What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump Problem  (Read 1910 times)

brian_tr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Pump Problem
« on: July 16, 2006, 08:41:15 am »
I have a 2002 Sundance Cameo.  When I got home this morning the breaker was tripped.  I took the access door off and reset breaker.  When I turned my 2 speed pump on smoke started coming out from the motor compartment and then it tripped again.  I took the access door for pump off.  Can smell smoke from motor.  Motor worked until it tripped.  I take it the motor is bad?  I ran the other pump and shocked it.  Will probably be several days before I can get it worked on.  Should I just leave it as is?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:43:18 am by brian_tr »

Hot Tub Forum

Pump Problem
« on: July 16, 2006, 08:41:15 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Pump Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 10:54:53 am »
I'm sure some Sundance experts will come along, but a similar thing happened to me previously.  I followed the wiring for the pump back into the controller box. I opened the controller to see the pump wiring had a connector on it. I was able to unplug pump #2 which allowed the spa to remain powered. This was winter and the other pump in my spa runs for heating and filtration. This allowed my dealer to take a couple of days to get there.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 04:41:47 am »
Usually a motor starts to burn up when the output shafts starts dragging.  It could be caused by the bearings going out in the motor or the device attached to the shaft is causing it (id the pumo).

Either way the motor has to work harder by drawing more current and eventually a breaker trips - preferably before it catches on fire.

But we all know about Murphy's Law.  A $300 motor will go out first in order to protect a 20 cent fuse.

r100rs

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:42:44 am »
If you're still under warranty, I'd let it be and call service.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:42:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42