What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Advice on Marquis 530U vs. Epic (warranty issues)  (Read 3660 times)

Gholead

• This space for rent
Advice on Marquis 530U vs. Epic (warranty issues)
« on: July 13, 2006, 06:08:05 pm »
We're in the market to buy our first spa and it may come down to choosing between alternate Marquis products.  We wet tested the 530 ultimate package and the Epic and liked them both, but I was surprised at how little the extra jets, pump power and flow rate did for me-- and I'm the one looking for hydrotherapy, my wife just likes to soak.  The added size of the Epic is actually a mild disadvantage for us and the space we've got.   Based just on the wet test, I'd say that the Epic was not worth the extra $3300 it would cost at the prices we were quoted.

So, what about other features?  Marquis claims that the engineering and, except where noted, the components are the same across all their product lines.  If I discount the added jets, size and pump power, then the only real difference I see seems to be the floating remote and in-home monitor which come standard on the Epic, but not on the 530U.  They're nice-to-haves, but not worth $3300.  

So, question 1 is:  Am I missing something?  Is there a good reason we should buy the Epic over the 530U?

The one significant difference is the warranty.  The Epic has a 7-5-3 warranty (structure-major components-factory parts) while the 530U has a 5-3-1 warranty.  We're risk adverse, so having a better warranty (especially on a new product we don't fully understand) is a big plus ... Question #2 is:  but is it worth $3300?  

Questions #3-5 go toward answering #2:  Can anyone give me some idea about the cost of major repairs?  Assume the heater goes out in 3.1 years (just after warranty expires) on the 530U-- what will that cost to repair/replace?  What if the ozonator dies in 1.1 year?  What if a pump seal fails in 3.1?

Any and all advice is appreciated.  

BTW, having hung around the flame fests that masquerade as other spa forums, this one is a wonderful breath of fresh air.  Congrats!

--Gholead

Hot Tub Forum

Advice on Marquis 530U vs. Epic (warranty issues)
« on: July 13, 2006, 06:08:05 pm »

cappykat

Re: Advice on Marquis 530U vs. Epic (warranty issu
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 06:52:46 pm »
Have you wet tested?  Which did you prefer?  

Have you looked at any other manufacturers?  I'm a Epic owner and for the most part I'm happy with it.  I thought I did a lot of research, testing, etc. before we bought it, but if I had to do it over I would probably go with a tub that gave me power in all seats without sacrificing one seat over the other.  Make sure you understand the tri-zone therapy.  

Marquis makes a quality product and the Epic is the flagship.  We've had no problems with ours.  I'm just saying to look at many hot-tubs and wet test them.  You'll know which one is the right one for you.
2005 Marquis Epic

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:52:55 pm »
I think if the 530 works for you, than at its savings it is a good choice....YES it is the same build standards on the 530. You do get more features on the Epic but you will pay for them....I like the 530 more than the 630 as far the placements of the jets....Agian if it works for you than it is a solid choice.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 07:42:11 pm »
We were in the exact situation as you are..between the 530U and the Epic. Our price range fit the 530, but we made the mistake of jumping into the Epic.. We are a family of 4, two teenage boys, hubby and myself.  when the four of us sat in the 530, we ended up touching each other. The Epic was roomy and the footwell was deep we could all sit or move around and not bother one another. I was looking for a tub for therapy, as I have Lyme disease. My husband was going along for the ride, so to speak ...until he got into the Epic. (He now claims he will never be without "His tub")!

I honestly don't think that you can appreciate the tri-zone therapy until you know it and live with it a while. We had the advantage of getting a sales person who had an Epic at home, so she was able to show us just how versitile the Tri-zone really is. As you get to know each seat and how to adjust the tri-zone contols, you realize that you can get just about any type of therapy that you need. For example, I love the deep therapy seat for the excellent back and neck therapy but also the fantastic foot massage. Can I do all this at once? YES, by moving the two diverters between the number settings. My point is that the diverters don't have to be set at 1, 2 or 3. There are the many therapy combinations in between. The lounge has great thigh, calf and foot therapy as well as back and neck, but you can also sit in the cool down seat adjacent to it and get back, calf and foot from a seated position.  I guess I am blubbering but we really love our Epic and I am a person who looks for versitility.

I actually looked at the warranty issue like this...I felt like you, I don't know anything about repair, so a warranty was important. I took the cost of my tub and divided it by the years in the warranty. That sounds nuts, but if you do that, you will see the tubs actually cost almost the same per year under warranty. .. ;)
As for the in home monitor, I believe I posted about that the other day. It is a "nice- to-have"but now that I have it, it is a must for me. Especially in the winter, if you live in a cold weather area.
I'm sorry if this is more information than you really wanted but your question was Are we missing something...and I guess I have to say, you will love the 530U, no doubt, but yes you will be missing something. :-/
Do yourself a favor and go back and wet test one more time. Play with the Tri-Zone and take your time.
Good luck  ;) Boni
Support your dealer so they can support you!

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 08:24:48 pm »
I'll back up bonibelle on the in-home monitor.  It took forever for my husband to get it setup (not because it's hard he's just a proscrastinator) and now we love it!  We also love the stereo.  I didn't mean to sound as though we don't love our tub.  It's generally just my husband and myself but we love to entertain so when there are more than 4 in the tub I feel you sacrifice some seats.  I do think the Epic has great therapy.  You can turn off the jets in some seats which increases the power and you get an even deeper massage.

My point was simply to look at all the quality tubs you can and wet test.  You'll know which one you like.
2005 Marquis Epic

MarKee

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:31:10 pm »
Differences between the two:

-2 years more warranty in each category on the Epic

-DuraBase on the Epic, standard polysheet bottom on the 530

-Aqua Ambiance colored lighting on the Epic standard

-Waterfall light on the Epic, only comes on the Marquis line

-4 button remote standard on Epic

-In-Home monitor standard on Epic

-10 button control with larger display on Epic

-Tri-zone therapy control in Epic vs. dual-zone Powershift control in the 530

-320 GPM in Epic vs 290 GPM in 530

Both are great tubs.  The Epic is the most popular in the Marquis line, but the 530 is the most popular in the Everyday line.  I've had wet-testers prefer the 530 over the Epic before, it just depends on the person.  

As far as parts after the warranty expires, the most expensive thing you would ever have to replace would be a pump which is approx 4-500.  Ozonators and heaters are around $150-200.  Another nice thing, if there ever is a problem, most home owners are able to replace ozonators and heaters themselves if that is out of the warranty period.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 08:16:13 am »
If the only meaningful difference to you is the warranty, do you really think you're going to spend anywhere near $3300 on repairs during the 2 year gap?
Most likely you won't have to spend anything, and if that's the case then you'd have spent $3300 on nothing.
That's assuming that you value none of the other differences that make the tub more expensive.

Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:42 am »
If the only meaningful difference to you is the warranty, do you really think you're going to spend anywhere near $3300 on repairs during the 2 year gap?
 Most likely you won't have to spend anything, and if that's the case then you'd have spent $3300 on nothing.
 That's assuming that you value none of the other differences that make the tub more expensive.

I'd have to agree with Brewman. There are obviously a few differences but the 3 most significant advantages for the Epic over the 530 certainly seem to be

1) the larger size (but you don't seem to want/neeed that),
2) the better jets and hydrotherapy (but you didn't seem to think so),
3) of course the added warranty.

That $3300 you would save on the 530 will really be worth about $4500 five yrs from now when the 530's warranty is up so I'd say save the extra cash and get he spa that you've already determined will do the trick.  
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42