on that material.  D1 and HS have been using it for a long time.  It may not be as pretty as some of the colors or marbles that are available in acrylic, but it is probably good.

I've read through that thread and would paraphrase it much differently:

1) It will cost more than a few hundred (depending on your definition of "few"). The dealer may help facilitate the shipping.
2) There may be alternatives.
3) It would cost MUCH more than the shipping cost differnetial to trade the spa in for a new one.

It is a good warranty but the word "Lifetime" can be confusing to the consumer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Reese

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:34:29 am »
Miss that little qualifier?  Still Sore asked if there was any justification in going with Ultralife.  I just told him what I remembered of the D1 rationale.  Given the thoroughness of his search thus far, I was confident he would go back and take a look for himself.  I guess I should have included a counterpoint.  Would "Spatech seems to take issue with the term Lifetime," have been adequate? ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 12:55:43 pm »

Miss that little qualifier?  

Would "Spatech seems to take issue with the term Lifetime," have been adequate? ;)

1) No, I didn't miss the qualifier. I just wasn't sure if you were quoting them or if you were part of the "them".

2) Yes but I certainly think that is a good warranty. I just wish that word wasn't there because we all know that many customers think they're getting more than they really are and unless they ask more questions or look for the fine print they leave the store thinking the warranty is more than it really is which is a shame because it's a good warranty without he misleading "lifetime" terminology. I doubt many salesmen volunteer the extra info by saying "oh, and by the way, when we mean lifetime what we really mean is ..."
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 12:58:58 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Reese

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 01:12:12 pm »

Miss that little qualifier?  

Would "Spatech seems to take issue with the term Lifetime," have been adequate? ;)

1) No, I didn't miss the qualifier. I just wasn't sure if you were quoting them or if you were part of the "them".
If you didn't miss the qualifier, how do you interpret "I'm paraphrasing" and "D1 dealers claim" to be the same as "I think" or "IMO"? :-?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 01:20:19 pm »
If you didn't miss the qualifier, how do you interpret "I'm paraphrasing" and "D1 dealers claim" to be the same as "I think" or "IMO"? :-?

It gets into the belief part. You could have been "paraphrasing" to make it seem like an independent post when it was really a way to repackage it to get your point accross but that obviously isn't the case. Sometimes your radar gets a blip on the screen that isn't what you first think it may be.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 01:20:40 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Reese

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:46 pm »
Sometimes your radar gets a blip on the screen that isn't what you first think it may be.  ;)
Well, let's put it this way:  sledjunkie has no reason to hate me. ;)  By the way, are you really a tech -- or do you just play one on TV?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42