What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Leslies's chemicals  (Read 6093 times)

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Leslies's chemicals
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:22:57 pm »
Just picked up a 2lb canister of Chlor-Brite at my local Lesilies pool store.  Ingredients are sodium dichlor tri....blah blah

55% available chlorine.

I assume this is the correct stuff?

Noticed they sell it in HUGE buckets of it also.

Hot Tub Forum

Leslies's chemicals
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:22:57 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Leslies's chemicals
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:37:08 pm »
sounds like the same ingredent list in Leisure time's Spa 56 dichlor.

SPA 56
CONCENTRATED
CHLORINTATING GRANULES
FOR SPAS AND HOT TUBS

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS:
Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione Dihydrate: 99%
INERT INGREDIENTS: 1%
TOTAL: 100%

AVAILABLE CHLORINE: 55%

07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »
Texas why did you remove your post?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 12:49:08 pm »
Texas why did you remove your post?

I have always refrained from participating in chemical discussions as it is not my forte.  We have a trained monkey on staff who is cute and knowledgeable about such things.  I am neither.

There are people here much better versed than I, so I will defer to their expertise. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 01:15:11 pm »
I'm not a chemical pro either, and I am wary of bulk chems from discount suppliers. I know with my pool chlorine, i got to be careful with the chlorine levels, and other folks have warned that there is a shelf life on some chemicals.

Sled, how much was the bulk dichlor (price, weight) ?
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 02:40:10 pm »
A 40lb bucket for 104.99

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 10:16:50 pm »
Their basically the same but you really need to see what the active chlorine amount is. You mentioned 55% but the website says 52% ... maybe it's a typo.

If the price is right and you getting a bigger discount than buying the higher chlorine content then I say buy it.

Doc sells 5 lbs of 62% available chlorine which is 10% greater strength for $30, so my logic is that Leslies has to be at least 10% less in order for it to be the same buy.

I will say I use Leslies a lot for my pool chems as I haven't found anybody cheaper when it comes to trichlor and other pool chems (which dichlor is BTW) if you purchase it in bulk, it can get real cheap.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:23:38 pm »
It's a comforting feeling having a 40lb. bucket of dichlor next to the spa or in a closet, not properly sealed, lid on loose, wet hands going in there, 4 year old getting curious because it's too heavy to put up high, -just not a good idea to have such a large amount in one spot, when it gets used very slowly.

It's simply a hazard.

Maybe that's why it's not labeled for hot tub use.(that is ONE of the reasons!)

Ever hear of OXIDIZING AURA? A 40lb. bucket of chlorine has a six foot oxidizing aura. In other words, place it near a chrome bumper of a T-Bird or a HardlyDavidson, come spring time----no more chrome---OUCH.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:14 pm »
Ever hear of OXIDIZING AURA? A 40lb. bucket of chlorine has a six foot oxidizing aura. In other words, place it near a chrome bumper of a T-Bird or a HardlyDavidson, come spring time----no more chrome---OUCH.

I've never heard of this... are you saying a properly sealed container of chlorine (dichlor, trichlor or cal hypo) is still emitting corrosive fumes? Or is it the scenario of not beimg properly sealed that'll do it.

I would think that it is an extreme safety hazard for swimming pool and spa stores having all those buckets of each type in large and small quantities around if that was the case.

Please educate me as I store trichlor and cal hypo (and some dichlor for the spa) in my garage for my pool in the winter.

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 11:05:31 pm »

Vinny and others,

Oxidizing Aura's are very real!

At work we feed sodium hypo to the mouth of the plant intake to control zebra mussels, its stored in a 7500 gal sealed spun fiberglass tank.  The feed system is made out of pvc with teflon seats and o rings(no leaks allowed).  The system works flawlessly but there is always a faint chlorine odor in the feed room.  Any piece of metal or aluminium in the room powder coated or not will rot from the outside in, in about 2 yrs.

So hot tub pool boy is very correct when he says not to park your 65 Mustang Convertable  ;) anywhere near the stuff.
Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 08:03:06 am »
Thanks for the info!

Like I said, I've never heard of it before and walking into any pool/spa store and seeing all those chlorine canisters in a closed store gave me the impression that a closed container is safe.

I don't have a good nose but I usually smell a faint smell of chlorine ... not like the chlorine gas that I smell when I open up the bucket of chlorine but a slight one.

So I guess that all those stores must go through metal fixtures and wiring in a short time since the chlorine buckets aren't anywhere like the storage unit that you mentioned.

Good thing I can't get a car into my 2 car garage ... I own too much crap!

dkersten

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:16:59 am »
This gave me a flashback to when I was a teen and we had a pool, of which I was the sole maintenance person.  We bought big 30 gallon drums of chlorine tabs that were like 3 ft tall.  It was all kept in a poorly ventillated shed, and when I had to fill the chlorinator, I would open that container and the gas would just about knock me out.. there were days when my nose would start to bleed before I got the chlorinator filled and the lid back on..

But its all good.. I turned out fine in the end.  I am sure that the fact that I cant hardly see out of one eye, and that in bright sunlight I tend to lose control of my bowels has anything to do with the exposure to chlorine over the course of my developmental years..  :D

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 02:35:11 pm »
Yes, lid sealed- six foot oxidizing aura.

Thanks InCanadaeh, for the back up on the subject. Least it doesn't look like I'm blowing hot air.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

clover

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 08:32:46 pm »
IMPORTED chemicals are notoriously known to be "different", but cheaper and bought in large containers.  It is commonly thought "chlorine" is "chlorine" especially when you read the content label and they seem amazingly similar or same.  

Water problems seem to follow curious questions to the dealers are WHY is my water CLOUDY, then the statement when asked what they are using, the same stuff you sell, but later it is determined that it is bought elsewhere or comes from big box sellers that import chemicals.  Chemical content and make up vary from one source to another and it is not always on the label.  

When you have a persistent water quality problem, try using a reputable chemical brand from a professional dealer.  It is cheaper in the long run IF you use the good stuff rather than the "generic stuff".  OK, so it may be $2.35 more than your cheap stuff, but it IS different.  Common sense tells you that it is something you are putting IN the water. ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:18:10 am by clover »
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 08:25:02 am »
Yes, lid sealed- six foot oxidizing aura.

Thanks InCanadaeh, for the back up on the subject. Least it doesn't look like I'm blowing hot air.

I really never heard of it, I like learning about new things. As I said, I took it for granted about a sealed container.

Don't worry, I'll debate you when I think you may be blowing hot air. ;) ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 08:25:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42