What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wiring question..  (Read 3047 times)

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
Wiring question..
« on: August 02, 2006, 05:03:20 pm »
Do most owners wire their tubs with the flat outdoor (UF) #6 wire, or would it be ok to wire it with the standard indoor (round) #6 wire?  My wiring will be protected by my deck except for a couple of inches where it will pass through the tub wall.

Thanks,
Gary

Hot Tub Forum

Wiring question..
« on: August 02, 2006, 05:03:20 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Wiring question..
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 05:55:11 pm »
For the wire run from the outside disconnect (Pull box, or GFI Panel, whatever you're using), I'd run #6 copper THHN/THWN wires.   Run this inside of 1 1/2" pvc conduit rated either sch 40 or 80 as called for by code.
You can transition from rigid to flex condiut for the last 6' or so to make hookup easier.  
Many areas do not allow romex type of cable (either UF or indoor) because the ground lead isn't insulated, and current NEC rules call for the ground to be insulated.
Plus the ground in those cables is often not the same gauge as the conductors, also possibly violating code.
For your indoor wiring, if any, they may allow the cable.
My inspector dis-allowed any romex type of cable period.

Check with your local inspector to see what is and what is not allowed in your area.

If you don't have the electrical requirements for you spa, you can download the manuals from sundance's web site.

Are you doing the 60 or 50 amp install on the Maxxus?

Brewman

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 09:43:25 pm »
Brewman,

I bought a 60 amp circuit and 60 amp gfci outdoor box.  The round cable I was looking at only had 3 wires in total (red, black and white) where the flat (outdoor rated cable) had red, black, white and then like a #10 ground wire in it.
According to Home Depot, the UF cable can be ran without the need of encasing it in conduit.  Again, the only place it will be exposed to the elements at all is where it comes out of my deck and into the tub.

Thanks,
Gary

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 10:26:33 pm »
The National Electrical Code requires that the ground be insulated separately from the other wires.  The paper wrap used in UF does not qualify.  Therefore you must run THHN in conduit.  That is unless your area does not follow the NEC.  Either contact an electrician or call your local electrical inspector.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 07:36:29 am »
Tony is spot on.  The non insulated ground wire in most pre made cables disqualifies it per NEC rules for use in pool and spa hookup- especially the run from your outside disconnect to the spa.  
Call the inspector's office and get their rules.  Likely you'll need a permit and a couple inspections anyway, so you might as well get it right the first time.

It may be true that in general UF cable doesn't have to be in conduit- it's actually made for direct burial in the ground, but in specific applications it may not be allowed at all.  

Let us know how you end up.  You're going to love that Maxxus.

Brewman

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 09:05:48 am »
tony,

The wiring I am talking about it approximately 1 1/4", flat, and has all 4 of the wires insulated (in rubber) from one another.  Unfortunately, I cannot find a picture of what I am talking about, however, the guy at Home Depot said this was the only #6 wire they have that is weatherproof.
Concerning building codes. The odd thing is the county I live in has all kinds of codes and requirements when we put our pool in last year, however, they do not even require a permit for installing a hot tub.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:28:59 pm »
The hot tub may not require a permit but any electrical work does!  

Normally the UF cable has the ground wrapped in paper.  I would still check with the electrical inspector.  I also prefer to use conduit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:28:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42