What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need help on QCA Spas / Menards  (Read 9298 times)

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Need help on QCA Spas / Menards
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:40:40 pm »
Menards Home Centers (similar to Lowes and Home Depot) have just started special ordering QCA Spas.
They are selling what appears to be the QCA Topaz 30 model for $3700.
The QCA web page shows the mfr. list price at $5700.+
Any one have knowledge of QCA Spas?
We are in northern U.P. MI so we need one that is able to withstand cold (minus 30 F) useage.
All repiles welcomed ::)

Hot Tub Forum

Need help on QCA Spas / Menards
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:40:40 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Need help on QCA Spas / Menards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:07:30 am »
I would strongly doubt its insulating quailty's....when you see spas at this price point unless they are smaller spas that are smaller in stature only but built to the same standards as their larger family members...than the other spas are designed to hit a price point but cut corners on the things you cannot see and the insulation is usually the first place.....

deputy_dog123

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:29:03 am »
I live in the quad cities and have been to the factory where these spas are made at.  I would not reccomend buying one of them. I have known too many people around here who have, only to be plagued with a lot of problems. I would look for a more reputable brand such as hot springs, arctic, cal spas or whatever. Another reason I would stay away is buying one from a chainstore like Menards. I would imagine the warranty would not be for very long or have a hard time getting them to back it up.

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 12:31:15 am »
Greetings fellow Yooper!!  I'm in the southern U.P. and I began my hot tub quest at Walmart.com     They have what appears to be a "nice" hot tub for about $3200 with a million jets, ect.   After doing some research I spent more $$$ than I wanted to and ended up with a Hot Spring Jetsetter.   After I factored in numerous things, including insulation (obviously where we live), I think it will more than pay for the price difference in a few years.  Plus the Hot Spring spas are one of the best manufacturers of hot tubs, IMO.   Not sure how "north" you are, but I know Marquette has a Sundance and Great Lakes dealer under one roof.  Iron Mountain has an Arctic Spa dealer and Esky has a Hot Spring/Coleman dealer.  We also looked at Great Lakes, but I just didn't feel it was a quality product.  I don't mind paying more for what I feel is quality product.   You may think you're saving in the beginning, but in the end, I think you'll end up paying a lot more for a Menards, Walmart, ect tub.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:32:42 am by Spiderman »
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:21:44 am »
Menards Home Centers (similar to Lowes and Home Depot) have just started special ordering QCA Spas.
They are selling what appears to be the QCA Topaz 30 model for $3700.
The QCA web page shows the mfr. list price at $5700.+
Any one have knowledge of QCA Spas?
We are in northern U.P. MI so we need one that is able to withstand cold (minus 30 F) useage.
All repiles welcomed ::)

minus 30F is pretty damn cold and would test the best of tubs.  At $3700 I can't imagine  tub at the price would perfom well in Miami, least to say MI.  ::)

I'm not a big fan of the "polar insualtaion" (thermal pane), but am lead to belive that if done correctly, can be an effective method (Artic hot tub owners in Canada claim they work well for them).  Me, I'm a full foam guy and belive it's overall a better system.  I think you be best served looking around at some other tubs first (I'd recomend Hotsprings).  Be prepeared, a quality, well insualted hot tub is priced significantly more than the QCA tubs.  

I'm also left with a dubious feeling, since the website shows the HP of the jets, and combines that with the HP of the air blower for a total HP rating (which really isn't even an accurate way to judge a tub).  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:24:25 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:43:59 am »
I live about 1.5 hours from the quad cities and I know several folks who have the QCA hot tub and are very happy with it.

On the other hand the folks I know who own them have purchased them from a local dealer who, apparently, does a great job of taking care of his cusotmer.

That makes a big difference....

I would not buy a qca from a menards...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 12:30:25 pm »
Is it possible that QCA makes on line of spas for a dealer network, and another for sales thru big box stores like Menards?
It's been claimed that certain large retailers have enough sway with some manufacturers to get the company to make something with a brand but not necessarily to the same specs.
Honda comes to mind.  Certain lawn mowers, that are not Honda branded, brag they have a Honda engine.
But the engine isn't the same one Honda uses in the mowers with their own name.  
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 05:59:11 am »
My $.025947 to follow:
find a local dealer that you feel good about, and check out their lineup. ask to see under the skirting, so you can see how well insulated their brand is. If it's a thin coating of foam, consider how well/poorly it would work in your area. check out as many local dealers as you need to, and be prepared to spend extra dough on your purchase. I originally thought I was going to spend about $4k on a tub, and wound up spending just over $8k......I could've gotten a nice tub by the same manufacturer for a lot less, but I went haywire and decided I wanted almost top of the line through them, sooo...... *shrug* This is a purchase that should give you YEARS of enjoyment, try not to fall into the hole of "save now, pay later".
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 11:27:12 pm »
To All:
Thanks for your replies.
Was at a menards that had one of these on display and was able to take a close-up look see.
After reading all the postings on this site, I don't think this would be considered a very high quality unit.
So...will definately look further for a unit that is more suitable.
Thanks again. :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 11:27:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42