What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Good price for Caldera Elation  (Read 8008 times)

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
Good price for Caldera Elation
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:52:30 pm »
Hi..... wondering if there are any recent Caldera Elation shoppers/buyers out there?  

What is a good price for an Elation?  We looked at one last nite and were given a price of apprx 8,500 incl delivery, chems, steps, cover/lifter.  I believe these are 2005 (no chrome/stainless covers on jets) and silver pearl color (this color is not shown in 2006 brochure).  I asked the saleswoman but she said the stainless/chrome jets were on a different manuf (Dimension 1), not a 2005 v 2006 difference.

We've been leaning toward Sundance Optima but have held off purchasing.  Looked at Caldera as I've read good things about them posted here.

Wet testing Elation tonight.  Also looking for any feedback others may have on Optima vs Elation such as quality etc.  (beyond the stereo/lounger/lights/footdome/ozone/footdome differences).  In advance, Thanks.   :)

Hot Tub Forum

Good price for Caldera Elation
« on: August 28, 2006, 06:52:30 pm »

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
Re: Good price for Caldera Elation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:29:56 pm »
I have a 2006 Tahitian and it has stainless chrome jets.  unsure about 2005 vs 2006, but i know the 2005 floor caldera geneva doesn't have any chrome jets.  San Diego's a Caldera dealer and may be able to shed a little more light on the subject.  As for price not sure about your area or times but I know of people who paid that for a 2006 Elation or just a hair more.  Good luck with the decision and go with the tub you like for wet test and the dealer you can trust.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
Good price for Caldera Elation/Niagara (v Optima)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:19:37 pm »
Soooo.. we wet tested Elation last night.   Nice spa, but I did not love the lounger.  It was all right but seemed very long and I'm 5'7"so I expected to fit better.  The stereo was ok, but not great.   I REALLY  like the 1/2 lounge - it fits well, very comfortable and it doesn't take up 1/2 of the spa.  I also loved the seat w/ the neck jets.  For $1,000 less the Niagara might be a better spa than Elation for us.  Problem is it's not available to wet test.   :(  We sat in one dry but I don't feel comfortable buying w/out wet testing the model.

I inquired again about the stainless/chrome jets being 2005 vs 2006 model year and the sales girl said she was not sure if they are standard, or when the chrome jets were introduced, or if the spa available was made before/after.  Kinda a non-answer but it appeared that she really does not know (as opposed to be evasive..giving the benefit of a doubt).    

They do have a Champagne Opal Niagara in stock (wrapped in warehouse).  The 2006 brochure shows this color, 2005 brochure does not.  So I'm thinking the Champagne Niagara could be a 2006 and have chrome jets???  Are there any Caldera dealers that know whether/not a Champagne Opal Niagara could be a 2005?  And if it whether/not it would have chrome jets?

At this point we are between Sundance Optima and Caldera Niagara:

Optima @ 8,800 - no ozone, fantastic foot jets, more attractive waterfall, seems be be a higher quality tub.  Dealer not willing to negotiate much on price.  Wet tested twice & LOVED this spa .. this was "the one".  The only thing I thought could bother me down the road was that jets do not seem to have much differentiation.  They are very powerful but they all have a similar feel to me even though I played around w/ them a lot......Did anyone else notice this?   Also, I've seen where Sundance does offer an exterior light option but I've not seen a  photo.  Is anyone familiar with this option?  

Niagara @ 7,500 - ozone standard, great lighting, has 1/2 lounger.   To me the jets have more personality.   Dealer seems eager to make a sale.   Dealer spoke at length of standing by their products.  To me the jets have more personality.

Our deck is almost ready.  I've had enough shopping, and I'm ready to buy this week.  If possible I'd like to wet test Optima and Niagara back to back.   DH is set on ozone and would like to save the extra $$ but is totally leaving it up to me... Help.. I'm stressed...  Thanks.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:52 pm »
find out EXACTLY how old the spa is. Watkins starts ticking off the warranty at one year after the invoice date.

Hi..... wondering if there are any recent Caldera Elation shoppers/buyers out there?  

What is a good price for an Elation?  We looked at one last nite and were given a price of apprx 8,500 incl delivery, chems, steps, cover/lifter.  I believe these are 2005 (no chrome/stainless covers on jets) and silver pearl color (this color is not shown in 2006 brochure).  I asked the saleswoman but she said the stainless/chrome jets were on a different manuf (Dimension 1), not a 2005 v 2006 difference.

We've been leaning toward Sundance Optima but have held off purchasing.  Looked at Caldera as I've read good things about them posted here.

Wet testing Elation tonight.  Also looking for any feedback others may have on Optima vs Elation such as quality etc.  (beyond the stereo/lounger/lights/footdome/ozone/footdome differences).  In advance, Thanks.   :)
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

shabba34

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 02:50:07 pm »
find out EXACTLY how old the spa is. Watkins starts ticking off the warranty at one year after the invoice date.

The warranty kicks in after the next full calander year.  Ex:  1st quarter 05' product does not kick in until Jan 07' regardless of invoice date.  If they have an 05' Niagara, the factory warranty has not kicked in yet! ;)  

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 10:26:16 pm »
I think your salesperson needs to pick up a brochure and read it.  The stainless fittings were added for 2006.  They were not on the 2005 spas.

As to your choices - if you like the seats in the Elation (Except for the lounger of course), then you like the Niagara.  Caldera pretty much uses the same seats for spas in the same size range.  So, you have tested most of the Niagara already.

Good luck in your purchase.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:25:37 am »
Wisoki & Pkud - thanks for the information on warranty. I hadn't even thought about that. I assumed it would kick in from the date I purchased the spa.

Aquatub - thanks for answering the question on stainless covers on the jets.  It bothered me the salesperson did not know the answer.. but I tried to overlook her lack of product knowledge because other than that she was helpful.  Some history - we'd been to this dealer on two other occasions and had pathetic experiences so I swore I would not do business with them.  But hubby wanted to look for a pool light so he drug me back there - kicking and screaming I might add!   Only reason I gave dealer second third chance was because I'd read so many great things here about Caldera.  So... as ridiculous as this is.. I was grateful that someone took the time to talk to us!  The other two times we were there we were pretty much ignored.  Second time I'd called ahead and asked if they had certain models on display, and if they allowed wet testing.  I'd told "Jim" we were very much in the market for a tub... and we were driving in from the other side of town (this was during a major thunderstorm).  If he said 25 words the whole time were were there that was a lot.  Thinking he might be the quiet type I asked leading questions... but he could not have said less.  Then, as he was literally locking the door behind us he asked if we didn't want to wet test!!!!!!!!!!!!  Another chapter in our "spa shopping from hell" saga.   :o    

I've learned to laugh at these shopping experiences because in 6 months it will be history.   That said, I'm praying the service dept has more on the ball than the sales dept at this dealer.

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:34:34 am »
Good Luck!  Caldera is a great brand.  It seems to be growing a lot as you hear more and more about it on this forum.  Hopefully your dealer will get things together.

What part of the country are you in?  Checking on here for price can be a misleading thing.  There are many variables such as part of country, actual city, cost of doing business where you live, freight to different parts of the country, etc.  It is tough to get  a real comparison of price due to all that.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:01:34 pm »
I wouldn't let the stainless jets affect your purchase...unless you just love them.  Remember you will probably use the spa at night, plus you'll be sitting AGAINST the jets not looking at them. With the water action no one can tell if jets are chromed or not. ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 12:09:07 pm »
Just so us folks who are not familliar with the caldera eleation here's a pic:

Did anyone give you price feedback yet?
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 12:25:32 pm »
I wouldn't let the stainless jets affect your purchase...unless you just love them.  Remember you will probably use the spa at night, plus you'll be sitting AGAINST the jets not looking at them. With the water action no one can tell if jets are chromed or not. ;)

I hear ya but it just doesn't work that way. Waterfalls are another one that are exerywhere now and all it does is add some cost to the spa and some visual appeal IMO but i guess it matters to many on that showroom floor. Many of us wonder why customers care about chrome jets and waterfalls and other seemingly extraneous items in the spa but ...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:30:08 pm »

I hear ya but it just doesn't work that way. Waterfalls are another one that are exerywhere now and all it does is add some cost to the spa and some visual appeal IMO but i guess it matters to many on that showroom floor. Many of us wonder why customers care about chrome jets and waterfalls and other seemingly extraneous items in the spa but ...

Because to varing degrees these are big luxary items and we want the item to be visually appealing?  But I agree with you,  for me a lot of dressing wasn't too important.   My TR has a waterfall and I am amazed at how every single guest that has used the tub has sat in it and said "oooooh, I like the waterfall".    But yea, when it's just me and my wife in the tub, the waterfall is turned off.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 12:30:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 03:25:13 pm »

For me the stainless/chrome on jets is not a make/break factor.  I was trying to use chrome/no chrome to determine model year since the salesperson had no clue. (or feigned ignorance?).  I want to know if we're being offered an 05 or 06 at this price.

That said, I agree with Spatech in that they do think they enhance the appearance of the spa.  Especially at night when the lights are on as they add extra reflectivity.  

Drewstar - I've not had much feedback on price.  I searched history and did find some pricing...  At  7,500 (without any negotiating) the price seems fair.  THe dealer seems like they want to deal (much moreso than Sundance) so we can prob get them down a bit.  And I'm going to ask for an extra filter.  

My main sticking point is the quality of the Niagara vs Optima.  Niagara seems well made.  I love the Niagara features as well, if not better than Optima.  And price is obviously better... But the quality of Optima just seems higher.  One example is the cabinet siding.  Another is the waterfall (was not functioning on one of the Calderas the 2nd time we visited.. Also one of the jets on Caldera was not functioning).  Not sure if thais is a statement on the relative lack of customer focus at this dealer , or if there are quality issues.     My concern is.. if we buy the Niagara.. down the road... are we going to wish we'd spent the extra 1,500 & gone w/ the Optima.  

If anyone has comments on quality of Niagara vs Optima I'd love for you to share.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 03:32:30 pm by patty »

Chris_H

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 03:48:46 pm »
I read the thread, but am still confused on why the Niagara is less than the Elation.  

My is that if you asked Chas what he sells the 2006 Niagara, the amount will be over $8,500, but my guess is that he sells it for over $9,000.  

The Optima price is in the ballpark of its retail price.  If price wasn’t a factor I would recommend the Sundance, but a $1,500 difference is large considering the spas are generally the same size with a lot of the cool features.

patty

• 2006 Sundance Optima
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 03:56:59 pm »
Salesperson said Niagara is $1,000 less than Elation because it doesn't have a stereo.   That was verbal, not written.  I asked for a quote on Niagara after wet testing the Elation, thinking she'd write it up but she never did.  :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 03:56:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42