What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Overnight Drain  (Read 5147 times)

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Overnight Drain
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:34 pm »
On my 6th drain after almost 2 years of operation, I've decided not to wait even for my pool hose siphon to drain the spa.  I'll use the garden hose and do it overnight.  It'll definitely be empty and ready to clean by morning.  Can anyone think of a downside??
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:07:05 pm by tonyp »

Hot Tub Forum

Overnight Drain
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:06:34 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Overnight Drain
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 01:17:02 am »
make sure the power  is off.  A buddy just did his the other night and left the power on.  OOPS.   I think is heater may be shot now.

Thats the only negative that I can think of, the weather is to hot right now to worry about freezing, unless you are in alaska maybe.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 09:49:19 am »
My drain targets are Aug 1, Dec 1 and Apr 1 to minimize doing this during cold weather (in NW NJ).  The December drain is the only one with a real freeze possibility, although it's certainly not unheard of in April.

Well time to go out and vacuum out the water from the seats etc.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 09:55:04 am »
As long as the power is off, and there is no freeze danger, sounds like your plan should work.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 09:55:36 am by Brewman »
Brewman

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:58:51 am »
I bought a Little Giant submersible pump to help me out with faster drain and fills.  I will be trying it out next month to see how fast I can do it.  This will be a sort of "practice" for my first cold weather drain and fill sometime in December.

Any veterans out there want to offer tips for doing a drain and fill in the freezing weather?   (this will be my first winter as a spa owner)

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:33:24 am »
I recommend getting either vacuum or backwash hose from your spa dealer (if they also deal with pools) and using a shopvac to pump out the water.  Goes incredibly fast.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:50:36 am »
I bought a Little Giant submersible pump to help me out with faster drain and fills.  I will be trying it out next month to see how fast I can do it.  This will be a sort of "practice" for my first cold weather drain and fill sometime in December.

Any veterans out there want to offer tips for doing a drain and fill in the freezing weather?   (this will be my first winter as a spa owner)

I try and time my water changes to not have to shut down the spa in freezing weather- I guess I'm paranoid about what would happen if I filled the spa, then couldn't power up for some reason.

I usually change water in very early November, which almost always is above freezing.  I keep an eye on the temperature forecast.  The I ride it out in over the winter till March, when it warms up above freezing again.  
I have not had to so far, but I'd do a partial water change before a total dump out in the dead of winter.

My owners manual has a section on what to do if I need to drain my spa in freezing temperatures because of an emergency.

Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 10:57:19 am »
As long as the power is off, and there is no freeze danger, sounds like your plan should work.

... and you keep it covered.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hamrhed

• "Hard Tellin" "Not Knowin"
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 12:34:27 pm »
I drain mine overnight... (Hot Tub)

Power off, Lid down,,, Works great...

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 01:29:20 pm »
Since we're on the topic of draining, does anyone know of any danger the water can cause to grass or bushes?  I normally let my bromine get really low before doing the drain.  I can't imaging 102 degree water is going to burn anything.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 02:19:44 pm »
My dealer told me that it would not hurt the grass. But I have not performed my first drain yet. I'll experiment on my neighbours grass on my first drain (j/k).

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 02:26:18 pm »
My dealer told me that it would not hurt the grass. But I have not performed my first drain yet. I'll experiment on my neighbours grass on my first drain (j/k).

AS LONG AS you make sure the sanitizer level is down before draining. I tell the people I talk to (who are on chlorine) that all they need to do is don't add ANY chlorine the last 2 days and just before draining do a safety check of their levels and they'll probably find the chlorine to be lower than that of the water coming out of the tap.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 11:28:42 pm »
We've had posts here where bromine users claim that their grass greens up very nice from their old spa water.
Brewman

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 11:32:36 pm »
Cool.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »

If you "drain your tub" overnight while you are sleeping is it ok
if the tub empties and the sump pump keeps running when
there is no water in the tub?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 01:14:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42