What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: astm covers  (Read 2412 times)

dead men walking

astm covers
« on: August 27, 2006, 09:39:56 pm »
Are all hot tub covers you get with a hot tub astm covers. What are some of the manufactores that are or are not. Thank You

Hot Tub Forum

astm covers
« on: August 27, 2006, 09:39:56 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: astm covers
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 10:55:02 pm »
Are all hot tub covers you get with a hot tub astm covers.

Absolutely not. Some might even claim they are but in fact are not. Look for a label on the exterior of the cover that actually says it meets ASTM standards. If the label isn't there, it doesn't meet the standards (having the label is one of the requirements). ALSO, READ the label! There are a couple of different standards. One is for meeting the standards of a "safety cover", the other is for a non-safety cover. The label will say which standard it meets.  
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:59:16 am »
Also should have a UL listed label as well.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 10:01:13 am »
Why? There are no UL requirements for a spa cover. All UL can do is test that the cover meets ASTM standards, and at a cost MANY times higher than other testing facilities (my recollection is $10,000 for the initial testing and a $1500 annual maintenance fee). The requirement required to be met are not all that complicated nor difficult to meet. The cover has to support a certain amount of weight, a ball of a certain size can't be fit under the cover when latched closed, water can't puddle on the cover and proper labeling needs to be attached (these are the basics).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:41:08 am by lets »

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 10:07:33 am »
ASTM uses UL guidelines I believe in safety testing.  Not 100%, but I've noticed that every tub that is ASTM approved also has UL logo as well.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:08:15 am »
To make sure your cover doesn't electrocute you. ::)
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 10:10:15 am »
Sorry, Kyle...... as you were posting I was modifying my original post........ UL has nothing to do with the safety standards for a spa cover written by ASTM.

I've talked to a few other cover manufacturers who were also considering having their covers tested by UL. For ALL of them the only reason they were considering this was for marketing purposes.

ASTM uses UL guidelines I believe in safety testing.  Not 100%, but I've noticed that every tub that is ASTM approved also has UL logo as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 10:11:38 am by lets »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:39:54 am »
OK, so I just tracked down every cover manufacturer that has their covers UL listed. Some, do in fact make a very good cover.......... but others???????? "Debatable", I think, would be the kind word to use. As I said before, it's not very difficult to meet the ASTM standards, it is though more difficult to built a quality cover that will last for a reasonable length of time.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:42:59 am »
That's an expensive marketing driven plan since most people don't even question cover quality before the purchase.  UL has a hefty charge.  I would think they would just bypass altogether since already ASTM.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:48:32 am »
Yeah it looks like they are by choice and separated.   I wonder if the standards are the same?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 11:33:30 am »
Yes most consumers don't ask, BUT if the sales person can say that they are UL listed, and the competition isn't, it makes for a convincing sales pitch. This is America, land of the sales pitch and marketing. Where else would someone invent a product, and then invent the NEED for the product  ;D ;D ;D

The last manufacturer I was talking to about this (a good friend) figured he could raise his prices so that his current volume would cover the costs, and figured on being able to increase sales 5% to 10%, just from the marketing ability. So far.............. he's still thinking about it..

That's an expensive marketing driven plan since most people don't even question cover quality before the purchase.  UL has a hefty charge.  I would think they would just bypass altogether since already ASTM.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:34:28 am »
Sorry, you totally lost me here  :-?

Yeah it looks like they are by choice and separated.   I wonder if the standards are the same?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 11:34:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42