What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa salespeople  (Read 3403 times)

marianb

Spa salespeople
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:47:57 am »

Thinking about the salespeople I have met.....I met a Marquis dealer who warned me about getting spas        with 24 hour pumps, a Caldera dealer who told me that the Sundance dealer is "too new", luckily the HS salesperson didn't have anything negative to say about other products or dealerships.  
Granted, I am only first learning about spas.  The people I deal with are giving me first impressions that may change t which product I eventually purchase.
 Has anyone else experienced this?

Hot Tub Forum

Spa salespeople
« on: July 19, 2006, 05:47:57 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Spa salespeople
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 06:10:22 am »
Most will do that, but not all.

I went to about a dozen dealers and they were all different - a couple seemed great, one of them my dealer.

This is part of the process and unfortunately it's something we all have to go through with every big ticket item. When I was shopping for a car, I walked into a dealership and the salesman "knew" exactly what I wanted - a $31,000 mini van when I actually wanted a $21,000 mini van - I walked!

DON'T be swayed by the sales BS - other than buying a P.O.S., which none of the tubs mentioned seem to fall into that catagory, they all keep water hot and clean and feel good when inside it. The level of comfort with the tub and dealer is a personal thing and only you can decide what's right for you.

We all have our preferences on why we selected our tubs - mine was comfort, price and performance.  A dealer called me an idiot when I didn't buy his brand of tub but I didn't and am very happy with my decision.

Don't be pressured and don't buy anything "on the spot",  if you have second thoughts - go home and think about it and if it's right for you - then go back and buy it!

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:34:56 am »
One thing I learned in my search is the SPA business is a very strange business. Like Vinny said stick with the name brands (there are many) and narrow down the sytle and price you want to spend.

Most (not all) sales people are pretty sleezy IMO.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 08:07:59 am »

The people I deal with are giving me first impressions that may change t which product I eventually purchase.
  Has anyone else experienced this?

DEFINITELY.  The biggest offenders are those that concentrate on berating the competition instead of extolling their own products.  All spa shoppers need to educate themselves at sites like this site in order to sift the b.s.  Sounds like Marquis and Caldera are off your list for the same reason Sundance was stricken from mine.  Marquis, Caldera and Sundance are great products but I'm not going to support an idiot salesperson just to get a particular brand of spa...there are too many good spas to do that.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:34:11 am »
 I met a Marquis dealer who warned me about getting spas        with 24 hour pumps,

You could say something like that, or mention there are two ways of doing it and state the benefits of using the 2 speed pump.
a Caldera dealer who told me that the Sundance dealer is "too new",

I would just talk about how long the store I am at has been open, how long I have been in the business and mention the various lines I have sold. We also like to let people know we book and perform our own service calls (some of the competition subs it out).

You can promote yourself and your product with out bashing. You can even lay "landmines" by mentioning the things you differently or well and hopefully the shopper asks about these things at the next store. If you are really lucky, the questions will set the competitors salesperson into some bashing.

I try really hard not to bash, but it does happen occasionally. I usually can tell if I crossed the line, but usually at that point the damage is done.

Good luck with the shopping, good advice above.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 10:25:50 am »
I have a question when you say warn you....did he actually use that verb-age or was that the way you interpreted it....I like Hot-tub mans approach ..... :) lol...I should add talking about the good things we do.....we simply focus on what we and our manufactures believe Hot tub ownership is really all about....for us...its comfort, reliability, therapy and ease of ownership....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 11:40:04 am by Mendocino101 »

dadofrad

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:02:12 am »
If a sales man only has bad things to say about other
brands dosen't that tell you their must not be much good thing about his brand he is selling. When customer walk in to my store we only focus on the brands we sell and on selling our servic and not on the other brands or dealers.

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:31:29 pm »
Both of the Hot Spring dealers we went to were very good.  The dealer we bought our tub from was excellent.  She didn't try to sell us a more expensive tub or sell us on something we didn't need/want.  She even poked fun at the "water features" when I made a comment that it would be nice to have one.  I made the comment becuase the Jetsetter doesn't have a water feature, but the Soverign does.  So she says, "let me show you 'water feature' in a sarcastic tone".  I thought she was pretty honest for saying that.  

We really didn't look at any other tubs because I was sold on Hot Spring, because of their moto massage, reputation, ect.  The moto massage is awesum!!  Especially the DX.  

Like others have said, keep looking around here and don't put up with any BS at the spa dealerships.  Good luck!!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 07:17:23 am »
just for grins, ask your dealer to take off the front panel of whatever tub you're looking at, right there, on the showroom floor. The first dealer I went to gave me some BS line about how HARD that was to do, because they had to go into the back of the store, get the drill/driver, and remove FOUR (count 'em, ladies and gentlemen, 4!) screws! I asked on 3 separate visits before they opened 'er up, and I was NOT impressed with the mess under the cabinet. That made me rethink buying from them, as I wondered how hard it would be to get someone to come the 5 miles to my house in the event of service needed......FORGET IT!!!!
the dealer I bought from grabbed the drill, pulled the panel off the first time I asked....then asked if there was anything else he could do for me. Now THAT was what I wanted to deal with!
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 08:29:16 am »
just for grins, ask your dealer to take off the front panel of whatever tub you're looking at, right there, on the showroom floor. The first dealer I went to gave me some BS line about how HARD that was to do, because they had to go into the back of the store, get the drill/driver, and remove FOUR (count 'em, ladies and gentlemen, 4!) screws! I asked on 3 separate visits before they opened 'er up, and I was NOT impressed with the mess under the cabinet. That made me rethink buying from them, as I wondered how hard it would be to get someone to come the 5 miles to my house in the event of service needed......FORGET IT!!!!
the dealer I bought from grabbed the drill, pulled the panel off the first time I asked....then asked if there was anything else he could do for me. Now THAT was what I wanted to deal with!
Best of luck!

My dealer did the exact same thing - they went into their truck to get the drill driver - that impressed me a lot!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 11:12:34 am »
If a sales man only has bad things to say about other
brands dosen't that tell you their must not be much good thing about his brand he is selling.  

Absolutely NOT. It means that the salesperson is flawed or lacks confidence in himself, store or the product. It could be a Hot Spring / Hydropool / Sundance , if the salesperson bashes, does that make the HS / HP / SD low quality?
Homeworks Financing Representative

Bama

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 03:55:29 pm »
LOL...A sales rep with (Napoleon syndrome) attempted to keep us in the store, like car sales reps do....I asked the sales rep for a fact sheet on the spa since they didn't have a brochure and I couldn't stay any longer.  He was  READING the entire fact sheet to me. (Boring)  He became very rude when I attempted to explain to him that I needed to leave.  He said, "you took my time in asking questions, now you need to give me your time".
And would not release the fact sheet to me!
What a PSYCHO!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 03:56:53 pm by Bama »

Bama

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 04:00:12 pm »
I'm a newbie to the world of spa shopping.  However, it didn't take long for me to see that it is much like buying a car.  I suppose I didn't realize just how competitive the spa market is.  What a rude awakening!

anne

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 10:30:29 pm »
I know some of the spa dealers here get a bit ruffled by us (consumers) comparing you (dealers) to car salesmen..... the problem is that, well, a lot of your collegues come across that way. Most uf us had bad or at least frustrating experiences with spa dealers before finding the right one to buy from. I know I did, and it was soooooooo tempting just not to think about buying a spa at all after my first couple shopping days.  

But I'd like to throw this out there- we consumers know that there are good, conscietious, knowledgeable dealers out there, and there are also manipulative, seedy, greedy, DUMB ones, too. That is a generalization of humanity....... of which you represent a cross section. The only reason anyone compares you to a car dealer is that a car is the closest big ticket item most of us have had to purchase.  
Dance like nobody's watching

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 09:12:45 am »
I did not have a bad experience when I was shopping for a spa.  If a dealer had bad mouthed his competition, though, I would have run like hell.

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 09:12:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42