What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sanitizer/Chlorine Question  (Read 2637 times)

Spiderman

Sanitizer/Chlorine Question
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:30:08 am »
We've had our Jetsetter for a little over a week now and have been following the directions from HS.  After each use I put in 1 TBS of MPS and 1 1/2 tsp of Dichlor once a week.  I read some posts here in which some of you use Dichlor daily and then shock with MPS once a week.  Does it really matter which method you use or am I missing something?  ???  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Sanitizer/Chlorine Question
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:30:08 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Sanitizer/Chlorine Question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:39:20 am »
Are you sure you don't have that reversed?
From my limited experience with dichlor, I add after each use (equivalent to daily) and shock every week or so.  I usually use dichlor to shock, but occasionally I use some left over MPS from when I was on bromine.
MPS isn't a sanitizer, chlorine is.  
Does your spa have ozone?

Brewman

Brookenstein

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 10:47:24 am »
Nope, that is what the HS manual says... mine says it too.  I chose to use the dichlor after use and MPS weekly program instead.  Works great for me.  Never tried it the other way.

nicker

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:48:25 am »
I too use Dichlor after each use or each second use (depending on number of users in the tub).  Then shock once a week with MPS.  I use to use Dichlor to shock too but it never worked for me at all. MPS really seems to give the water that renewed feel.

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 12:07:35 pm »
I had the same question for my dealer as the LesureTime books say Renew (MPS) every day, and Spa56 (Diclor) and MPS once a week to shock.  

I have been told that I can do it either way.  He recommended daily Diclor as some of his customers report itching if MPS is too high.  I find that the water is a little effervescent when I add MPS and then get in an hour or 2 later.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 12:17:22 pm »
Nope, that is what the HS manual says... mine says it too.  I chose to use the dichlor after use and MPS weekly program instead.  Works great for me.  Never tried it the other way.

That's the way to go IMO.

From what I've seen, many/most that try to get by with just MPS per use run into issues and then when they switch to the dichlor per use and the MPS once per week to shock they see much better results.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 12:23:23 pm »
What then, I wonder, is the idea behind the MPS daily/dichlor weekly routine?  
Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:27:18 pm »
I thought I read somewhere that MPS adds significantly more TSD over time than Dichlor does?  Is that true, that would be a key point in making your water last longer.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 01:07:36 pm »
What then, I wonder, is the idea behind the MPS daily/dichlor weekly routine?  

I think that placates the people who go in with the misguided "we don't want to use much/any chlorine" thought.

I've seen many people who've had past experiences that turned them off to chlorine (i.e. some hot tub they had at their condo where there was massive chlorine used) so it takes time to bring them back into the light. These people want to use a minimal chlroine method and that's what many recommend largley to placate that type person. Later they often come around to the chlorine per use method and see how well it works.

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 01:54:08 pm »
When I first got my spa, I was following the daily MPS and weekly dichlor shock and I had a lots of water issues.

(Algae blooms - foam problems - scum - pH bounce - cloudy water).....you name it.

After my first drain and fill I switched to daily dichlor with weekly MPS shocks and all of the above water problems have vanished.

MPS is not a sanitizer and chlorine is.  I am much happier with the way my spa water looks using daily dichlor (adjusted for bather load).

Spiderman

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 01:57:15 pm »
So how much dichlor should I use after each use?  The Jetsetter is only around 225 gallons and for weekly shocking it says to use only 1 1/2 teaspoons.   And if I use dichlor for daily use, should I use MPS for weekly shocking or stick with the  1 1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor?   I didn't know owning a hot tub was going to bring back bad memories of chemistry class!!  ;D
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:01:23 pm »
So how much dichlor should I use after each use?  The Jetsetter is only around 225 gallons and for weekly shocking it says to use only 1 1/2 teaspoons.   And if I use dichlor for daily use, should I use MPS for weekly shocking or stick with the  1 1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor?   I didn't know owning a hot tub was going to bring back bad memories of chemistry class!!  ;D

I put about a teaspoon of dichlor in after each use (or every 3 days if I haven't used the spa).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 02:02:12 pm »

add enough diclor to get the readings up to 5 ppm 10 minutes after adding it. (and running the jets).  This may take a few times,  but it's worth it to know what's the right amount.

I have a 330 gal tub and add about 1-2 teaspoons depeniding on how may folks were in the tub and for how long.

try 1 teaspoon and see what you get for a reading after 10 minutes.

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

kellpup2112

• U win some, U lose some, but U party on 'em all!
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 02:12:52 pm »
I add 2 teaspoons of dichlor daily, whether we use the tub or not, but the wife and I soak an average of 6 days a week for about an hour. If we have guests, I use a little more.  I used to shock weekly with MPS, but recently switched to dichlor, about 5 teaspoons. Something was causing us to cough when the air was added to the jets, and we suspected a buildup of MPS.  Since switching to dichlor only, the water has remained crystal clear and the coughing is gone (but it's only been about a month). My tub holds 475 gallons.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 02:25:57 pm »

I tell people to add 1 tsp per person after each use and to shock with MPS weekly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 02:25:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42