What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is my new hot tub new?  (Read 2673 times)

ready2tub

Is my new hot tub new?
« on: September 07, 2006, 09:52:10 pm »
Hi tubbing friends...
The deck has been built, the tub delivered yesterday.  I paid for it a month ago!  Yeah!!!
Well, I think...
First dealer told me cover was not available, had broken during shipping.  Delivered it with pool cover on it.  Spoke with dealer again on phone who told me they recommend I fill it, supershock it, run for 2 hours, drain and refill.  Why?  Because he says they test them at factory and sometimes water stays in the lines and bacteria can grow.        
 Today, I uncovered it.  There was dirt in places like behind neck rests and stuff...that's okay, dust right?
I took apart filter assembly and there's no filter, but inside filter cover is a layer of grime like I often find in my pool filter  (including the bugs, dirt).  It's kind of like the sedement I find after using a powder chlorine on the sides of my pool liner when I open it up in spring.  I also found grass growing up between the panels when I removed them (one was not so snug).
Hubby calls dealer who says, "oh yeah, we ran it across the street to test it again."  Hubby says he wants a filter and some chemicals to clean it up.  Okay he says.  I get on the phone and he tells me that they had to take it across the street to residential area because of power requirements.  Then tell me why it's okay that they have one in the showroom running?  Dealer tells me they've had problems with spas that have been in showroom for awhile, so they wanted to test it again before it went out.  Why did he tell me to flush it yesterday?  Must think I have Alzheimers (no offense intended).
Owner of the place delivered a cover this morning, but not the one that fits my spa.  I was impressed that he and wife did it themselves...
Am I being paranoid?  Again, I paid for spa in full on 7/28, never heard from them...like hey when you going to come get it?  Called them Thurs. last week, said they couldn't deliver until Wed. because of holiday weekend.  They told us it was in the warehouse.  
I'm going to take pictures of the grime and the grass in the morning.  I pay 8 Large for something new, it better be new.  I don't care about dust and some minor dirt...I told dealer of my concerns...he said "don't worry, there were no bodies in it or anything." haha
  I'm going there in the morning to get my filter and "free chemicals", but I'm bringing the filter cover with me.  If I can figure out how to take pics and post them, I'll do it.
Hot Tub:  Caldera Geneva
Thanks,
Kat
Through Thick And Thin....I Bleed Red  (Sox)

Hot Tub Forum

Is my new hot tub new?
« on: September 07, 2006, 09:52:10 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Is my new hot tub new?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:16:41 pm »
That does not sound like a great story.  It is hard to tell if the spa has ever been used, but it certainly sounds like it has been sitting around for a long time.  

I would have a "conversation" with the owner of this business and let him know you are not satisfied with the way things are turning out.  I'd try to clarify if this was actually a showroom model or not.  I really couldn't tell by your description.  If it was a floor model, did he tell you that was what you were going to get?  If not, either ask for a discount or get you a new model.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more disturbed I am with the whole thing.  I know this is not how Caldera likes their consumers to be treated.

I'd just have that conversation with the owner and let him know what your expectations were and how they were not met.  Find out what he is willing to do.  That will give you a start.  Keep posting to let folks here know where you stand.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:20:51 pm »
What's your gut tell you? Grass? Actual dirt, bugs, no filter, schmeg behind the pillows?
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:03:21 pm »
Were there stickers in the tub.
Sounds to me like they sold you a used spa.
Call the mfg and ask when it was delivered and get a copy of the shipper
A new set of filters, and about five hundred bucks cash, not credit would make me happy
BTW, what brand?
Steve

ready2tub

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:02:10 am »
Hi
I know it was a floor model.  But it was not a running floor model, just empty.  From what I understand, this thing should have been filled twice...once at factory and once before it came to me.  They wouldn't put chemicals in it to test it, would they?   I checked sales receipt and nowhere on it does it say "New" or the year of the model.
I've been happy with the customer service and I like the people at the dealer.  Part of the reason I bought from them is because they are a smaller place and I like to support my local businesses.  They never pushed me into a sale or tried to convince me of what I needed.  I did my reasearch, walked in, and we went from there.

thanks,
Caldera Geneva

Kat

nicker

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:46:31 am »
sounds like somthing fishy is going on.  The guy that you have been dealing with, is he the owner?  If not contact the owner.  This guy sounds like scammer.  If my tub came to be delivered in that condition, I would have told them to take it back!  My tub came and it was nice and clean and everything was there.

Id be tempted to tell them to take it back and get your money back if you can.  That is just a terrible way to do business.  Wether the tub is new or not and was just sitting around.  They should have cleaned it up and ensured everyting was there.  And what the heck is a pool cover going to do.  Just very poor business actions on their half.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:30:34 am »
I would be very upset.  You got an incomplete delivery and the tub isn't cleaned up. I get the impression this dealer is not being forthright with you .

What brand of tub did you buy?

1) tubs should not arrive dirty. Even if they are demos/floor models.  If he filled it up with clean water just a few days ago, then there shouldn't be that much grime and residue in the tub.

2) No filter? I wouldn't use the tub. I wouldn't fill it. I wouldn't turn it on and run it.  If something gets into the intake you are screwed.  A tub delivered without a filter is just stupid.

3) No cover?  This dealer sounds like an idoit.  Tell him to get a cover off his showroom floor and bring it over.  Why should you used a pool cover (ie a tarp).  

Grass should not be in the skirt.    I'd  give this bozo ONE shot at correcting this (and I'd contact the CC company or the bank and hold payment while he makes it correct).  

Sorry, this is whole delivery is unexceptable to me.
07 Caldera Geneva

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 11:02:15 am »
Look inside your equipment panel for the serial number.

It should start with one or two letters, then a number, then another letter.

Post it up here and then call the factory with that same number if things don't get resolved.  They'll be able to tell you everything you need to know about the tub.

Reese

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 11:13:53 am »
Drewstar is right, on this one.  I'd make sure the owner understands this is unacceptable.  Unfortunately, it sounds as though he is already in the middle of it, and not concerned.  This is a time for assertiveness, if there ever was one.  

That said, there are a lot of confusing aspects to this saga.  Your first post sounded like you were expecting a new, in the wrapper tub.  Then you knew it was a floor model.  If it was a floor model, how did it get all this dirt, especially grass in it?  Was it on display at a fair or tent sale?  If they truthfully water tested this tub, why isn't your dirt all mud?  If there are bugs and dirt in the filter compartment, but no filters, is it possible they ran it without filters and sucked some of that crud into the system?  If the cover was damaged in shipping, why would they not have a replacement, especially with a month lead time?  Why would they bring out a dirty tub, with no cover, then bring a cover that doesn't fit the tub?  Why would you or your husband seem ready to accept this if they just would bring the filters and some chemicals to clean it up?  Why did you pay in full a month before delivery?  I'm guessing it has something to do with the deck, but leaving 8 grand with someone for a month with no communication seems a little too trusting.  Why is there any question in your mind about whether this is acceptable? :-?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 11:13:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42