What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Tub - Chemical Questions  (Read 4764 times)

Webini

New Tub - Chemical Questions
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:28:06 pm »
Got my Jetsetter delivered yesterday, yeah!  The delivery guys did their chemical magic and gave me the care sheet.  They reviewed everything, but I was on info overload.  I've read a lot of the posts here but still have questions.  From my experience in the paper industry I know not to go making all sorts of adjustments - just let things settle out and solve one issue at a time.

I come home this afternoon.  Spa is now up to 102.  Check

I am using the Everfresh system.  So I have the FWIII Ozonator plus the AG+.  Bubbles from ozonator, check.

So I take out the Freshwater test strips.  My instructions from the dealer say "Everfresh", my chemicals and test strips say "FreshWater".  I assume "FreshWater" is right.

Anyway, I do the dunk the test strip and twirl three times dance.  Here's what I get top to bottom:

- TBr: does not register.  I was told with this system to ignore this.
- FCI: does not register.  Uh oh.
- Alk: right around 100.  Check
- pH: 7.4.  Check
- Hardness: right around 300.  Check

So I need to add dichlor.  Per the instructions on the bottle I add 3 teaspoons and run the Clean cycle with the cover open.  I test again and FCI looks between 3 & 5.

* How long so I have to wait before a soak now that the FCI is good?  I have now closed the cover.  3 hours or so?
 * Do I need to test every day, or is every couple days OK?

I'm a perfectionist so I want to get this right and develop a routine so that I can have my wife take care of the spa when I am travelling.  The dealer says to:

- add 3 teaspoons MPS prior to a soak and run the Clean cycle.  OK to use then
- weekly test strip (Sat).  Adjust pH as needed.  Other as needed.
- shock w/3 teaspoons dichlor
- Sunday add 1 ounce Stain & Scale Defense

* How soon after the Sat and Sun routine can I take a soak?  I assume for both I need to have the cover open and run the Clean cycle.  ???

I WANT TO USE MY NEW TUB - THIS IS KILLING ME!   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

New Tub - Chemical Questions
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:28:06 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: New Tub - Chemical Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 02:32:18 pm »
Everything sounds right on the money.  Hop on in!!!  I wait about an hour after I shock the spa.

Congratulations!  Let us know how it goes. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Webini

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 02:37:43 pm »
Everything sounds right on the money.  Hop on in!!!  I wait about an hour after I shock the spa.

Congratulations!  Let us know how it goes. :)

Terminator

Excellent.  I was hoping you would answer Term.

How about Sunday?  If I take a soak in the morning I'm adding the MPS prior.  When I get out then do the Stain & Scale Defense.  Can I then close the cover while the Clean cycle runs?

How often should I to the test strip thing?  Every day or once a week like the dealer sheet says.  My gut tells me the right answer is somewhere in the middle.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 02:40:44 pm »
Yes sir, you can close the cover while the clean cycle runs.

You'll probably test your water 4 or 5 times/ day the first couple of weeks if you're like most customers.  Once you get settled in and see how easy it is to maintain, once/ week is plenty. :D

Terminator

Webini

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 02:45:01 pm »
Yes sir, you can close the cover while the clean cycle runs.

You'll probably test your water 4 or 5 times/ day the first couple of weeks if you're like most customers.  Once you get settled in and see how easy it is to maintain, once/ week is plenty. :D

Terminator

You're probably right about the test strip usage.  I went out and bought more on my way home today.  :)

Last questions (I hope).  I know for the Sat dichlor shock to leave the cover 1/2 open.  How long?  For the MPS addition pre-use, can I dump the MPS and close the cover until I jump in?

My wife has threatened me with death or worse if I take the initial soak without her.  She'll be home in 3 hours.  Grrr.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 02:45:22 pm by Webini »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:32 pm »
When I shock the spas, I prop them open with a rolled up towel (or tennis balls or a block of wood or an empty Shiner Beer bottle), add the chlorine, turn on the jet pump, and leave it.  It'll run for 2 hours then shut off.  The water is crystal clear and ready to go.

Regarding the MPS, yes, just close her on up.

You better wait for the Mrs. if you know what's good for you! :o

Terminator

Webini

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:51:20 pm »
When I shock the spas, I prop them open with a rolled up towel (or tennis balls or a block of wood or an empty Shiner Beer bottle), add the chlorine, turn on the jet pump, and leave it.  It'll run for 2 hours then shut off.  The water is crystal clear and ready to go.

Regarding the MPS, yes, just close her on up.

You better wait for the Mrs. if you know what's good for you! :o

Terminator

By "Jet Pump" do you mean the Clean cycle or the Jets control?

Yes, I'm going to wait.  The tub is our 20th anniversary present to each other.  If I go in without her we won't make it until 9/6.

If I ever get down your way I owe you a beer or six!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 02:54:35 pm »
"Jets" button.  When you push the Jets button, the spa runs for 2 hours and then shuts off (it assumes you forgot about it)

When you push the "Clean" button, the spa runs for 10 minutes to clean up after you.

I will definitely take you up on the beer offer.  I'm meeting Spaman at the State Fair of Texas  in October to drink beer, smoke cigars, and try to help him sell some HotSpring Spas. :)

Terminator

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 03:42:30 pm »
Congrats and enjoy the new tub.  The only bit of advice I might add regards your "I'm a perfectionist" comment.  Being a perfectionist is not such a bad thing but trying to keep your water perfect is.  If this is your first tub (and it sounds as if it may be), you will have a tendency to overdo water care...just remember that water care is like hand gernades and horseshoes...close counts.  Do your best to keep from measuring and adjusting your water more than once a week...weekly is more than enough.  Also, follow the "rule of least" regarding chemical usage...if your water doesn't need it, don't use it.  The weekly use of stain and scale defense is probably not needed as a general routine.  The more chems you add the faster TDS will build and the skinnier your wallet will get.  Good luck and anjoy that tub. 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:13:39 pm »
Webini,
With Everfresh Water Care- you use MPS prior to each use. Once a week, shock with chlorine, mps, or enhanced shock. Once a month shock with Chlorine and wipe topsides of spa and underside of cover with chlorinated spa water. You will not normally get a chlorine reading, that's o.k.
ftp://http://www.scarritt.com/spasanitizing.htm this may help- section D or I have a sheet customized for a jetsetter that I could fax to you at work. Send PM if you want.

Congratulations!
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Webini

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 04:14:16 pm »
Congrats and enjoy the new tub.  The only bit of advice I might add regards your "I'm a perfectionist" comment.  Being a perfectionist is not such a bad thing but trying to keep your water perfect is.  If this is your first tub (and it sounds as if it may be), you will have a tendency to overdo water care...just remember that water care is like hand gernades and horseshoes...close counts.  Do your best to keep from measuring and adjusting your water more than once a week...weekly is more than enough.  Also, follow the "rule of least" regarding chemical usage...if your water doesn't need it, don't use it.  The weekly use of stain and scale defense is probably not needed as a general routine.  The more chems you add the faster TDS will build and the skinnier your wallet will get.  Good luck and anjoy that tub. 8-)

Great advice, thank you.  I don't see myself trying to get the readings perfect, but I do want to create an easy to use checklist for my family.  Working in process control in the paper industry (in another life) I learned very quickly that less change is more, especially w/chemicals.

Webini

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 04:19:22 pm »
Webini,
With Everfresh Water Care- you use MPS prior to each use. Once a week, shock with chlorine, mps, or enhanced shock. Once a month shock with Chlorine and wipe topsides of spa and underside of cover with chlorinated spa water. You will not normally get a chlorine reading, that's o.k.
ftp://http://www.scarritt.com/spasanitizing.htm this may help- section D or I have a sheet customized for a jetsetter that I could fax to you at work. Send PM if you want.

Congratulations!

Thank you.  I'm sending you a PM.

It's great getting validation here of what the dealer is telling me.  I would feel like an idiot calling them multiple times as I think of questions.  Here I still feel like an idiot, but the questions are answered in minutes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 04:19:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42