What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Free Chlorine  (Read 2263 times)

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
Free Chlorine
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:13:05 pm »
Well, our SunDance Maxxus was delivered yesterday, and all I can say is WOW!  We had it up and running and the entire family spent several hours relaxing in it last night.
I have all of my chemical levels in check, except for my Free Chlorine which according to the dip strip, my tub has no free chlorine present.  What should I add to increase this?
I will post some pictures of our new addition as soon as I figure out how to add them to my post.

Thanks again,
Jr

Hot Tub Forum

Free Chlorine
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:13:05 pm »

tumbleweed

• HotTub'n
Re: Free Chlorine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:39:06 pm »
Use spa shock to release the free chlorine from the combined chlorine.  read the directions on the shock to reach breakpoint chlorination.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 08:02:19 pm »
While it may be true that you have some combined chlorine, the other truth is that chlorine gets used up by heat. It may be very possible that you either didn't add enough chlorine to meet the demand, added enough to just meet the demand or addeded enough to have a slight residue and now there's no residue or you added chlorine before you went in and used up all the chlorine.

When you add enough chlorine the reading should be about 3 PPM at 20 minutes after you add. I think most people will have some chlorine in the morning using the chlorine after they soak.

Some newbies simply don't add enough and that may simply be the problem. BTW you are looking for a constant chlorine level to be maintained and you may need to add chlorine on days that you don't soak.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 08:46:56 pm »
The more the tub gets used, the more chlorine you'll need to add.

I would combine a dose of chlorine with the spa shock (don't actually physically mix them).  This will help clear the water of combined chlorine and also increase free chlorine.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 09:54:15 pm »
I agree with the others, but here's our spin on it.

After heavy use, like you just had, shock the spa with Chlorine. One teaspoon per one hundred gallons will achieve a break-point shock. Leave the spa cover open for 15-20 minutes after adding chlorine, with jets running. Not a bad idea to up the dose by a teaspoon or two.

You can add some chlorine if guests get out, alittle at a time, to bring it up to 1-3ppm, before people re-enter. This is HIGHLY recommended with repeat use or use throughout a day.

Creating a shock is an all or nothing action. If you don't add enough to exceed a demand (the bad stuff) and exceed the break-point (10ppm) you'll have to double your last dose.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:52:36 pm »
After soaking this evening, I added 2 tablespoons of SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate.  This brought my chlorine levels up to right at 3 on the stick.  However, my water is somewhat merky looking.  
Is this an indication that I need to add more, or is this a typical charastic following 4 people soaking for right at an hour?

Thanks again,
Jr

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 12:20:12 am »
Gary, you should read "What is the "Dichlor Dosing - Vermonter Style" under the FAQ section at http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

It's the chlorine bible for spa owners. Give it a try.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:00:30 am »
After soaking this evening, I added 2 tablespoons of SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate.  This brought my chlorine levels up to right at 3 on the stick.  However, my water is somewhat merky looking.  
Is this an indication that I need to add more, or is this a typical charastic following 4 people soaking for right at an hour?

Thanks again,
Jr

If 2 TABLESPOONS only gave you 3 PPM - you have a serious problem and need to add more chlorine - hit it with 2 more tablespoons and leave your cover open. Run your pumps! After about 1 hour you can close the cover. If it still is cloudy then add a lttle clarifier and after it clears up - clean the filter.

I believe you had a serious chlorine demand and it happens to some of us at times.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:00:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42