What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shocking with Dichlor  (Read 3798 times)

In Canada eh

Shocking with Dichlor
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:33:11 pm »
Our tub has gone a little cloudy and I would like to try shocking it with dichlor.  I know to raise the chlorine to about 50 ppm and the amount needed but , I would like to know how long it takes for the level to come back down to a usable amount.  I normally shock with MPS but  have heard a few people swear by dichlor for shock and would like to try,  I know chlorine shock works wonders in the pool.

Thanks in advance
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

Shocking with Dichlor
« on: August 26, 2006, 11:33:11 pm »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
Re: Shocking with Dichlor
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:06:53 am »
I use a scoop out of a can of baby formula.  Two scoops shoud do it.  If does not clear by morning add one more.  The chlorine will be eaten up fast so you can use it tomorrow no problem.  Just test it if you want
Steve

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 07:16:14 am »
You don't need 50 PPM if it just went cloudy ... use like 10 or so PPM. Chlorine with the proper PH will kill everything and you'll be surprised how much chlorine is left over as residule.

I would make sure your PH is in the 7.2 to 7.4 range (more killing chlorine in this range) and bump it up to 10. The 50 to 100 PPM chlorine is for killing biofilms and you may not be fighting this. Remember to use a clarifier to clear up the spa, chlorine along with ozone (remember that thread ;) ) may not do it.  If you do use a lot of chlorine you can either use a neutralizer or plain old hydrogen peroxide - I think 1 oz kills 6 PPM chlorine.

The most important thing to remember is the contact time CT needs to be at a total of 2500 for a 99% kill - CT = PPM chlorine x time in minutes...  Remember I am a geek!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:17:31 am by Vinny »

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 08:37:38 am »
Thanks Vinny, going to give it a try this morning.
Bullfrog 451

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:51:25 pm »
Thanks Vinny and Steve, I put about 3/4 oz of dichlor (remember we have a small tub) in at about 8:30am and I just took a look and its clearing up well.  I think wife still had some sunscreen on when we were in on Friday night.  

I will test for residual in another couple of hours but it should be starting to fall
Bullfrog 451

Pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:23:46 pm »

I would make sure your PH is in the 7.2 to 7.4 range (more killing chlorine in this range)  ;D

Actually,  you should be more like 7.4 to 7.6   as it has been proven that chlorine is 100% effective at 7.5  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:30:47 pm »
Proven by whom?????????

When chlorine is added to water, a reaction occurs splitting it into hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ions. The hypochlorite ion does not actively contribute to the sanitizing ability of chlorine (only 1%), but is an extremely strong oxidizer The hypochlorous acid is the active, killing form of chlorine and what does the actual sanitizing.

The amount of hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite ion that is produced when chlorine is added to the water is directly related to the pH of the water. At a pH of 6.0, 96% of the chlorine will become the desired "killing" form of chlorine,  hypochlorous acid. At a pH of 7.0, 75% of the chlorine will become hypochlorous acid and at 8.0 the hypochlorous acid concentration is only 25%. At a pH of 7.5 (the average spa) the amount of hypochlorous acid produced is about 50%.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 07:22:26 pm »

Thanks to all,

Tub is all clear now and chlorine level is back to 4 ppm :)

Sumthin ugly must have gotten in there
Bullfrog 451

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:52:59 am »
sunscreen????     clarifier?????    

Clean them filters.  Any time my water gets a bit cloudy, I shock with dichlor and clean the filters.  This seems to work pretty well for me.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 11:41:09 am »
Clean first, then shock.

Strange no ones ever mentioned this........... Chlorine has to oxidize everything in the water before it begins sanitizing. IF, you have dirty filters, filled with organic debris, a lot of chlorine is going to be WASTED oxidizing the dead material caught in the filter(s).

I expect to be given credit for this for all time to come  ;D

sunscreen????     clarifier?????    

Clean them filters.  Any time my water gets a bit cloudy, I shock with dichlor and clean the filters.  This seems to work pretty well for me.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Brookenstein

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 11:46:34 am »
I clean, shock, then clean again (like 24-48 hrs later). {if the water was unusually cloudy}
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:47:33 am by Brookenstein »

nicker

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 12:33:56 pm »
just curious as why the though of Dichlor instead of MPS.  I find Dichlor never worked well for me and MPS is much nicer.   I switched almost 2 years ago to shocking each week with MPS and have not looked back.  I do use Dichlor for sanitizer and it works well for that.

But I guess its what ever works for each user.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 01:02:57 pm »
Dichlor has 9 times the oxidizing ability of  MPS. e.g. 1 tsp dichlor = 9 TBS MPS in oxidizing ability. MPS tend to cost twice what dichlor costs, pound for pound. MPS adds to TDS levels significantly more that dichlor.. On the other side of the coin. dichlor add to cyanic acid (a work I can never remember nor spell.. as I'm sure someone will correct) As this acid increases, dichlors effectiveness decreases. You also have to wait much longer after shocking with dichlor before using the spa.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 01:14:08 pm »
I use MPS.
I find it lowers my PH, so I'm consistently balancing with baking soda.

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 01:56:56 pm »
Or you can toss a coin when you go out to the tub..

hmmm, dichlor shock or MPS shock today?

Taking the conflicted approach you can leverage the benefits of both. MPS when you want to use the tub that day, dichlor routinely for the superchlorination effect.

;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 01:56:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42