What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck Support  (Read 3029 times)

38super

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Deck Support
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:07:11 am »
Hi All
Just about ready to buy Caldera Tahitian but still having deck support questions . As it stands now
deck is 14' wide 18' long and stands about 9 ' Joists  16' on center . Deck is trex
Columns are (3)  6" and 8' apart with two 2" by 10"s. My contractor said all I need are two more carriage  bolts
for a total of three per post .  I feel this will not do . I went to building inspector but
will not come to house for evaluation only after . (What are taxes for???) to tell me if it will hold . I am looking at 2 1/2 tons up there.
What I want to do is add three more posts 7' in which will sit right under tub. Is this over kill or is contractor right?
thanks.......... Will

Hot Tub Forum

Deck Support
« on: August 14, 2006, 02:07:11 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Deck Support
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:27 am »
Yes you need 2 sets of joists and a minumum of 4 post right under the tub. Have to see the underside to be exact but I would make sure the tub has 2 headers supporting it.
Retired

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:39:11 am »
There really isn't any such thing as overkill- if it makes you fell better, put in the extra supports.  The standards are minimums, and the only thing it hurts if you exceed them is a few bucks out of you pocket- but for your peace of mind it'll be worth it.
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:04:07 am »
There really isn't any such thing as overkill- if it makes you fell better, put in the extra supports.  The standards are minimums, and the only thing it hurts if you exceed them is a few bucks out of you pocket- but for your peace of mind it'll be worth it.
I agree. Even if your contractor is right it seems you'll still feel uncomfortable and if you're in the spa and you hear a "creek" you'll feel terrified that the house of cards is coming down. Tell him you want peace of mind and git 'er dun.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 11:04:25 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:42:55 pm »
Another thing I think is noteworthy is I am not sure about all insurance companies, but mine (American Family) will not cover you in the event of your deck crashing.  If someone is injured, then it will pay up to your liability amount, however, if the deck breaks due to overload or poor construction, you are pretty much SOL.
I personally built my 8x10 spa deck out of 2x10 pressure treated, and brought a header under the entire structure just to be safe.  

Jr.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 01:42:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42