What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Proper order of things at filling  (Read 6543 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Proper order of things at filling
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:39 am »
I have iron in my well water, so I never add any sanitizer, (I use bromine) until my metals product has circulated for a while. Actually, I wait until my tub is hot. I believe I remember reading on here that high chlorine or bromine levels can cause inaccurate readings on other chems...so I always get hardness, alkalinity and ph in balance first, then add my bromine..all this after using the metal out product.
My dealer gave me a procedure (SOP  ;D)and I put it in a plastic sleeve for reference. Sometimes, it is hard to remember the order since we don't do water changes that often. :-/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:01:27 am by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:39 am »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 10:57:07 am »
I'm not going to make 1000 before I leave on vacation  :'(  ............

Try reverse alphabetical  ::)

Total Alkalinity, pH, hardness, chlorine.

See ya next Saturday....... if anyone cares I'll be here;

http://www.hotelesterobeach.com/

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 03:02:49 pm »
Here is how I do it.

Fill the spa.  Add Metal Gon.  When temp reaches 85, test and adjust TA, pH.  Add enough calcium to get over 100.  Add chlorine.

The micropure filter will not filter out calcium.  I've been using the Sundance 1 micron filter on the circ pump since 2002 and my calcium levels have never dropped.  I still don't understand how the micropure filter can be matched up to any high flow pump if it is truely filtering to one micron.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 03:34:51 pm »
Anne,

The reason it is advised to adjust total alkalinity and pH before adding dichlor is that if the pH is not in the right range, the chlorine is not effective.  Also, if the pH is too low, which can happen when dichlor is added to your raw water, the result can be accelerated corrosion of your water heater,  pump shafts and seals.  So there is a reason for doing it as the Northman and others have recommended.  

Bill
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:35:58 pm by Bill_Stevenson »

anne

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:32:08 pm »
Anne,

The reason it is advised to adjust total alkalinity and pH before adding dichlor is that if the pH is not in the right range, the chlorine is not effective.  Also, if the pH is too low, which can happen when dichlor is added to your raw water, the result can be accelerated corrosion of your water heater,  pump shafts and seals.  So there is a reason for doing it as the Northman and others have recommended.  

Bill

that, as well as Boni's comment about the inaccrurate readings, makes sense to me. Next time, that is what I'll do!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 06:32:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42