What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need help - Sundance or Hot springs  (Read 3929 times)

volman

• Still lookin
Need help - Sundance or Hot springs
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:42:30 pm »
I'm new to the hot tub scene so I could use a little "helpful" info. planning on spending around 8K on a new tub, Sundance & Hot Spring dealers in my area.
What options do I need to look for & what should I stay away from?

Hot Tub Forum

Need help - Sundance or Hot springs
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:42:30 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Need help - Sundance or Hot springs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:59:32 pm »
Those are both very good brands.

If you can't or won't wet test, then at least spend lots of time with your hands and arms in front of the jets. Take the time to make adjustments, try different nozzles and settings.

Don't be afraid of jets with ball bearings: they are very comfortable, offer lots of variety - adjustability, and are covered by good warranties.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 01:00:03 pm »
Choosing a spa is a personal feeling kind of thing. The best way to decide is to wet test both tubs. Make an appointment with each dealer and get into the tubs and try out all the seats and all the jets. Make sure the dealer fills the tub that you are actually want to buy as each model will feel different. If the dealer is not willing to do it for you, he/she is probably not worth dealing with (and when you buy the tub you also buy a relationship).

We tested both the Sundance and Hot Spring. We liked the Hot Spring better, but not because one was better quality then the other, but because Hot Spring felt better to us and fit our needs better. We found that Sundance was too powerful and the jets kept pushing my wife out of most of the seats, there was only one seat that she could realistically use. I on the other hand had no problems with any of the seats, but found the foot-well jets much too strong. The Hot Spring Vanguard (which we bought) was perfect fro both of us and there is only one seat that my wife has difficulty using and we also loved the Moto massage.

As far as which tub is better, from my research I feel that both makes are in the top five and therefore quality wise are probably pretty close to each other. So wet test, wet test and wet test. More jets or more power is not necessarily better.

I felt that two pumps were better then one (for my needs) as it allows you to customize the use of jets better. I also felt that a 24 hour circ pump was better than jets going on and off to clean the tub. I personally did not feel I needed music built in to the tub, I do fine with just a ghetto blaster sitting near the tub. But like I said, everything depends on a person needs and wants.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 01:20:46 pm »
I'm new to the hot tub scene so I could use a little "helpful" info. planning on spending around 8K on a new tub, Sundance & Hot Spring dealers in my area.

As others have stated, the 2 brands you are looking at are very good brands.

Read through this forum as your question has been asked many many times before and you'll find a lot of good info.

As far as things to avoid:

1) Rebate programs that offer all your money back. Avoid this scam and dealers who promote it.

2) Internet dealers.   You want to wet test, and have a dealer that you can turn to when you have questions or problems.

3) Steroes, fancy lights and waterfalls:  These are all good, but if you are on a budget, don't give these a high priority. They can be very exspensive and add nothing to the quality of the hdryotheraopy.  TVs and hot tubs don't really mix well. Don't buy a tub with a pop up TV.  Rather, other members here have spent the money on an outodoor screen and projector unit, or mouted a TV near the tub

4) Tent sales on the side of the raod: Once again, do busiess with a dealer in a showroom. These traveling tent shows are high pressure, and often leave town and never come back

5) stick with  national, well established brands. Small inidvidual makers of tubs, while some maybe good, as a newbie, it's difficult to be able to judge all the components  and quality of the craftsmanship, the reliability and logenvity of the dealer.

6) While many folks here have reported they like thier Thermalspa (the folks on tv), many more claim that they are way, way way overpriced, have had a hard time with serivce and the sales taticst are very very very aggressive.

7) stay away from dealers that bad mouth other quality dealers and manufactuers.   It's a sign that they themselves are of dubious nature.  They should be able to explain to you in polite and intelligent way the advantages and disavatages of different tubs and dealers without resorting to trash talk.

8 ) Don't base your decision on jet count and/or HP of the pumps.  Base your decision on how the tub fits you, how the water therapy feels and how it performs.

9) Wet test. Compare tubs, shop around, ask questions. Don't buy the first tub you find.  There are a lot of good tubs out there, and buy from a position of knoweldge and choice. Perhas the first tub you saw is the right one, but you won't know that without looking around.

10) Research the dealer. Check with the BBB, get references. A trusted reliable dealer that takes care of his customers is worth it's wheight in gold.  

11) keep in mind, that in addition to the tub, (and the steps, and the cover) you're going to need a pad or upgrade your deck. There are siginificant installtion costs to be considered.  You will need an electrician to wire the tub to your house.

12) get a cover lifter.

13) Wet test, shop around  and ask questions. ( I know I'm repeatting myself, but this is the best advice you can get.)

14) don't forget us! wer'e nosey  folks and want to hear what you're finding out and see pics of the tub you finally purchased. Don't pick our brains and then disaper forever, this hurts Terminators feelings and you don't want to do that.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:06:08 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Razzman

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 02:12:44 pm »

Just went through the same decision as you're going through now, and 8K was our preferred price point too. Hot Springs, Sundance or Caldera were our choices. Tested the HS Envoy & Vanguard and Caldera Aspire & Moorea only to be totally swayed by the Sundance Majesta with the Accu-ssage seat, that thing is awesome IMO. I have Arthritis in the lower back as well as a bad back as it is from a motorcycle accident so this was the best for me. They are all good spas IMO and everyone has their preference so good luck as you can't go wrong with either one!

hymbaw

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:21:47 pm »
W We found that Sundance was too powerful and the jets kept pushing my wife out of most of the seats, there was only one seat that she could realistically use.

Just like with a car....you can't have too much power!

The jets on a Sundance are adjustable and can be turned down. I feel bad that you had a crappy salesperson that didn't point that out to you. :-[

I personally think that it's better to have more power and be able to dial it back than having not enough power.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

volman

• Still lookin
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 03:04:22 pm »
thanks for the help, I'll stay in touch on my purchase, just got my 12 x 12 concrete slab poured for my tub & screened tikki hut. In Tennesse we have mosquitos as big as small dogs so the screen is a must if you want to be out at night from april thru october. As I said before thanks for the help & is a lounger a plus or minus in the tub?

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 03:05:28 pm »
There were other factors too. Size was one since I have space restrictions on my deck and a couple of inches less made a big difference. To be truthful, I probably would have gone with the Jacuzzi 4 series or a HS Grandee had I had unlimited space.

volman

• Still lookin
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 03:12:50 pm »
Since my wife insisted I build a tikki hut I won't have any problem on size. I would like to have a tub that would accommodate 4 - 6 persons.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »
4-6 is considered average size. In HS line (the one I most familiar with) that would a Vanguard (no lounger) or Envoy (lounger). The Grandee is the biggest HS tub.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 03:26:54 pm »
Since my wife insisted I build a tikki hut I won't have any problem on size. I would like to have a tub that would accommodate 4 - 6 persons.

6 seats is different than being able to have 6 adults sitting in the tub comfortable at the same time.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 03:39:30 pm »
Good point.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 04:13:30 pm »
Too true.  My Optima is rated for 7 to 8 people.  To get 8 in the spa, every seat has to be occupied, including the one in front of the weir gate, and the one that is used to step down into the water.  
I'd say our spa very comfortably holds 4 or 5 adults.
Brewman

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 05:40:27 pm »
Check out the Accolade.  Chances are your dealer may not have one, but it's a great spa and very roomy for a four-seater.

Spiderman

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 05:59:18 pm »

6 seats is different than being able to have 6 adults sitting in the tub comfortable at the same time.  ;)

For after bar tubbing though, take the number of "rated" seats, then multiply by 2 1/2   This will be the number of drunks you can fit in your tub.  For example:  a 6 person tub X 2.5 =  15 people   ;D     Following my buddies bachelor party last year, we fit about 12 of us in a friends Coleman, which was rated for about 5 people.  When we all got out, there was about 18" of water left in it.  He said, at about 4:30 in the morning "I guess I'll deal with the water chemistry in the morning".   I thought it was pretty cool at the time, but now that I own my own hot tub, there's no way I would ever allow that to happen!!  :o

Back to the question:   as already stated, wet test any and all tubs you are interested in.  Since my wife is only 5'2", we ended up with the HS Jetsetter.  We tried the Vangaurd, Envoy, Bengal, and one other and the Jetsetter was the best fit for us.  It's only rated for 3 people, but for us and our two kids (small kids at this point) it's a great fit.  I was amazed at how important the wet test was.  I was even "floating away" at times in the Vangaurd and bigger tubs, and I'm 6'00"  .   Good luck!!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 05:59:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42