What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealers,  (Read 5204 times)

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
Dealers,
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:12:00 pm »
How many competetive brands have you actually soaked in?

I've never been in a Hot Springs, and it's been years since I soaked in a Sundance or a Cal Spa. I'm curious how many dealers actually own the spa they sell?

I know as dealers we have the option to soak in anything on the floor after hours, but how is that really like owning a spa in your own backyard and taking care of it year round? ???

How many dealers really know anything about service, except taking the service call? We all brag about our own brands from a selling point, we've been trained to do that....But how many of you really understand and have actually worked on the spas that you sell?

I've been in this business for a long time and quite honestly have been quite comfotable selling one brand for the majority of it. A few years ago my boss rocked my perfect apple cart by adding a brand who's technology was everything I sold against. Now that was a challenge for me!!!

In April, (after begging for the last few years) my boss sent me to tech training. That opened up my eyes to a whole new level of this business. I'm going out on a limb here,(what the heck we've just painted my showroom and I've been smelling paint for two days so I can recant this later if I need to lol) if your shopping and you want an opinion that doesn't come from someone who stands to make money from your sale, find a tech forum and get an opinion from the people who work on spas.

I don't know of any tech forums, but i'm sure they're there. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Dealers,
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:12:00 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Dealers,
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 07:45:03 am »

You can find anything you want to know about Spa Engineering or the technical aspects over at ...........................  Naw, I can't say it
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wetone

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 09:54:22 am »

1 -  a Beachcomber 530:)
I've never been in a Hot Springs, and it's been years since I soaked in a Sundance or a Cal Spa. I'm curious how many dealers actually own the spa they sell?

between 3 stores we sell Coleman, D1 & Sundance. Have owned a D1 for 2 years.
I know as dealers we have the option to soak in anything on the floor after hours, but how is that really like owning a spa in your own backyard and taking care of it year round? ???

Not the same, actually owning a spa is more work as it gets used more and it's outdoors, in our experience anyway.
How many dealers really know anything about service, except taking the service call? We all brag about our own brands from a selling point, we've been trained to do that....But how many of you really understand and have actually worked on the spas that you sell?

Personally serviced every brand we sell. Not because I had to, but rather to get to know the inner workings of that brand.

I've been in this business for a long time and quite honestly have been quite comfotable selling one brand for the majority of it. A few years ago my boss rocked my perfect apple cart by adding a brand who's technology was everything I sold against. Now that was a challenge for me!!!

We sold exclusively 1 brand for 3 years, when that manufacture went under and left us hanging we went to multiple brands. It can be a challenge on occasion but our experience with selling multiple brand has been positive, it allows us to focus on what the client really wants/needs and suggest the model that best meets there requirements.
In April, (after begging for the last few years) my boss sent me to tech training. That opened up my eyes to a whole new level of this business. I'm going out on a limb here,(what the heck we've just painted my showroom and I've been smelling paint for two days so I can recant this later if I need to lol) if your shopping and you want an opinion that doesn't come from someone who stands to make money from your sale, find a tech forum and get an opinion from the people who work on spas.

In my opinion, if you know every nut and bolt in the spa you sell you can explain the inner workings with allot more accuracy and credibility to a technically inquisitive client.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 10:06:57 am »
I agree with a lot of this.  Haven't been in too many competitive spas... namely Caldera and Dimension One.  Both very nice tubs and I'll continue to admit that until I'm out of this business.

I've been on a few service calls- I've replaced Moto-Massages and other things myself, repaired cover lifters, and even installed a SpAudio II.  When we have our homeshows I always make sure I bring a service tech or two along.  None of them really have the knack for selling, but when you get the engineer types in the booth, they really put them at ease.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:20 am »
"when you get the engineer types in the booth," God help you!  :-)  I can say this with a smile because I am one, an engineer that is.  'Tis often a curse actually.  

The best advice I can give is when you get an engineer type in the booth, hand him/her a copy of the technical manual and then stand back and let them figure it out for themselves.  Trying to be polite and answer questions could open you up to challenge and minutia that has little or no bearing on the subject anyway.  The less you say the less can be held against you.

The other thing I can tell you is that we generally need time to weigh all the options.  A quick close is very unlikely unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Good luck.  

Regards,

Bill

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 11:30:20 am »
I've never been in any spa except our own brands (Watkins) with the exception of at hotels and a friend's inground spa back in high school.  I have no desire to get in any other brand of spa as I don't see the point.

We can't afford to buy a spa as HotSpring does not have any factory direct stores like some companies.

I can change filters, silver cartridges, and water.  I stopped a leak one time by replacing a broken drain valve cap with a Jose Cuervo bottle cap.  I've helped deliver spas and put cover lifters on in an incompetent fashion, which is my forte.  That's about it.

Terminator

Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

shabba34

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:05:42 pm »
"when you get the engineer types in the booth," God help you!  :-)  I can say this with a smile because I am one, an engineer that is.  'Tis often a curse actually.  

The best advice I can give is when you get an engineer type in the booth, hand him/her a copy of the technical manual and then stand back and let them figure it out for themselves.  Trying to be polite and answer questions could open you up to challenge and minutia that has little or no bearing on the subject anyway.  The less you say the less can be held against you.

The other thing I can tell you is that we generally need time to weigh all the options.  A quick close is very unlikely unless there are extenuating circumstances.

Good luck.  

Regards,

Bill
Those train drivers are one tough cookies! ;D

If you know your product or the inner dynamics of said product, dealing with the "I know more than you" types, and "Why not re invent the wheel" types is a welcome conversation rather than discussing "duz dis hier hav a bubbler" ;).

Back on topic:  HS, D1, SD, Jac, Marq, Cald, Vita, Nordic, and some others....oh...soft tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 07:12:58 pm »
I have soaked in lots of in-ground tubs, and some wood hot tubs. I have also soaked in: Softtub, Freeflow, Jacuzzi, HS, TR, Caldera, Solana, HotSpot, Coleman, Sundance and several other brands which have gone out of business now. I had an in-ground spa with a Cal Spa shell - so old it said "California Acrylic" on the step.

I started our company by hiring a store manager and then spending all day out doing repairs on pools and spas, of all brands. I got contracts to do warranty work on several other brands - Sundance, Cal Spa, Diamonte and some now-defunct brands. So I have very in-depth knowledge of the guts of these things. I can end up wasting lots of time trying to track down some stupid part for some do-it-himselfer because I just KNOW I have one of them in the warehouse or on one of the service trucks.

And I was on track to become an engineer when I changed majors. But I did complete four years and I do have an "A&P" license - so called 'jet mechanic's license.' Which only means that I no longer have the sense to shut up and stop arguing when some engineer comes in and says that gas is cheaper than elelctric.

I have a nine year-old Grandee in my backyard, which is for sale, and I will likely put a new Grandee there when it sells. Or I may put a Niagara - I have a left-over 2005 if anyone is interested...

::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahappy

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:21:26 pm »
This is really interesting getting the history of everyone. In certain cases it might explain why some of us are the way we are and believe the way we do...

Chas still laughing about the engineer comment ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 09:06:11 pm »
In certain cases it might explain why some of us are the way we are and believe the way we do...

1.  Which cases?

2.  What is your interpretation of their responses?

This sounds fascinating!

Terminator

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 12:50:53 am »
I have a 2005 Marquis Epic in my backyard.  I have done spa service work for 20 years, starting with Sundance spas at one of their largest dealers in 1985.  I have worked on nearly every brand, doing warranty work for several manufacturers throughout the ' 90's.  I have worked on Marquis products and products with Balboa Controls since 1985.  For about 10 years all I did was repair spas, 30 to 50 every week.  I have also delivered over 3,000 spas into people's backyards.
I have had several different brands of spas in my backyard over the years and have soaked in 5 or 6 brands other than Marquis in the past 2 years.
Since I have owned my own retail stores, I have sold Marquis eclusively, except for a 10 or 11 month period 5 years ago when I also sold Sundance.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 10:09:41 am »

I have soaked in the following tubs:
Beachcomber 750
Beachcomber 740
Dimension 1 Lotus Bay
D-1 Aurora II
D-1 Chairman II
Softrub 300
FreeFlow Passport
Coleman C470E
Coleman C471D
Hydropool 625 Anniversary
Hydropool 675 LE
&
Hydropool AquaTrainer 17'

I don't think I qualify as a dealer, but maybe thats just symantecs. I am a sales person. I understand what you mean though. My service esperience is limited to installs, jet replacement (not just the pop in and out kind), pressure switch replacement and a sensor replacement on a M7 pak. I am good a diagnosing customer fixes over the phone but thats it.

In my opinion, a store owner should experience service, but when the business gets to the right size, stay out of it.

Been there, done that.

In April, (after begging for the last few years) my boss sent me to tech training. That opened up my eyes to a whole new level of this business.

My requests were denied or accepted and not honoured.
Homeworks Financing Representative

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 10:33:22 am »
I think SpaHappy makes some interesting points.

A dealer really does need to understand and know the competition, not just on price, warrenty and compnents, but how the tubs actually perform.

New shoppers come in here, and ask for opionons.  Hot tub owners, not in the buisness can provide actual experiences of ownng the tub, but comparityelvy, they are limitied. (I love my Sea Monkey Spa, It's the best!!!" But in reality, many of us have a very limited experience to compare it to.  

Some Dealers/sales folks/techs  have a different limitation:  really living with a spa on a day to basis. Not just soaking in a tub everyonce in a while inside a showroom, but having a tub, that you saved up for and knowing you'll be liiving with it for a long long time, paying for the elctricity, caring for it, buying the chemicals and using it, having guest in it, etc.  It's a different angle.

In my opion, both positons have thier merits as well as limitations, and dealing with a sales person who owns a tub that they bought, and use everyday is a plus, as well as a salesperson who has tried the competiion and can truley speak from a position of knowledsge and actual experience is  a valaubale asset.

07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 10:50:03 am »
This is where I stand on trying other brands of spa:

How will it help me sell more spas?  I don't see how it would.

I sell my spas based on their merits.  I tell shoppers about the benefits of owning a HotSpring Spa.  I invite them to try it for themselves.  I encourage them to wet test the other brands.  No one has ever asked me how I like the jets in my competitors' spas.  If they ask me what I think of other brands, I tell them that there are some good brands out there and there's a ton of pure junk.  Do the research, here's some information for you, we'd love to have your business, etc.

That's been a successful approach for us for over 20 years and I see no need to fix what ain't broke. :)

Terminator

spahappy

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 03:26:15 pm »
Not asking you to fix anything Term,  ???  If it aint broke don't fix it..

Speaking from personal experience, I would like the chance to soak in more brands than I've had the opportunity to.

Until we brought on a second line, I had no idea how two different manufacturer's seating and jets could feel so different from one another. Variety leads to choices, and choices are good. Unless you can't choose. ???

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 03:26:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42