What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: first time hot tub buyer  (Read 4610 times)

marianb

first time hot tub buyer
« on: July 16, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »
I am very new to the world of hot tubs!  My husband and I are planning to get one and I like to be sure I get the best one for us ... and that means research!  I don't really know what I want other than a lounger, good therapy jets, and something we can keep for years without problems. There's a Marquis dealer and a Vita dealer in our area.  We have friends who swear by Caldera, others who like Hot Springs and CalSpa. I am learning from your forum about remotes and monitors - and I have been reading here  about some of the price comparisons.  I'm in the northern Virginia area.  Can anyone offer any advice on reliable dealers and spas?

Hot Tub Forum

first time hot tub buyer
« on: July 16, 2006, 02:46:00 pm »

Spiderman

Re: first time hot tub buyer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 04:55:42 pm »
Forums like this are absolutely wonderful!!  My wife and I just bought our first hot tub.   We ended up with a Hot Spring Jetsetter and it is awesum!!  One thing I learned from this forum is to WET TEST at the dealership.  At first I thought it was a crazy idea and my wife really thought it was crazy.  That was until AFTER we wet tested.  We tried about 5 different tubs, some Hot Springs, some Tiger River, some 6 person tubs and some smaller ones.  The weird thing about it, is that the smallest tub, the Jetsetter was the most comfortable for us.  We have two small children (3 & 7) and it's perfect for us.  I know as they get bigger, the tub will get smaller, but we're family and we'll figure it out, or squeeze in together  :o   My wife is only 5'2" and just about drown in the other tubs.  Thanks to this forum we ended up with a hot tub that we love and know is a quality product.  I went from looking at Wal-Mart tubs to ending up spending a lot more than I wanted to for a Hot Spring, but after having this baby for a few days now, we know it was a great investment.  So, keep looking around this forum, ask questions and WET TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

blakley33

• skin to win...in my tub!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 05:45:40 pm »
Yes you always want to wet test. We ended up going with a brand that you do not hear alot about on here. It is a Catalina Stealth Raptor. I am not sure why you don't hear much about them on here but they are a well known tub company and seem to make a very good product. I did alot of research before my wife and I bought our tub, it can be a pain hunting and searching all of the brands.
We have a lounger and 5 seats with 66 jets. It is 93x93x40 large tub. We did have it upgraded and had the stereo with the amp and  subwoofer, fiber optics, Misters, etc.
There are alot of great tubs out there and this forum speaks about alot of them and you will get great advice on here. I just wanted to tell you about Catalina and suggest that you may want to check into them as well.
www.catalinaspas.com
Good luck on whatever tub you end up with, all I can say is hurry and get it done because you are missing out on something great until you have one sitting in your back yard.

marianb

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 05:46:00 pm »
Thanks so much for your response.  Although I  will have no trouble hopping into my suit for a wet test when I suggest it , my husband will look at me over his glasses with one eyebrow up.  Everyone knows the look.  I am hoping I can convince him to try them out.

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 10:57:11 am »
Welcome to the forum.  You mentioned you had a Marquis dealer in your area.  We own a Marquis Epic and love it!  As far as therapy I don't think you can beat it.  It's the flagship in the Marquis line so it may be pricey but it's a great tub.  They also have an everyday line and their 530 and 630 have gotten great reviews as well.  

Best advice is to look at as many manufacturers as you can and WET TEST.  You'll find what's right for you.  Good luck.
2005 Marquis Epic

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 02:26:19 pm »
If you're looking for the Cadillac of Spa's, get any Hotspring model, or a Tiger river caspian.

:o

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 02:37:17 pm »
Or,  you could try and find a used artesian. Most of the time they work pretty good, and if you are on a tight budget, or don't have a lot of extra money, they are  not too bad.  

07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 02:40:56 pm »
If you're looking for the Cadillac of Spa's, get any Hotspring model, or a Tiger river caspian.

:o

Of course this is his or her opinion!

There are MANY quality brands out there ... some maybe even better than Hot Springs or Tiger River ... of course this is my opinion.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 02:43:52 pm »

Of course this is his or her opinion!

There are MANY quality brands out there ... some maybe even better than Hot Springs or Tiger River ... of course this is my opinion.

That's sledjunkies way of busting me.

He was givving cass a hard time because her TR has a problem  and when i reminded him that even cadilaics have problems, he took it to mean that I belived TR to be a cadiilac.

Eh. What ever.

But I did mean what I said about Artesian, despite what a lot of folks think, they're not too bad, and surprisingly I've actualy  met a few Artesian owners and  I was pleasntely surprised to find that not  all Artesian owners have thier head up thier back side.

Yea, I was surpirsed too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:51:38 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 03:20:28 pm »
marianb -
My advice, be careful these forums are loaded with dealers.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 03:25:19 pm »
Drew -
You're right, Cadillac is the wrong term.

Hotsprings is more like a Lexus, same thing as Toyota just paying extra for the name.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 03:32:56 pm »
Drew -
You're right, Cadillac is the wrong term.

Hotsprings is more like a Lexus, same thing as Toyota just paying extra for the name.

;D
The day I start reading about folks on here raving about their 15 -25 year old off brand spas is the day ya'll MIGHT convince me that someone builds a better spa than HotSpring.

Until then, I'll just keep getting a chuckle out of the snide little remarks directed our way while me and my very satisfied customers enjoy ourselves and our spas.

:) :) :)
Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hawkman

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 03:40:48 pm »
As Spiderman mentioed, wet test. There is no substituition. What looks like it may be comfortable could turn into a very uncomfortable big box with water sitting on your deck.

Many times the dealer will let you come in after hours so no one else is there incase you dont want to be seen in your b-suit.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 03:42:28 pm »

;D
The day I start reading about folks on here raving about their 15 -25 year old off brand spas is the day ya'll MIGHT convince me that someone builds a better spa than HotSpring.

Until then, I'll just keep getting a chuckle out of the snide little remarks directed our way while me and my very satisfied customers enjoy ourselves and our spas.

:) :) :)
Terminator

Of course someone needs to be around to fix those COSTCO spas! ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 03:46:16 pm »

That's sledjunkies way of busting me.

He gave was givving cass a hard time because her TR has a problem  and when i reminded him that even cadilaics have problems, he took it to mean that I belived TR to be a cadiilac.

Eh. What ever.

But I did mean what I said about Artesian, despite what a lot of folks think, they're not too bad, and surprisingly I've actualy  met a few Artesian owners and  I was pleasntely surprised to find that not  all Artesian owners have thier head up thier back side.

Yea, I was surpirsed too.

From where I sit a lot of folks think that Artesian is WAY better than any HS/TR or HS not HS COSCO spa. That's even after removing my head out of my backside! ;) ;D

Don't get me started ... >:(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 03:46:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42